Is this against the law?

OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Is this against the law?

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

prairieflower wrote:
Why are people putting these items in their recycling?

We have an elderly lady who comes around our neighbourhood collecting cans for the SPCA.
She used to donate, now she has no money to donate, so she gets the money from returnable cans that others don't care to have the deposit returned on.

Years ago, when we were fundraising for a school playground, as I walked by the recycle bins on the way to school, I would peel off the labels from any Dairyland milk cartons for our fund raising program at the school. One fellow came out and yelled at me "Get out of there! That is against the law!". I told him I was just peeling the label off his milk carton for the school playground fundraiser, and he told me to leave, or he was phoning the police.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And so the point is, knowing it's wrong doesn't make it right. Contact people ahead of time and ask - I think that's the most considerate route - just ask.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

this is the most insane worry driven thread i have seen on here ... congrats to u all ...
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

theyeti wrote:this is the most insane worry driven thread i have seen on here ... congrats to u all ...

No one is worried theyeti, we are simply pointing out that we do not like this man going through people's garbage in our neighborhood.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And even if they were worried, so what?

Id theft is huge: credit card numbers, phone numbers, pharmacy info, and etc. The garbage isn't what it used to be.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Last time I checked trash was trash.
That's why you get rid of it.
Why are people worried about their trash ?
Don't throw anything important in your trash. Use a shredder. Problem solved.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yup, we have a shredder.

Thing is not everyone is as up on this as us. And throwing away medical blister packs without any thought to removing names, phone numbers, med information is done all the time by seniors. Not all of them, just most of them. Being battling this for years.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Next time you see the guy rummaging through your bins, why not call the police and see what they say (non emergency number)
In fact, anyone can do that right now.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Great, clog up the non-emerg lines for what? Just be careful what you're all putting in there is all.

No addresses.
No med info.
No CC info.
No phone numbers.
No family info, letters etc., (Hello, Mrs. Smith, I'm your granddaughter here in Kel. and I'm in trouble, could you send me $$ right away for an upfront lawyer fee?") Police warn people of that one all the time.

No nothing.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Non emergency lines are just that. They are for non emergencies, that includes general information.
People should not be made to feel guilty if they call the RCMP with a question or concern.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

That's for sure gardengirl!
The suggestion was so that whoever calls can come back here and let us know what they say about 'is this against the law?"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Who said anything about "made to feel guilty" or being guilt ridden?

Okay I used the word, "clog" which is a perjorative on the call. But seriously, call them whenever a guy stops for 4-8 minutes at your garbage can. Go ahead. Awesome use of resources. :skippingsheep:
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Queen K wrote:Who said anything about "made to feel guilty" or being guilt ridden?

Okay I used the word, "clog" which is a perjorative on the call. But seriously, call them whenever a guy stops for 4-8 minutes at your garbage can. Go ahead. Awesome use of resources. :skippingsheep:

Yeah, whatever. I will call the RCMP when I have questions or concerns. As a citizen, and a good citizen, that is my right and obligation.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

And that is what they want us to do.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Why not phone bylaw?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”