Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Quit the bitching 'n whining about the kids missing a half day of school and congratulate them for coming together and helping the Food Bank.

Food bank scores from Warriors' game
by Wayne Moore - Story: 82329
Oct 25, 2012 / 10:27 am

The West Kelowna Warriors hosted their first ever regular season School Game Tuesday as they entertained close to 1400 students from West Kelowna/Peachland.

While the Warriors fell 4-3 in overtime to the Penticton Vees Tuesday morning, the Westside Community Food Bank came out big winners.

Students attending the game were encouraged to bring non-perishable food, or a small cash donation to the game in support of the food bank.

The Warriors, the students, and other fans were able to raise $1,000 cash, and fill two apple bins full of food.

Wednesday, several Warriors players including Max French, Shawn Hochhausen, Marcus Basara, Brett Zarazun, and Matthew Berry-Lamontagna delivered the food and cash to the Food Bank with Stuntman Steve!

“I’ve played in big arenas before, but yesterday (Tuesday) the buzz inside our barn was nothing like I’ve experienced before,” says Warriors sniper Marcus Basara.

“Since I’ve been here I know our team thrives on giving back to the community and the schools, so this is just another huge extension of that obviously.”

Subway, Booster Juice, and the Warriors made it possible for the kids to come to the game for free, aside from the donations.

The Warriors wish to thank the following schools for attending Tuesday's game and making such a huge charitable donation:

•Glenrosa Elementary
•Helen Gorman Elementary
•Hudson Road Elementary
•Chief Tomat Elementary
•Peachland Elementary
•Our Lady of Lourdes
•Sensisyusten

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#82337
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

oneh2obabe wrote:Subway, Booster Juice, and the Warriors made it possible for the kids to come to the game for free, aside from the donations.

So here's my only real problem with this.... why didn't the hockey teams 100% DONATE the game to the kids? Why was it made possible thanks to Subway, Booster Juice, and the Warriors? How much $ did the businessess donate to make it "free." Did the donation also go to the food bank, or did it go to ticket sales? If they still had to pay for tickets, then I'm not in agreement. If they're truly sharing love of the game, etc then take the loss for it. If the Warriors and Vees did not make a profit off of it, then I'm ok with it. (though could probably come up with a zillion better field trip ideas, though that would be just my opinion.

Oh, and ha ha, Vees won. :-p (yep, I'm from Penticton.)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:Quit the bitching 'n whining about the kids missing a half day of school and congratulate them for coming together and helping the Food Bank.

:200: :200: :200:

Maybe if those kids had a better basic education there wouldn't be so many people needing the Food Bank - maybe they could get better jobs and afford to feed the kids they bring into the world.

Nawww ........ better to have those kids having fun and not learning anything they don't think is fun. Fun is paramount to everything.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

There are costs associated with putting on a game (arena staff, officials, possibly fees to use the facility), and it sounds like the Warriors were fortunate enough to get sponsors to cover some or all of them. Sponsorships are what make sports of all levels tick, so I don't see why that's a big deal. The Warriors did their part by organizing the game and playing it.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:Maybe if those kids had a better basic education there wouldn't be so many people needing the Food Bank - maybe they could get better jobs and afford to feed the kids they bring into the world.

Nawww ........ better to have those kids having fun and not learning anything they don't think is fun. Fun is paramount to everything.

We get it ... you don't like religion, kids having a bit of fun, adults who through no fault of their own (hours cut, laid off, etc.) have to use the food bank to feed their family, government, new laws, credit cards, ... there's more but I can't think of them right now. No wonder some kids have little respect for a few "adults" these days when they have nothing good to say about anything the kids do, especially when it involves helping the community.

The kids missed half a day of school. The kids donated $1,000 and 2 huge bins of food to the food bank. Kudos to them!
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

grammafreddy wrote:
oneh2obabe wrote:Quit the bitching 'n whining about the kids missing a half day of school and congratulate them for coming together and helping the Food Bank.

Maybe if those kids had a better basic education there wouldn't be so many people needing the Food Bank - maybe they could get better jobs and afford to feed the kids they bring into the world.

