Planning on skiing Big White this season?

Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Planning on skiing Big White this season?

Post by Amarow121 »

Chmmr wrote:
theyeti wrote:
if u r on call to the ambulance at big white where do u suppose that person hang out while on call . obviously they r gonna have to be there waiting for a seconds notice to go do what needs to be done . surely a farmer and animal rescue woman such as yourself can appreciate that

Ambulance attendants on duty at Big White stayed in the patrol hut where their Ambulance is parked. They have full use of the upstairs facilities (showers, kitchen, living room etc) plus they have their own fridge, as well as their own private room for watching tv, reading or whatever they want. Oh and internet access.

Yes all ambulance stations are equipped with bedrooms, bathrooms and a computer that can access internet. I believe Big White did have a kitchen and fridge, which is nice, not all ambulance stations have that. At the stations I've worked at TV is something that is paid for by the paramedics (if they want it!), Big White is probably the same.
MrRusty
Fledgling

Post by MrRusty »

And some stations don't even have showers or change rooms for when you get contaminated or exposed to hazardous material or bacteria, and need to shower and change into a clean uniform. They think you could just stop by a Wendy's or McDonald's or Tim's and use there bathroom.
And the only reason there is a internet connection is to receive work email's, medical updates, mandatory online yearly medical courses and to scan patient care forms. But then again your never there so really you just need a mail slot to pick up letters of discipline and 1104's :dyinglaughing:
My friend, remember that without stupidity there wouldn't be intelligence, and without ugliness there wouldn't be beauty, so the world needs you after all.
GreyGoose
Fledgling

Post by GreyGoose »

NO, I dont like freezing up in the mountains. Now if it was say plus four or five degrees I would be game. :sunshine:
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Re: Planning on Skiing Big White this Season?

Post by Homeownertoo »

Pacific wrote:Jeez, glad to hear your friend was OK, that's scary.

Ya that's a terrible corner to cut, there have got to be a few thousand people out there at any given time in the winter... having an ambulance service for that many people is a no brainer.

No matter who should be funding it that's totally inappropriate. Can't imagine any other town in BC with thousands of people doesn't have a hospital or ambulance...

Castlegar has no hospital after it gets dark. You have anemergency at night, prepare to be shipped to Trail. Its hardly the only town so equipped.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
bigtdawg
Fledgling

Post by bigtdawg »

GreyGoose wrote:NO, I dont like freezing up in the mountains. Now if it was say plus four or five degrees I would be game. :sunshine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNMyj-RUBxE

I wish I had one of these!
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

The worst part of this story is listening to "Micheal J" on the radio absolutely going off how atrocious it is that Big White doesn't get special privileges anymore.

As already stated, wish his used his voice when Castlegar shut down their hospital.

He sure can huff and puff instead of employing a private medic.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

janalta wrote:So, according to the posters here, the BCAS is actually lying to perspective EMRs?

Directly from their web site:

Working as an EMR is an entry-level, community focused position that is ideal for people who live and work in a rural or remote area and have a desire to make a difference. BCAS employs EMRs on an on-call, part-time basis. During their shift, EMRs carry a pager at an hourly rate of $2.00, at which time they have the freedom to pursue other work and activities. When called out, pay increases to the full paramedic hourly rate.

Also, Yeti....you stated your friend was an EMT...which is now EMR...which is approx 40 hours of training.
It is the first step, entry level of the paramedic field...and it is made perfectly clear what hours and pay are to be expected before you enter into it.
I have the upmost respect for all Emergency responders and the job they do and haven't once said anything to the contrary....but the expected wages are laid out before you enter into the occupation. Anyone who is considering it as a career is obligated to know all of this ahead of time.

...Okay... at some point you just need to stop.

If you think PCP/ACP that is 40 hours of training, and you're going to try and tell others that, you need to stop, because now it's just getting ridiculous.

Paramedics are some the most highly trained individuals in the country when it comes to saving lives. They are even trained to do things that many emerge nurses are not.

They go to school to get to this point, and having worked closely with these people and knowing several current Paramedics closely I can assure you it is no walk in the park, especially the process of getting certified job-experience before they can work.

Go ahead and look up PCP (Primary Care Paramedic) and ACP (Advanced Care Paramedic).

He sure can huff and puff instead of employing a private medic.

Big White employs Doctors and Nurses on most weekends. (According to demand)

Yes all ambulance stations are equipped with bedrooms, bathrooms and a computer that can access internet. I believe Big White did have a kitchen and fridge, which is nice, not all ambulance stations have that. At the stations I've worked at TV is something that is paid for by the paramedics (if they want it!), Big White is probably the same.

Big White's BCAS Station was situated inside a multi-use building for both the CSPS and Big White Ski Patrol. The building is managed by an organization (I'm sorry I can't recall the name) where patrollers can for a small fee stay the night, or others can for a slightly higher fee stay, kind of like a Hostel. Two rooms were set aside for the Paramedics. The building is large, features a full Living Area and Kitchen. I highly doubt it cost the BCAS very much though, considering members of said organization can stay there for around $5 per night.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Straightalk....perhaps dig a little deeper....I was never, at any point, referring to fully trained paramedics.
The conversation was about someone with their basic EMR entry level training.
So, your rant was rather pointless.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

janalta wrote:Straightalk....perhaps dig a little deeper....I was never, at any point, referring to fully trained paramedics.
The conversation was about someone with their basic EMR entry level training.
So, your rant was rather pointless.

Individuals trained in EMR are not Paramedics per se. EMT = PCP/ACP but I see what you're saying. Simple mistake.

I also agree with you by the way, and Paramedics do/should know what they're getting into. I really doubt the issue here was caused by a lack of Paramedics wanting to work out of that station, as I know at least one who works at that resort as both a patroller and a paramedic, or did.

Also, recreational or not, I feel that when there is a reasonable need for immediate emergency care in an area, it should be provided. The lack of said services in comparable areas or even more populated areas does not justify this act, but in fact is just an indication of a very serious emergency care problem in this province. I know a lot of people find it difficult to grasp that thrill seekers should be provided with rescue/medical care options, but this is life, and being outside and being active and adventurous is what people love to do, and it is one of the things that makes this province great. Nobody should have to feel afraid to do these things, within reason, due to a lack of public services.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Any patrollers out there who have seen what its like up at Big White now with out the ambulance? Long wait times or are they sending people off to the doctor on their own?
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

It would be nice to see the clinic open on the weekends and maybe after hours rather than Monday to Friday. 9-4.. Considering the amount of traffic on the weekends compared to the weekends they are quite useless
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

The Ski Patrol cant handle any major problem. We need a better service?
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

mikett744 wrote:The Ski Patrol cant handle any major problem. We need a better service?

Just like any other ski resort out there.....an ambulance is called if there is a life threatening emergency.
It's not as if BC Ambulance Services is no longer going to be responding to calls from the area.....they just won't be stationed there in the winter any more. So, the hill will have the same service they have always had when it's not peak ski season.....the same service anyone living in the area has always had.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
ride365

Post by ride365 »

mikett744 wrote:The Ski Patrol cant handle any major problem. We need a better service?

Seems to be a statement without any facts or basis.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Hey I just had to poke the Bear. Actually I think the CSP do a great job.
It was nice having the Ambulance there though and the clinic hours need to be revamped.

Return to “Central Okanagan”