Is this against the law?

Dash5
Übergod

Re: Is this against the law?

Post by Dash5 »

peachlandnotary wrote:Chances are, he's just collecting bottles and trying to make a living. It's not against the law if he isn't trespassing on to your property. If your bin is on the curb they he is merely searching through city property (since you likely don't own the bin - they are usually owned by the city).

Then I guess the city will have no problem coming by after he is done to clean up the mess he leaves behind? It's their property afterall.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

He comes to our house every 2nd week. We found it odd at first...But he was going through the recycling only. I've never seen him rifle through the garbage...

When we did realize that he was going through the bin for pop cans, we honked the horn and waved our hand for him to come back to our house....He was VERY greatful for the 2 giant bags we gave him. I wouldn't call him creepy at all...Simply a young man looking for some extra cash...We were glad to help him and save the trip to the ever dreadful bottle depot...
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Must be nice to afford to "throw away" bottles and cans that you can get money you have already paid out, back. We do okay financially in our home, but no way in hell are we putting cans and bottles out for some weirdo to get.

We do save some for the couple in Glenrosa who collect and for the sports groups etc who collect, but the rest goes back in our pocket.

Why are people putting these items in their recycling?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

prairieflower wrote:Why are people putting these items in their recycling?

Laziness (at least in my case).
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

As long as they are not making a mess then it's not a problem. The stuff I put in my bins is stuff I don't want anymore. If someone else find use of my waste then fantastic. I shred anything with personal information so everything is fair game in my bins. It's really not a big deal.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

prairieflower wrote:Must be nice to afford to "throw away" bottles and cans that you can get money you have already paid out, back. We do okay financially in our home, but no way in hell are we putting cans and bottles out for some weirdo to get.

We do save some for the couple in Glenrosa who collect and for the sports groups etc who collect, but the rest goes back in our pocket.

We don't throw them away. We are giving them away to help someone who needs extra cash...Taking them in won't make or break us so if we have extra we help. We help a needy family every Christmas, how is that any different?!

Is he a weirdo cause he doesn't wear a suit or drive a BMW...Or dig for bottles cause he needs money...Get over yourself! Don't judge a book by its cover!!

We don't throw them in the recycling...We hand them to a person.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Is he a weirdo cause he doesn't wear a suit or drive a BMW
No, and no one said that.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

prairieflower wrote:Must be nice to afford to "throw away" bottles and cans that you can get money you have already paid out, back. We do okay financially in our home, but no way in hell are we putting cans and bottles out for some weirdo to get.

Darlin06 wrote:
We don't throw them away. We are giving them away to help someone who needs extra cash...Taking them in won't make or break us so if we have extra we help. We help a needy family every Christmas, how is that any different?!

Is he a weirdo cause he doesn't wear a suit or drive a BMW...Or dig for bottles cause he needs money...Get over yourself! Don't judge a book by its cover!!

We don't throw them in the recycling...We hand them to a person.

I have a problem with a guy who rips down the street on the wrong side of the road.
He leans out the car window and rifles through the bin, then races to the next house.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

We don't put our pop cans in the recycling bin - we give them to that Glenrosa couple - the guy has rummaged through our bin so may times, he should know there are no cans in there. As far as making a mess, one time all kinds of things fell out of the bin, my husband went out & told him to pick it up & the guy got really ticked off. In the end, he did pick it up & put it back in the bin but his attitude was rather snotty - we're not about to set out cans for him to collect. I did get his plate number today...just not sure what to do with it.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

cheeky wrote: I did get his plate number today...just not sure what to do with it.

- flip the paper over
- print in bold ink: Sorry, no cans in here
- have your husband tape it to the recycle bins' lid.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I'll just tell him to go to your house guys and he can leave me alone. :sunshine:
And my kids will be safer, as well...crazy driver and leaves a mess.
kay-c
Board Meister

Post by kay-c »

i put my cans and bottles in a clear bag. i would rather someone collect the reward that needs it . the bag always goes missing ,then I found out its a sweet old lady. i talked to her and she does it to eat and for exercise. odd she has a little blue car aswell.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Put a stink bomb in it that goes off if the lid is opened...he will stop going in that bin! lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

There is sweet old couple that goes collecting, give to them, and they are amazing :sunshine: :hailjo:
This dingbat is not.
Shawner
Fledgling

Post by Shawner »

cheeky wrote:We've had this guy in a small blue vehicle 'ransacking' thru everybody's recycling bins. Today he was back again & when he opened his trunk, he had 2 big plastic bags full of cans. I don't mind people collecting cans but I do mind having them rummage through my bin on recycling days. He drives up & down the street going through every bin. I hope I'm not being petty...My husband went out one time & told him to stay out of our bin & the guy just gave him a dirty look & drove off after he was done. Anyone else have a problem with this?

Where are you located? In Peachland, part of the Solid Waste Bylaw states that you can't scavenge out of the cans, could call the Bylaw Enforcement Officer.

3.1.9 No person shall scavenge Garbage or Recyclable Materials, whether placed out for
collection at Residential Dwelling Premises or deposited at a Recycling Depot, Transfer
Station or the Landfill.

Return to “Central Okanagan”