Pelmewash Parkway

joe smo
Fledgling

Pelmewash Parkway

Post by joe smo »

The new name has been announced for the renaming of the Old Nwy 97 between Winfield and Oyama.

"Pelmewash was the Anglicised version of the Aboriginal name for Wood Lake prior to the arrival of Thomas Wood to the community," says Mayor James Baker.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#83552

What is your opinion?
as each day passes, the things I don't know increases exponentially
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pelmewash Parkway

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I would have preferred Wood Lake Parkway, Pelmewash sounds like some sort of skin cleansing product. :200:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Somehow I knew the worst of the 3 choices would be the one. Any aborginal professors on DLC council? :127:

I agree with LW. "Pelmewash, great for keeping hair from growing on your pelmes" :dyinglaughing:
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

I think the new name is great because it is unique and it honours our native history.
Last edited by danmartin on Nov 21st, 2012, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

[quote="Rwede"]Somehow I knew the worst of the 3 choices would be the one. Any aborginal professors on DLC council? :127:

I agree with LW. "Pelmewash, great for keeping hair from growing on your pelmes" :dyinglaughing:[/quote
Mr Rwede, just what is a pelmes? In your opinion? Small as it may be :127: :127:
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

I have tried to like it ,I have said it many times and used it in several sentences.Someone may ask you "so where is a good place to go for a walk?" Well you might like to try Pelmewash Parkway-it sounds like a toilet bowl cleaner.I like the idea of using a native name especialy after the artifacts recently found almost on the same ground and I would bet the natives have some old names for local places or animals that wouldn't be embarrassing to say.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Deeoars wrote:I have tried to like it ,I have said it many times and used it in several sentences.Someone may ask you "so where is a good place to go for a walk?" Well you might like to try Pelmewash Parkway-it sounds like a toilet bowl cleaner.I like the idea of using a native name especialy after the artifacts recently found almost on the same ground and I would bet the natives have some old names for local places or animals that wouldn't be embarrassing to say.

:rate10:
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I think I'll just call it "The Old Highway". It makes more sense and rolls off the tongue easier...
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

I agree with KL-3. When it comes to names it's tough to please everyone.
solrac

Post by solrac »

danmartin wrote:I think the new name is great because it is unique and it honours our native history.

From what i understand, the fact that it is the original aboriginal name of Wood Lake was news to the local first nations.

Does anybody know what "Pelmewash" even means?
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

I just checked my Okanagan Salish/English dictionary and Pelme means mouth.Just kidding.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Deeoars wrote:I just checked my Okanagan Salish/English dictionary and Pelme means mouth.

:coffeecanuck: :coffeecanuck: :coffeecanuck: :coffeecanuck: :coffeecanuck:
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Deeoars wrote:I just checked my Okanagan Salish/English dictionary and Pelme means mouth.Just kidding.

Will you cut that out!! Gotta agree Old 97 North is the best. Deeoars, spit that out you don't know where it's been. :127:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

My guess is most locals will call it "The Old Highway" anyway, regardless of what DLC names it.
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

I agree 100% easy to say,easy to remember, discriptive,acurate,to the point and you will only have to say it once without a long explanation about where they came up with the other name,

Return to “Central Okanagan”