Planning on skiing Big White this season?

theyeti
Übergod

Re: Planning on skiing Big White this season?

Post by theyeti »

i bet if big white ponied up with a condo or some other attractive offer there would be alot of doctors willing to spend a cpl nights a week on the mountain
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

its not a dr issue... its the tools... patients needing ambulance transport, usually require treatment in a hospital setting,with the correct equipment, and support teams. if it was just a matter of accommodations, thats an easy fix.it would be nice to see the actual cost of the ehs service at the hill.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

mullyman wrote:its not a dr issue... its the tools... patients needing ambulance transport, usually require treatment in a hospital setting,with the correct equipment, and support teams. if it was just a matter of accommodations, thats an easy fix.it would be nice to see the actual cost of the ehs service at the hill.

Although the cost is an issue and I am no expert but I think its more about using the resourses (EHS staff) more affectively. I thhink that is the real issue. Based on what I have been told...
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

if big white users are concerned about the time it takes to have a amulance sent i suppose the same would work the other way.
having a ambulance sit in a resort atmosphere all day too far to respond to rutland or lake country should also be a concern.
as its not a city its a group of taxpayers that chose to go out of the boundry and build and play then only common sense would say to expect extra costs.
you move out of the fire zone you have to build your own or go without.
they need a good first aid station with trained personal and then you can wait for a ambulance like anyone.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If the owner/management of Big White Ski Resort believes this is an issue then they should build an Ambulance Hall purchase an Ambulance and hire fully trained staff.

Problem solved........... Oops what was I thinking they want someone else to pay for it, never-mind then.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

maybe they should take the ambulance out of YOUR neighbourhood, and tell you to buy your own as well...
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

No, I won't be skiing at Big White this year. Thanks for asking. Great place and I've had tons of fun there, but sadly, I've moved away.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

mullyman wrote:maybe they should take the ambulance out of YOUR neighbourhood, and tell you to buy your own as well...

It's not a neighborhood ...it's a ski resort, a recreation facility, a seasonal rural destination.
Everyone who is there, is there by choice. They are well aware that they are 56 km away from the nearest hospital. They are well aware that they have to travel a mountain road in winter conditions to get to town.
An extended wait for ambulance, fire and police is a risk one voluntarily takes when they make the choice to spend time there.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

janalta wrote:
mullyman wrote:maybe they should take the ambulance out of YOUR neighbourhood, and tell you to buy your own as well...

It's not a neighborhood ...it's a ski resort, a recreation facility, a seasonal rural destination.
Everyone who is there, is there by choice. They are well aware that they are 56 km away from the nearest hospital. They are well aware that they have to travel a mountain road in winter conditions to get to town.
An extended wait for ambulance, fire and police is a risk one voluntarily takes when they make the choice to spend time there.

That's all well and good, but perhaps the property owners up there should make a choice to not pay taxes.

After all why should tax payers in one area be treated any different than those in another?

To my thinking they are entitled to the same services and considerations, and whether they are in a recreational area or not is beside the point.

There's a school up there, and there are also people who reside there year round, as well as loggers eeking out a living in the woods. I don't view their welfare any less precious than that of townspeople. I also don't think it right that they should be subsidizing city services with their taxes, simply because they are viewed as recreational users up there by choice.

We tend to do many things by choice, among them going to work each day.

This comes off as not much more than exploiting a situation, simply because they can.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

LoneWolf_53 wrote: I also don't think it right that they should be subsidizing city services with their taxes

Did you know their taxes don't get paid to the city? They are in the Kootenay Boundary Regional District.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

yes, it is a point of concern , that taxes are paid to kooteney boundary. there is discussion frequently, regarding this. but it has no impact on the provincially run ehs service. and as far as "choosing" to be there, many chose with the understanding that there was ambulance service... kinda like buying a home by the school so your kids can walk, then they close it , so they gotta take the bus. or retiring to a small, quiet town, only to learn that the hospital is closing. pay more , get less...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

grammafreddy wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote: I also don't think it right that they should be subsidizing city services with their taxes

Did you know their taxes don't get paid to the city? They are in the Kootenay Boundary Regional District.

Might be an argument in some cases, but not where a provincial service is involved.

They pay taxes in BC and their ambulance has been moved to town.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Seriously?
This is really about the loggers, permanent residents and a small K-9 school with two teachers, that shortens it's days during ski season so the kids can take advantage of living at a resort ?
Sorry...don't buy the argument that the ambulance service was for any of them in the first place....if it was, it would have been stationed up there year round....not just for 4 months a year, during ski season.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Everyone's health care services are being reduced due to the massive increase in provincial debt, doubled in the past decade from $33b to $66b. Big White is not being treated any different than the rest of the province.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I could care less if they are there or not. I don't snowboard anymore. I work in the woods and as the safety guy i just want to know where to get help. ASAP That is it! I don't care if they are there or not.I just need to know if they are i can pass the lousey situation to them.

Return to “Central Okanagan”