Tenfolio?

bradparsons-dot-com

Re: Tenfolio?

Post by bradparsons-dot-com »

I should say web resolution, not low resolution. The Summum photos in this thread are only web resolution. They look good on screen, but print quality requires 300dpi or higher. Websites have to use lower quality to keep things loading quickly.

Off topic, but this is why the new tablet devices are complicating things by offering "retina" displays, or displays that feature resolutions higher than 72dpi. It means all the web people will eventually need to switch from saving photos at 72dpi to 100dpi, or whatever the new screens support.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

bradparsons-dot-com wrote:Either way, the objective of Tenfolio isn't to to solve the internet's copyright infringement issues. We just want to help artists generate awareness and income in a way that we haven't seen done before.

I'm still confused as to how you're helping artists and photographers generate income.
Your site states that you share the art with websites, etc.....are the artists being compensated for these other sites using their work ?

The way I see it...I send you ten of my best photographs. You put them on your site...I'm guessing that I am at least credited for the work on your site. Then other sites are free to use my images as they please....so.....are the artists being credited for their work on each site that uses them as well or from your site are they just becoming nameless web images from there ?

I'm not seeing where the income comes into play
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Watermarks do not really help, people know how to edit them out.
bradparsons-dot-com

Yes, Tenfolio and the participating publishers that feature the content will reference the artist name, link to the artist website if there is one, etc. Down the road the artist will be able to select whether they want to sell reprints, or they will be able to sell the original piece.

There are a number of unique content approaches we will be able to take as well. Tenfolio will learn which pieces are most popular, allowing us to do a "who's hot" or "what's hot" type of feature. Once we're in a handful of cities in BC, there's also the "top BC artist" angle, and it expands out from there if all goes well.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

So, we all agree, people will steal online art no matter what, no matter where it is. That being said, this tenfolio project helps to sell works via ads? Is that how I can understand it? And then it links back to tenfolio?
bradparsons-dot-com

Graphite wrote:So, we all agree, people will steal online art no matter what, no matter where it is. That being said, this tenfolio project helps to sell works via ads? Is that how I can understand it? And then it links back to tenfolio?

Yes. Tenfolio gives the artists a place to upload & maintain their 10 piece portfolio. Tenfolio then establishes relationships with digital publishers so that they can display art galleries on their own websites without building the infrastructure to collect the art. We also intend to build self-serve galleries, so a blogger or art gallery can easily populate a gallery with whatever style of art/region they're looking for, and then embed it on their site in the same way they would embed a YouTube video.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Can the artist choose what sites their work in ads are displayed on?
bradparsons-dot-com

Graphite wrote:Can the artist choose what sites their work in ads are displayed on?

That is technically possible, but in the early stages art will be displayed on all partner websites. As a community driven website, we will definitely have an open ear to what the artists want.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Can you give an estimate of how many artists are on board, and website affiliates?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

bradparsons-dot-com wrote:Tenfolio then establishes relationships with digital publishers so that they can display art galleries on their own websites without building the infrastructure to collect the art. We also intend to build self-serve galleries, so a blogger or art gallery can easily populate a gallery with whatever style of art/region they're looking for, and then embed it on their site in the same way they would embed a YouTube video.

What's a "digital publisher" and why would they want to have some artist's gallery on their website?

If I put a price of $500 on one of my works, will I get $500?

What's the incentive?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
bradparsons-dot-com

grammafreddy wrote:
What's a "digital publisher" and why would they want to have some artist's gallery on their website?

If I put a price of $500 on one of my works, will I get $500?

What's the incentive?

The main source of income for digital publishers is ad revenue, so they can sell their typical advertising space just like on any other page of their website. It won't cost the publisher anything to embed the basic art gallery, so ANY ad revenue they generate by posting a Tenfolio art gallery is a positive for them.

For the first phase, if you set a price of $500 on your piece you will receive the full $500 for the sale of that piece - but the sale would result from a Tenfolio viewer clicking on your website link or contacting you and dealing directly with you, the artist. Tenfolio won't have anything to do with the sale of art until we've proven the distribution model. Of course every business needs to generate revenue - one option for us is to act as the gateway between consumer and artist so art can be purchased directly through the Tenfolio interface. In that scenario Tenfolio would likely take a commission for the sales generated.

By handling the transaction we'd be in the unique position to understand best selling artists relative to the Tenfolio community, which can be used as yet another marketing tactic to promote artists. Most often an artist has to hype their own work, equally skilled artists will not have equal income if there is a significant difference between their promotional skills, or if they live in different places. With a strong consumer audience and a large community of artists, we'd be able to level the playing field so the most successful artists aren't necessarily the best promoters.

Return to “Central Okanagan”