Oh good Lord. Why don't you check back in 20 years, so you can tell them all how that day of classes they missed in Grade 5 was the tipping point.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:Maybe if those kids had a better basic education there wouldn't be so many people needing the Food Bank - maybe they could get better jobs and afford to feed the kids they bring into the world.

oneh2obabe wrote:We get it ... you don't like religion, kids having a bit of fun, adults who through no fault of their own (hours cut, laid off, etc.) have to use the food bank to feed their family, government, new laws, credit cards, ... there's more but I can't think of them right now. No wonder some kids have little respect for a few "adults" these days when they have nothing good to say about anything the kids do, especially when it involves helping the community.

The kids missed half a day of school. The kids donated $1,000 and 2 huge bins of food to the food bank. Kudos to them!

Coulda done it on a Saturday or Sunday and the kids coulda gone to school and learned how to spell or something. That would have still "helped the community" and the kids mighta learned a lesson in personal responsibility and commitment and a few other things, too.

No wonder some folks have little respect for parents and kids who think having fun and doing/having what they want is the most important thing in their lives.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:

JayByrd wrote:Oh good Lord. Why don't you check back in 20 years, so you can tell them all how that day of classes they missed in Grade 5 was the tipping point.

Oh good lord ... why don't you add up all these full and half days of learning time the kids are taking/getting off out of their 187 days of a school calendar year and multiple that by 12 years of schooling that the kids and the school system wasted.

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Anyways, kudos to the Westside Warriors and Penticton Vees for making this event happen, and congratulations to the students of West Kelowna and Peachland for their efforts to support the Food Bank! Well done everyone!
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

grammafreddy wrote: :200: :200: :200:

I would argue that a lot of those who use the Food Bank are people who successfully completed their high school. And yet they still need a hand to feed themselves and their family due to a variety of reasons.

Get off the high horse.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote: :200: :200: :200:

FreeRights wrote:I would argue that a lot of those who use the Food Bank are people who successfully completed their high school. And yet they still need a hand to feed themselves and their family due to a variety of reasons.

Get off the high horse.

"Successfully completed high school" does not mean they are educated or intelligent.

Some people need to raise their expectations of the public system they have for educating their children. Maybe high horses are what is lacking.

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

"Successfully completed high school" does not mean they are educated or intelligent.

Some people need to raise their expectations of the public system they have for educating their children. Maybe high horses are what is lacking.[/quote]

I feel sorry for you people, really do.
To be so empty, and hateful and resentful...
they are kids for gods sake.
I thank God my kids have me for a parent.
I look at the whole picture and not dwell on the past.

I hope we never meet.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

JayByrd wrote:Anyways, kudos to the Westside Warriors and Penticton Vees for making this event happen, and congratulations to the students of West Kelowna and Peachland for their efforts to support the Food Bank! Well done everyone!

Good post!
2bonline

Post by 2bonline »

A high school diploma is a sure indicator that an individual is both educated and intelligent. Why GF do you think most employers demand it? Just what level of education, field trips to a hockey game excluded, denies someone from using a food bank GF? If you can only focus on the "supposed" negative results of the field trip I suggest you re-think your opinion.

As a child, I had a teacher who quickly recognized the lack of a father influence in my life and her husband took me out of class(with my mothers permission of course) and took me to a Vancouver Canucks practise where I got to meet the players. I have never forgotten that day, the kindness extended to me and the empathy it instilled in me. Now is that not an education GF?

Did it occur to you that that field trip might be the only opportunity for some children to have that experience? Did it occur to you that if even one child benefits and has a wonderful childhood memory to hold on to for their life the whole exercise was worth it? Did it occur to you that the day might inspire the children to work hard. Did it occur to you that the day might have been followed up by a great learning exercise. Should some young Canadian boy or girl be denied the priviledge of ever watching a live hockey game during school hours even it is their only chance because people of an ilk such as yours say it is wrong?

It seems you just view the whole thing as someone getting a free ride which heavan forbid is just wrong.

High horse indeed!
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

:rate10:

Return to “Central Okanagan”