Tenfolio?

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Tenfolio?

Post by grammafreddy »

Cash pays the bills better.

Unless you're a hooker then exposure might work.

:sunshine:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
bradparsons-dot-com

Post by bradparsons-dot-com »

Admittedly it is far easier for an artist to launch a website these days, but websites don't magically attract an audience. Facebook reaches your own network, and at the end of the day, not all artists want to spend their time promoting their work. Furthermore, not all artists are great marketers. And if an artist happens to be a good marketer, there are costs involved just like marketing any other business.

There are community sites like deviantart, but those sites tend to by visited by other artists, not consumers.

The concept of bringing local art to the attention of the general public is what we're looking to do. As we work on a project intended to support the arts community, it's amazing how often we hear the term "starving artist". Even in the digital age, the age of social media, artists are not rolling around in cash. We believe we'll be doing the art community a much needed service by giving them one place to post their top work, then we make sure that art is seen by the local population, allowing the artists to focus on what they do best. With the help of Castanet and other digital publishers, that can happen.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Where can I have a look at what you have so far? Where is this art located online for "exposure"?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

grammafreddy wrote:Where can I have a look at what you have so far? Where is this art located online for "exposure"?

Question: If one accesses this on-line art gallery, what is stopping someone from just
downloading and/or printing off said art for themselves?
Will there be "ghost imaging " across the art to deter this?

If not, what's stopping someone in another part of the world printing off
someone elses art and selling it as their own "original" prints.

Just asking, not shooting down the idea.

If I were an artist I'd be very wary of such a site asking for any of my work, let
alone what I considered my best.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL - Dirty biker - I am still thinking about taking legal action against the nearly one dozen companies who have my art up on their websites.

French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

grammafreddy wrote:LOL - Dirty biker - I am still thinking about taking legal action against the nearly one dozen companies who have my art up on their websites.

You mean your sexy pictures featured in the Summum Calendar?
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I don't think so ... what's a Summom Calendar? I'll look there, too.

So far I have been stolen from in English (Canada, US and GB), German, French, Russian and some kind of scandihoovian. Not bad, eh? Does that make me internationally famous???

normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

oh, posts some links so we can have a boo at your work
btw, I think he meant Summer Calendar
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
bradparsons-dot-com

Hmm, I had already posted this response from a mobile device, but it didn't seem to actually post. If for some reason two responses end up being posted...oops.

Regarding theft, most web images are saved at 72dpi, which doesn't provide enough quality to make a decent print. We won't provide access to high resolution images for this reason. Whether art is posted to an artist website, a gallery website or a social network, unfortunately theft is always a concern (as it sounds like grammafreddy has already experienced). A watermark can be added to the photos to deter the lazy thieves...

There are also services artists can use, such as tineye, that use image recognition technology to scour the internet for duplicates of a particular image. This is likely the type of service that most artists are unaware of, but it's the type of thing we could automate through Tenfolio to simplify life for artists.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Or...you can secure your website so that photos can not be copied or downloaded.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

How does a person do that?

MenzieMech

Post by MenzieMech »

grammafreddy wrote:How does a person do that?

Why not just place a translucent "watermark" over them?
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

grammafreddy wrote:I don't think so ... what's a Summom Calendar? I'll look there, too.

Gramma, Summum magazine is a very popular magazine in QC, each year they also create & distribute a super artistic calendar with great assets ;-) It's like a pin up calendar. They call it "dream team" for a reason :-)

Sample of the calendar:

They also have a version of the magazine for the girls if you're interested:

Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
bradparsons-dot-com

You can prevent a person from right clicking and using the web browser to "save photo as", but people can still get the exact same photo by using the 'print screen' function. If you can see it, you can have it. That's why I believe the best security is simply not displaying high resolution images. The watermark option will help prevent the digital thieves.

Either way, the objective of Tenfolio isn't to to solve the internet's copyright infringement issues. We just want to help artists generate awareness and income in a way that we haven't seen done before.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The watermark is the best way by far to prevent thieving. Low resolution picture look cheap tacky.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”