Pay for Hiker's Rescue (Castanet Poll)

Static
Guru

Re: Pay for Hiker's Rescue (Castanet Poll)

Post by Static »

Make them pay for it.
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

I'm all for this, provided I get to check off a list of things that I don't want to pay for.

-Lung Cancer
-Medical bills related to somebody else's At-Fault car accidents
-Diabetes
-All expenses related to pregnancy
-Pediatric care. Childless people shouldn't have to pay, right?
-Any injury related to any sport that I don't participate in.
-Any service provided by an OBGYN... I don't have a vagina. Why should I pay for that?
-The Fire department. I've never burned anything down. Why am I paying for that?
-Police. I don't commit crimes. Can I opt out of that?
-Paved roads. I have a 4x4. I'd like to opt out of paying for paved roads. I don't need 'em. Total waste of taxpayer dollars.

Gee this all seems rather silly. Maybe we should just suck it up and realized that while Universal Healthcare, SAR, Fire and Police provided by taxpayer funds is by no means a perfect system, it beats having everybody scream "me, me, me"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think if it happens a second time they should have a card swiping machine, you swipe, or you don't leave..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

Everything we do could be considered a lifestyle choice. People who help other people do so because it's the right thing to do regardless of cost.

Medical and mainstream rescue service personnel (hospital, police and fire) are very well compensated for their service (ambulance personnel not so very well) even though a lot of what they do also benefits insurance companies whose losses are mitigated by the taxpayers paying for these services.

Perhaps these benefiting insurance companies should also be funding Search and Rescue. Which is cheaper? Paying minimal costs for a rescue or paying death benefits to a victim's family?

If, however, doing the right involves a cost than it is also the right thing to do that these costs are covered either by the rescued or the taxpayer and NOT the good samaritans. Search and Rescue personnel are mostly volunteers who perform a specialized service and should be better compensated by we the taxpayer.

It isn't always about money though. There are other ways of showing appreciation for someone sticking their necks out on your behalf. I regularly assist stranded or lost folks up here in the woods and always hear the "Sorry, I don't have any money". Often times fuel is the major cost so a barter system can work as well.

Perhaps community service for those rescued?

Most of the time though people will try to give something in return but I don't think it's too much to ask, in lieu of proper government funding, that some of these costs be better recouped in some fashion.

These days many (most) people just simply do not have the basic proper boy scout knowledge for entering remote areas.

Some sort of payment would cause those who access backcountry areas to be more cognizant of the risks and of their abilities and preparedness...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

AirHoss wrote:I'm all for this, provided I get to check off a list of things that I don't want to pay for.

haha sign me up
Your bias suits you.
ford-freek

Post by ford-freek »

AirHoss wrote:I'm all for this, provided I get to check off a list of things that I don't want to pay for.

-Lung Cancer
-Medical bills related to somebody else's At-Fault car accidents
-Diabetes
-All expenses related to pregnancy
-Pediatric care. Childless people shouldn't have to pay, right?
-Any injury related to any sport that I don't participate in.
-Any service provided by an OBGYN... I don't have a vagina. Why should I pay for that?
-The Fire department. I've never burned anything down. Why am I paying for that?
-Police. I don't commit crimes. Can I opt out of that?
-Paved roads. I have a 4x4. I'd like to opt out of paying for paved roads. I don't need 'em. Total waste of taxpayer dollars.

Gee this all seems rather silly. Maybe we should just suck it up and realized that while Universal Healthcare, SAR, Fire and Police provided by taxpayer funds is by no means a perfect system, it beats having everybody scream "me, me, me"

i like you. youve got a good idea goin here.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Ok. Fining people for needing rescue in an emergency is like fining people for using an ambulance.

Lets all agree to stop with this dumb idea.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Graphite wrote:Ok. Fining people for needing rescue in an emergency is like fining people for using an ambulance.

Except, don't you have to pay for using an ambulance ?
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:
Graphite wrote:Ok. Fining people for needing rescue in an emergency is like fining people for using an ambulance.

Nope, at least not when I used one. (wasn't in BC tho, but in Ontario)
Your bias suits you.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I think an ambulance ride is 80 bucks.
If you hafta go from winfield to downtown kelowna, call an ambulance, its cheaper than a cab.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Babbitman wrote:I think an ambulance ride is 80 bucks.
If you hafta go from winfield to downtown kelowna, call an ambulance, its cheaper than a cab.

I think its about 80 too, 50 if you called em but didnt use the services for a trip to hospital. Its billed to you in the mail.
I think charging a hiker should depend on the circumstances,,, total carelessness should cost the person rescued. Some people just wander out and dont tell anyone where they plan to go and there is no survival gear on hand,,, stupidity should pay.
I never hiked without a back pack full of gear, even for a day trip and I only went because There was a group to go with.
One time we nearly fell victim in Ontario, one of our guys stood on an edge of ice near the water not knowing it was a ledge of ice and it broke and he fell in. We were able to pull him out and get him to safety soaking wet and frozen. Yup, he was stupid but Lucky for him it wasnt where the water was rushing like it was higher up. He had a back pack with ropes and first aid gear but we did have a second one as well.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Babbitman wrote:I glance at this thread title, and it looks like "Pay for Hitler's Rescue".

aw man thanks alot, that's what i see everytime now.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:

I did not realize that you did. That sucks.
---------------------------

Perhaps it would have been better if I stated sure lets charge for rescues. But I assure you, it won't stop there. More bills for every service. If you can't pay then too bad, no services for you. Your taxes are paying for other stuff, like pensions for the government employees that do not provide you services because you can't pay per use. Its a terrible idea in general. If you want a system where the rich really do get service and the poorer suffer because they can't pay for services, then sure, lets start charging.

Return to “Central Okanagan”