Is this against the law?

OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Is this against the law?

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

gardengirl wrote:
WhatThe wrote:Be honest, what really is the problem here? Legalities aside.
Is it you just don't want poor people trying to meek out a living in your neighbourhood? Or you just don't want "rubbies" in your neighbourhood?

Well, some of us have moved up here from places downtown. There is a reason for that. We moved here after a guy in our building lit his apartment on fire while cooking meth on the stove. He was a "poor person" too.

It's not like this is a high-end part of town, but it is not the inner city either. It's a blue collar, working persons, quiet neighborhood. That's why we bought our home here.

Again, I am not the only person who is not comfortable with this guy.

Oh my, there are poor people in most neighbourhoods. They don't all dig in garbage and recycle bins, the don't all cook meth, they don't all try to make others uncomfortable with their 'poorness'.
If you wish to live in paradise, it will cost you dearly.
And those are the folks you would live with, happily ever after.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Fancy wrote:There's a big difference between "fearful" and "uncomfortable". I would think "creepy" would be self-explanatory.

ALL are subjective!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:
WhatThe wrote:Be honest, what really is the problem here? Legalities aside.
Is it you just don't want poor people trying to meek out a living in your neighbourhood? Or you just don't want "rubbies" in your neighbourhood?

Well, some of us have moved up here from places downtown. There is a reason for that. We moved here after a guy in our building lit his apartment on fire while cooking meth on the stove. He was a "poor person" too.

It's not like this is a high-end part of town, but it is not the inner city either. It's a blue collar, working persons, quiet neighborhood. That's why we bought our home here.

Again, I am not the only person who is not comfortable with this guy.

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:Oh my, there are poor people in most neighbourhoods. They don't all dig in garbage and recycle bins, the don't all cook meth, they don't all try to make others uncomfortable with their 'poorness'.
If you wish to live in paradise, it will cost you dearly.
And those are the folks you would live with, happily ever after.

Don't put words in my mouth. I am not the one who said the guy was poor, or anything else. I simply described what he was doing and the fact that I was uncomfortable with it. For all I know, he could have a great job and live in a big fancy house. I could care less. It is his actions I have a problem with.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

So, for all of you who are frightened by this "creepy" man...Have any of you actually called bylaw yet?? Have you called to complain, to ask what you can do, etc???
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Darlin06 wrote:So, for all of you who are frightened by this "creepy" man...Have any of you actually called bylaw yet?? Have you called to complain, to ask what you can do, etc???

No one here used the word "frightened". I don't know if anyone has called bylaw. If I had his licence number I would call myself.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Some people like to embellish - this thread is worse than the telephone game. OP asked a simple question, wasn't sure what to do about the information they had and they have their answer now. They can proceed as they wish. If I find someone "creepy" doesn't mean I'm frightened but will be a little wary.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:
Fancy wrote:There's a big difference between "fearful" and "uncomfortable". I would think "creepy" would be self-explanatory.

ALL are subjective!
I'll suggest those that change words around look them up in the dictionary first or actually quote what posters are saying instead of embellishing.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

How dare someone steal garbage!!
Sure do love Rutland!!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And use it for Identity theft!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Queen K wrote:And use it for Identity theft!

If you're that paranoid I'm sure you know how to easily combat that possibility. As for the rest of the good garbage.....hmmmm can't help there!
Sure do love Rutland!!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes I do know how, but do you know how many still don't "get it"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/2 ... 07485.html
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TaraD

Post by TaraD »

I come to this thread rather late so am not sure if anyone has previously mentioned this or not, but pop cans, bottles, juice containers, anything with a recycling fee attached, does not go into your recycling bin, so if someone is going through your bin for recyclables they are actually doing you and the depot a favour.
http://www.regionaldistrict.com/services/regional-waste-reduction-office/recycling/blue-cart.aspx
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

prairieflower wrote:Must be nice to afford to "throw away" bottles and cans that you can get money you have already paid out, back. We do okay financially in our home, but no way in hell are we putting cans and bottles out for some weirdo to get.

We do save some for the couple in Glenrosa who collect and for the sports groups etc who collect, but the rest goes back in our pocket.

Why are people putting these items in their recycling?

Really? I suppose instead of this fellow making an effort to drive around collect theses cans in order to make extra cash, you'd rather he perhaps participated in some illegal activity to mack a few bucks. Why would you call him a weirdo? Seems to me he's got the right idea. Do a bit of work, collect a bit of income and take advantage of the fact that some people are too lazy to make the effort to go to the bottle depot themselves. Its a sad situation that you judge thisperson without knowing him.

Years ago there was a fellow who worked at a certain large employer here in town. He was always checking the garbage bins for those discarded pop cans. Lots of people would whisper behind his back about what a weirdo he was. Being that I took the time to get to know this fellow, I found out that he was a father of two. He had a university degree, but couldn't get a job in Canada with that degree unless he started over at a recognized Canadian university. Since his kids and wife came first, he chose to get whatever work he could. Collecting cans meant that he was able to save up and take his family on a nice vacation every year. Seems intelligent, not weird.
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Was he driving on the wrong side of the road?
ouellette-k

Post by ouellette-k »

wow im very sorry to the people ive upset and i can see why some call me creepy. I hate the daily grind feeling like a scumbag going through filthy trash but what options do i have. Even if i could find a minimum wage job i cant keep them due to being antisocial and waking up everyday feeling worthless.Im taking what you throw away and buying food and paying rent.People shouldnt have to work for a home only to look out there window to see a degenerate rifling through there personal trash.Im collecting cans I wouldnt know what to do with credit info if thats what u think and y would i pick cans if i wanted to do criminal acts.Thank you to all who have givin me bags or even a wave,and to those who storm outta there house simply put a sign sayin no cans.Calling the police will only waste tax dollars to give me a fine that i may pay years down the road if i ever get myself together

Return to “Central Okanagan”