Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Post by JLives »

I'm becoming very frustrated with the amount of non-instructional activities taking away from my child's education. We have 187 instructional days this year for education so a hair over half a year. June is a write-off and so is the first half of September. I'm not against this event specifically but the number of them is getting out of hand. If I did not supplement at home I shudder to think where my child would be at academically. I understand wanting to get kids motivated to be active and take part in team sports but I think a game of floor hockey with the players may have a greater effect. I get that kids want to have fun but it's getting out of hand.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

westside105 wrote:yeah Roadster the kids just LOVE it !! the "net" is always ready for some action :) and I am an *older* stay at home mom...drive a crappy old car, don't own a cell phone (the money can be spent on other things IMO) live in a small home, all for our kid...the kids play hockey (they also trade hockey cards) after school and homework is done after dinner cause he aint allow out after dark...he's doing awesome in school and doesn't have FB, a cell phone and very limited time on the family computer...this whole Hockey thing was a godsent to my son :) it's the total dinner table talk every single night..

but I respect your opinion Grammafreddy, but please give some parents a wee bit of credit...some of us are "old school" too..

:nyah: So nice to still see parents like you out there!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

thank you for the compliment Prairieflower (blush..lol) but I give the credit to my wonderful mother (god rest her soul and lordy I miss her so much !!) she told me from the minute my son was born...put the "time" in now when he's young and you won't have to later...it's working so far :)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

westside105 wrote:thank you for the compliment Prairieflower (blush..lol) but I give the credit to my wonderful mother (god rest her soul and lordy I miss her so much !!) she told me from the minute my son was born...put the "time" in now when he's young and you won't have to later...it's working so far :)

Wise mom. I miss mine, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

So this hockey thing was a good thing!!
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Hahahahaa nooooooooooooooo Fancy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

jennylives wrote:I'm becoming very frustrated with the amount of non-instructional activities taking away from my child's education. We have 187 instructional days this year for education so a hair over half a year. June is a write-off and so is the first half of September. I'm not against this event specifically but the number of them is getting out of hand. If I did not supplement at home I shudder to think where my child would be at academically. I understand wanting to get kids motivated to be active and take part in team sports but I think a game of floor hockey with the players may have a greater effect. I get that kids want to have fun but it's getting out of hand.

So how many days is the average for actual education? And did this hockey game take away from any of it?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Kids are in school for 187 days in our district. I'm not sure if they count half days around parent/teacher interview time in that amount but I would guess that they do. Field trips will vary school to school. In our school June was a constant barrage of trips to the pool, water slides, fun days, movies, track and field. I have no problem once in awhile but it is becoming way too much. Field trips can be educational too, school doesn't need to be sitting at a desk listening to the teacher talk by any means. I'd rather see more trips to the museum, observatory, a local farm, nature walks and things that have more academics involved as well as exercise. Our kids know how to have fun, let's focus more on the educating part. I'm not saying to rule out things like this, I'm saying we need far more moderation of it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

This thread is amazing because something so absolutely minor stirs up this forum to a level of classless name-calling and ignorance that would probably embarrass the kids you are all talking about.

School classes are planned with this sort of thing in mind. I imagine that letting kids leave early for parent/teacher interviews, and stat holidays are terrible, soullessly wrong decisions made by the School District, too.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

People here should start a new activist group, MADFK.

Mothers Against Days-Off For Kids.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

jennylives wrote:Kids are in school for 187 days in our district. I'm not sure if they count half days around parent/teacher interview time in that amount but I would guess that they do. Field trips will vary school to school. In our school June was a constant barrage of trips to the pool, water slides, fun days, movies, track and field. I have no problem once in awhile but it is becoming way too much. Field trips can be educational too, school doesn't need to be sitting at a desk listening to the teacher talk by any means. I'd rather see more trips to the museum, observatory, a local farm, nature walks and things that have more academics involved as well as exercise. Our kids know how to have fun, let's focus more on the educating part. I'm not saying to rule out things like this, I'm saying we need far more moderation of it.

:rate10:

Good post, Jenny.

187 days in a school year ... not a lot of time, really, and then the kids lose even more actual lesson time with all kinds of extra activities. To my way of thinking, kids today don't get enough of the basics - the actual school-type stuff - math, reading and writing and spelling and grammar, science and nature, geography and history. I am constantly amazed that parents don't place a higher value on teaching kids things and seem to value the fluff stuff more than the school stuff. Don't parents want their kids educated? Don't they want their kids to be able to function on a world scale with other kids from other countries competing for jobs and opportunities in the real world? Are parents happy that schools today are producing dummies who can't even communicate properly, let alone have any sort of responsibility for themselves and their futures? Is working at WalMart the best you want for your kids? Even WalMart has higher standards than what some of these kids are able to attain after twelve years of "school". Is having fun more important than an education they have to work at in order to achieve a reasonable job after school is completed? Is producing a batch of dummies what parents want in order for all children to "be equal" on the education scale? Do you want your child to only be as intelligent as the dumbest kid in the school?

FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

grammafreddy wrote: :rate10:

Good post, Jenny.

187 days in a school year ... not a lot of time, really, and then the kids lose even more actual lesson time with all kinds of extra activities. To my way of thinking, kids today don't get enough of the basics - the actual school-type stuff - math, reading and writing and spelling and grammar, science and nature, geography and history. I am constantly amazed that parents don't place a higher value on teaching kids things and seem to value the fluff stuff more than the school stuff. Don't parents want their kids educated? Don't they want their kids to be able to function on a world scale with other kids from other countries competing for jobs and opportunities in the real world? Are parents happy that schools today are producing dummies who can't even communicate properly, let alone have any sort of responsibility for themselves and their futures? Is working at WalMart the best you want for your kids? Even WalMart has higher standards than what some of these kids are able to attain after twelve years of "school". Is having fun more important than an education they have to work at in order to achieve a reasonable job after school is completed? Is producing a batch of dummies what parents want in order for all children to "be equal" on the education scale? Do you want your child to only be as intelligent as the dumbest kid in the school?

As much of a shock as this may be, kids learn more outside of a class room than they do in it. Even when I went to school, I learned the basics in the courses that I took, but it did nothing to prepare me for life getting out of it.

If a child is lacking a lot of basics, a lot of it has to do with their home life as well. And if you want to get ahead, college or university is going to be what makes or breaks a future, not banning field trips in school.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/legislation/s ... 114-02.pdf

It's set out - instructional days and non-instructional days. Not going to the game would not mean more instruction.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Fancy wrote:http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/legislation/schoollaw/d/bcreg_114-02.pdf

It's set out - instructional days and non-instructional days. Not going to the game would not mean more instruction.

Why does that not surprise me?

bigtdawg
Fledgling

Post by bigtdawg »

I can't imagine what your children do on a snow day....
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin

Return to “Central Okanagan”