Mayor gives City Council "A-Plus" rating

Assumed

Re: Mayor gives City Council "A-Plus" rating

Post by Assumed »

Unfortunely, Ashton is running this city like his previous business. It is going to crash. I would not be withdrawing from my savings to do pay for things that I can not afford with my pay cheque. A quick way to go broke. The next mayor is going to be in a heap of trouble.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Assumed wrote:The next mayor is going to be in a heap of trouble.

The last mayor left a heap of trouble for Ashton. Taking a step back and seeing that the current economic difficulties are not unique to Penticton I'm hesitant to dump on council because of problems that are not the result of their decisions. In fact there's something to be said for their willingness to face the ire of many for the cost-cutting measures they have imposed to date.

Taking pot shots at our elected officials is a Canadian right, but frankly when I hear people condemn and complain without offering any viable alternatives it all comes off as so much blah-blah-blah.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:Taking pot shots at our elected officials is a Canadian right, but frankly when I hear people condemn and complain without offering any viable alternatives it all comes off as so much blah-blah-blah.

Want to make a wager that the most prolific critics of this council are either cupe employee's or the spouse of one? One in particular has freudian slipped so many times, I know what department he works in.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Assumed

Post by Assumed »

Fluffy, I'm sure that you don't run your household in a deficit. Why is the city? You have said that we should be taxed a little each year rather than a huge increase later. I agree! This council is not replacing what the city spends per year. That will cost me dearly down the road. I save a little each year for my family. The city should be taxing to balance budget and save reserves for mega projects. I can afford to pay a little at a time but not a large amount down the road. That would cut into my reserves for my kids education.
As for dumping on council, this one has earned it. Giving yourself an A-Plus rating, come on! I don't tell people I'm the best at my job, my boss scores that. We are this councils boss and they certainly did not get an A-Plus rating last election.
All I'm saying is live within your means, period.

As for Twobits, I was in agreement with most of what he/she says. Not anymore. I'm convinced that he/she is connected to this council in some way. Credibilty shot.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Assumed wrote:Fluffy, I'm sure that you don't run your household in a deficit. Why is the city? You have said that we should be taxed a little each year rather than a huge increase later. I agree! This council is not replacing what the city spends per year. That will cost me dearly down the road. I save a little each year for my family. The city should be taxing to balance budget and save reserves for mega projects. I can afford to pay a little at a time but not a large amount down the road. That would cut into my reserves for my kids education.
As for dumping on council, this one has earned it. Giving yourself an A-Plus rating, come on! I don't tell people I'm the best at my job, my boss scores that. We are this councils boss and they certainly did not get an A-Plus rating last election.
All I'm saying is live within your means, period.

As for Twobits, I was in agreement with most of what he/she says. Not anymore. I'm convinced that he/she is connected to this council in some way. Credibilty shot.

I don't believe we ARE running a deficit; dont think its allowed by law. Funny how the Province and Feds can though, huh? What is concerning is the continuation of dipping into the reserves just to show a Zero percent increase in Taxation yet on the other hand the city is nailing us big time with Electrical and Water rate increases. I watched the council debate the budget and see them as basically Dysfunctional. They rammed this through for whatever reason before the new year when there shouldve been much more debate on many issues. Makes one wonder if "someone" (no names mentioned..lol) wants to obtain more time to campaign starting fresh in the new year. It wouldnt be a surprise. ps: seeing as its so close to Christmas, maybe its time to stop picking on these folks....at least until Next Year...lol.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Assumed wrote:

Sorry but not connected in any way. No famial ties, not even remote. Never even campaigned or donated to any of them. I am just a fiscal conservative. As to using surpluses......there is another way to look at them.....what was forgone in the past to provide that surplus? If the funds were not put into a dedicated capital account then we call them "rainy day" accounts. The way Penticton taxpayers where chit on with tax increases in the past I'd argue that it's raining pretty hard right now in this economy and it is no time for a tax increase.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

twobits wrote:
Sorry but not connected in any way. No famial ties, not even remote. Never even campaigned or donated to any of them. I am just a fiscal conservative. As to using surpluses......there is another way to look at them.....what was forgone in the past to provide that surplus? If the funds were not put into a dedicated capital account then we call them "rainy day" accounts. The way Penticton taxpayers where chit on with tax increases in the past I'd argue that it's raining pretty hard right now in this economy and it is no time for a tax increase.

Just an observation on "reserves"….in spite of always having had reserves, Penticton still borrows money and even at the favourable MFA rates still pays more in interest on the money we borrow then we earn in interest on the reserves. That always came across as an odd thing to do......
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

CTF wrote: Just an observation on "reserves"….in spite of always having had reserves, Penticton still borrows money and even at the favourable MFA rates still pays more in interest on the money we borrow then we earn in interest on the reserves. That always came across as an odd thing to do......

Yup, kinda like borrowing money to buy a car when you have the cash in a "reserve" to buy it outright. But let's keep all those reserves earning 1% return and raise everyones taxes. All is good.
There is nothing wrong with a modest contingency reserve but holding several million dollars earning squat while you raise peoples taxes makes little financial sense. Then again, just reading many of the posts here reaffirms how little financial sense there is out there.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

[quote="XT225"] on the other hand the city is nailing us big time with Electrical and Water rate increases.[quote]

We have been warned for over a decade now that water rates would be increasing dramatically and hence the big push on conservation. Just how did this increase catch you by surprise? As to electrical rates, I await your explanation of how the city avoids the wholesale price increase foisted upon them by Fortis......the suppliers of our electricity? I suppose you would like them to just eat it and then come back on here and rake the council over the coals for not rebuilding the electrical reserves.
XT, I truly believe you have allowed yourself to become so blinded by your hatred of Dan Ashton that you can no longer think things thru rationally. Time to step backand chill a bit.

ETA- And at least electrical and waters rates are user pay where we can do something to mitigate our personal situations by conserving how much we use. Can't do that with property taxes short of downsizing.

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Twobits, we have also been warned by the CFO two years in a row now that NOT raising taxes will depleat the reserves very soon; possibly as early as 2014 and that things have to change. Who do we trust more? A professional accountant or a politician? Easy answer. I wouldve liked to have seen a small increase; anything to keep the funds from dwindling. What if Slumpy is right and the sewers need replacing soon. Then we will have to borrow the money again, just like the SOEC. That won't be very popular. I would never use the word hatred, as you just did. Thats uncalled for an not how I feel at all. Attack the record, not the person; get it right, wil you please. ps: I noted that during the budget process, the CFO had to explain several times just HOW things work with regards to utilizing reserves; some members of council had no clue. Oh and I wasn't against the rising rates in Electrical and water; not at all. The citys costs went up and they had to pass it along; just like ALL costs in the city did; so taxes should rise slightly to cover this. 2014 is gonna hit us all very hard; don't know who will want to run for council that year. :hailjo:
ps: twobits, you will have to find someone else to argue with for a while. Going on a trip (via YYF, too).
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

twobits wrote:ETA- And at least electrical and waters rates are user pay where we can do something to mitigate our personal situations by conserving how much we use. Can't do that with property taxes short of downsizing.

Plus +10 !!!!! An excellent point far too many overlook.

Return to “Central Okanagan”