MLA Travel Expenses

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

MLA Travel Expenses

Post by fluffy »

Following the Auditor General's release yesterday of MLA's travel expenses, Bill Berisoff was unavailable for comment. Seeing that he placed highest among Okanagan MLAs, and second highest overall in the province, I'm sure a detailed report will be forthcoming at his earliest convenience.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: MLA Travel Expenses

Post by Thinktank »

Canda's governor general Adrienne Clarkson spent $5 million
on a trip to europe with fifty freeloading friends. that's $100,000 each.

I emailed the governor general's office three times asking for details
on exactly where she spent the money. The third time they emailed back
with a link that went nowhere. Real honest government we have.

I'll pay $5.00 to anyone who can tell me exaclty where all our $5 million went to.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thinktank wrote:
I'll pay $5.00 to anyone who can tell me exaclty where all our $5 million went to.

You can mail $5 to me
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Bsuds wrote:
Thinktank wrote:

You can mail $5 to me

Here you go. This is my paypal account where you can receive your $5.00.

http://www.thispagecannotbedisplayed.com/

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

Thinktank wrote:Canda's governor general Adrienne Clarkson spent $5 million
on a trip to europe with fifty freeloading friends. that's $100,000 each.

I emailed the governor general's office three times asking for details
on exactly where she spent the money. The third time they emailed back
with a link that went nowhere. Real honest government we have.

Shocking that the Governor General of Canada didn't respond to your urgent emails. You..Thinktank. :dyinglaughing:

If you wanted details on expenses, all you have to do is file a FOI and request the documents. It may take a while to get them but they are available. Democracy is a participation sport. So get out there and get your uniform dirty.

As for Bill, I think his expenses were on the high-side considering travel between here and Victoria can't possibly cost that much. The other two MLA's named represented ridings in hard to reach areas, which would account for higher expenses.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

DblDwn11 wrote:... request the documents. It may take a while to get them but they are available.

Thank you for your advice. Click on this link to get your $5.00.

http://www.thispagecannotbedisplayed.com/

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Actually, the truth is, no one in all of Canada will ever know
where adrienne clarkson spent our $5 million. I offered $5.00
here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/canchat
and no one was able to collect the money.

I suspect adreinne Clarkson's friends got free condos somehwere in northern england.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

DblDwn11 wrote:[

As for Bill, I think his expenses were on the high-side considering travel between here and Victoria can't possibly cost that much. The other two MLA's named represented ridings in hard to reach areas, which would account for higher expenses.

But in his defence he is also the Speaker of the House and is probably required to be in Victoria more often and for longer periods.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

Bsuds wrote:But in his defence he is also the Speaker of the House and is probably required to be in Victoria more often and for longer periods.

Good point however the report only covered expenses charged for MLA duties. His Speaker of the House expense were excluded from the total.
Rockitman

Post by Rockitman »

-fluffy- wrote:Following the Auditor General's release yesterday of MLA's travel expenses, Bill Berisoff was unavailable for comment.

In terms of general provincial travel, Bill Berisoff, Speaker of the House, expensed the most ($30,273)
As for speaker approved travel, ironically, Speaker Barisoff topped the list ($5,648)

The total was 1.5 mil and keep in mind folks that this was only for a six month period April to September. Barisoff's total was $46,410 even higher than Dix who came in at $32,997. And the legislature sat for what about 47 days for the WHOLE year. I don't think he drives back and forth every day but at $1000/day, on average he could have.

So, I can't help myself.. Is everyone OK with this. If so then keep voting the way you have been. I truly believe that when the government rakes in Billions in tax revenues they lose perspective and all of a sudden 46 grand for 6 months worth of travel is OK. Its like people getting desensitized to violence when they watch it on television every night on every channel or almost every video game, it just becomes "normal".

But then again "perhaps" knowing your on the way out you become a little more "LIBERAL" with your spending (pun intended). So do your still think voting for a "party" is the way to go..??
Last edited by Rockitman on Nov 1st, 2012, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

trueindependent wrote:But then again "perhaps" knowing your on the way out you become a little more "LIBERAL" with your spending (pun intended). So do your still think voting for a "party" is the way to go..??

So, when somebody independent gets in, all of a sudden they won't be traveling? Or they'll be traveling for cheap? Nice of you to jump on a bandwagon trying to score some cheap brownie points.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There's a considerable spread in the amounts claimed by Okanagan MLAs, from nothing to over $46K for Mr. Berisoff. I'm interested in hearing details of the expenditures, and given Mr. Berisoff's recent statements on accountability and transparency it's not unreasonable to expect him to make those details easily accessible for his constituents.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Rockitman

Post by Rockitman »

Captain Awesome wrote:So, when somebody independent gets in, all of a sudden they won't be traveling? Or they'll be traveling for cheap? Nice of you to jump on a bandwagon trying to score some cheap brownie points.

Lets be clear, I am NOT jumping on the bandwagon, I'm "DRIVING" it. I'm tired of people condoning, even justifying, this kind of spending. Of course you have to travel and YES I would travel cheap, like I would if it was my money instead of yours. It's easy for politicians to spend like "crazy" on elaborate travel when it's coming out of your wallet. When I travel for business I don't eat Lobster and caviar because my company is paying, nor do I eat KD. I eat like I normally would, nor do I stay in the penthouse. Is that a concept so far out there that its incomprehensible? Treat tax-payer money like it's your own.

Interesting how some other Okanagan MLA's spent as little as $4452 on their travel. Oh, but then Barisoff is the speaker, so it's OK. Probably also why he spent the "most" of "any" candidate on his campaign in the last election, to the tune of $72,000.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

trueindependent wrote:Lets be clear, I am NOT jumping on the bandwagon, I'm "DRIVING" it. I'm tired of people condoning, even justifying, this kind of spending. Of course you have to travel and YES I would travel cheap, like I would if it was my money instead of yours. It's easy for politicians to spend like "crazy" on elaborate travel when it's coming out of your wallet. When I travel for business I don't eat Lobster and caviar because my company is paying, nor do I eat KD. I eat like I normally would, nor do I stay in the penthouse. Is that a concept so far out there that its incomprehensible? Treat tax-payer money like it's your own.

You've caught the essence of my concerns there. Among elected officials, gov't employees and contractors dealing with the gov't, there is an air of "deep pockets" when it come to pubic funds. The idea of public responsibility is no longer associated with public funds. I would not expect things like first class travel and five star hotels to appear on gov't expense claims, nor would I expect to see claims for travel to accomplish something that could be easily done at a distance with any of the myriad of electronic media available today. Treat tax-payer money like it belongs to the taxpayer.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

-fluffy- wrote:Following the Auditor General's release yesterday of MLA's travel expenses, Bill Berisoff was unavailable for comment. Seeing that he placed highest among Okanagan MLAs, and second highest overall in the province, I'm sure a detailed report will be forthcoming at his earliest convenience.

I hope you aren't holding your breath waiting for that.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”