Mantler trial

Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Post by Roadster »

MAPearce wrote:I read in the local rag today that the defence had 17 Mounties as witnesses ...

Here's the "cut and paste " from the Courier....

The witnesses they've called, I find it a little odd that people weren't even there. Seventeen police officers; there were three (there). They might as well call my neighbour up; he wasn't there either," he said.

I hate to say it (could be wrong) but if possibly there werent 17 officers there when all of this happened then could this be charactor witnessing by his co workers?

He's a good cop, wouldnt do such a thing,,, he's a stressed kinda guy, he could kick someone like that,,,

Just a thought.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Roadster wrote:
I hate to say it (could be wrong) but if possibly there werent 17 officers there when all of this happened then could this be charactor witnessing by his co workers?

He's a good cop, wouldnt do such a thing,,, he's a stressed kinda guy, he could kick someone like that,,,

Just a thought.

Probably expert witnesses on use of force, members that went to the golf club, members that interviewed other witnesses, members at the scene, dispatchers, that sort of thing.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I really doubt a bunch of people would perjure themselves and risk their jobs to save Mantler.
I'm happy enough to await the Court decision
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#83813

The testimony of Taveres as reported by Castanet.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
ZaftigBoy

Post by ZaftigBoy »

i think rcmp Mantler was overtired and stressed and this manifested when he was dealing with Buddy Seeing a gun is a frightening thing and it is easy to lose control over it

you mind would be saying fight or flight and the rcmp officer Mantler decided to fight

Buddy should have listened and not appeared to be a threat

there would be no trial then

all the city is worked up over this and we should remember the police do the best they can they have many responsibilities
Live Balanced - Live Free - Live Kind - If you think thats hard try to sit on an egg
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#83819

The testimony of the 2nd officer on the scene as reported by Castanet.

If the story is accurate, it seems to me that her testimony is credible and not particularly damaging to Mantler.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

She also acknowledged that while in training, she learned the first car on the scene should always wait for backup

Boffy also testified that depending on the situation, when a call comes in that a suspect has a brain injury,

So Mantler knew the suspect had a "brain injury"
ZaftigBoy

Post by ZaftigBoy »

Buddy was killing the geese and the report of the gun would be frightening i would think when the old guy used to come by the house and shoot to scare the geese at the park it was startling

rcmp Mantler maybe didnt know Buddy was a goose killer and so was protecting the public
Live Balanced - Live Free - Live Kind - If you think thats hard try to sit on an egg
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Raven1 wrote:She also acknowledged that while in training, she learned the first car on the scene should always wait for backup

Boffy also testified that depending on the situation, when a call comes in that a suspect has a brain injury,

Thats been my question, if he was informed of certain things that give a red flag (which some think warrented the kick) then why didnt he stand back and wait for back up? He mighta left himself with only a kick as defence and again I still cant see where defence was needed before, or after the kick. I remain confused on that one.

ZaftigBoy wrote:Buddy was killing the geese and the report of the gun would be frightening i would think when the old guy used to come by the house and shoot to scare the geese at the park it was startling

rcmp Mantler maybe didnt know Buddy was a goose killer and so was protecting the public

All the more reason to wait for back up so he dont get killed maybe?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Soo..
Tavares also testified that he had seen the Castanet.net video of the assault prior to giving one of his statements and he was having difficulty distinguishing between what he saw at the time of the arrest and what he saw on tape.

Hmmm...

Also according to a statement by Tavares to police on Jan. 7, he said he was “angry as hell” about the papers he received in the mail and that he would “go kill a couple geese and feel better about it.”

Ooohhh!

Defence also suggested that when Tavares was exiting his vehicle during the traffic stop, he had said, “B*tch should have killed me,” to which Tavares quickly denied.

Makes me wonder what else he said to Mantler while exiting his vehicle or 'getting down'....

Defence then brought up the fact that since the motorcycle accident, Tavares had received paycheques until Dec. 6 when his disability benefits kicked in and after that he was no longer employed by the golf course to shoot geese and had no business there on the day in question and no reason to have his shotgun.

So in effect, he was not supposed to be where he was when he would “go kill a couple geese and feel better about it.” So much for him being 'employed to do this'. Buddy was quite defensive and aggressive in court from what I gathered from the report of his court appearance.

Again it makes me wonder about his interaction with Mantler at the time of his being ordered out of his truck.
Chill
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

Oh, and you've never cussed under your breath during a traffic stop?

I imagine it's a little more difficult to be "witty" when there's a gun pointed at you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

flamingfingers wrote:Also according to a statement by Tavares to police on Jan. 7, he said he was “angry as hell” about the papers he received in the mail and that he would “go kill a couple geese and feel better about it.”

Great fella.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Should mention that I am pretty sure, one of the golf course owners Had stated on here that Buddy was welcome to work on the goose removal even if. He was not called information regular workhorse. This was posted on an older thread on here a while back....

So you could say he was a GOOSEstopo agent.. :dyinglaughing:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

So far, even if he said the word *bleep*, he hasnt said anything that warrents a kick yet, maybe more tomorrow and something really juicy and damning on Buddy will come up. Meanhile I cant figure out why all of this matters and why the trial will take two weeks.
I say we throw a couple cop experts in there, the boss man, a couple ninja fighting experts and let them figure out what happened and what shoulda/shouldnta happened. All this memory stuff is a waste of our tax dollars I think. What will it prove? I mean really, coulda been someone totally mentally disabled who escaped the ward who would be unable to speak and so then would a kick be needed? Yes, if the person attempted to lunge forward. So beit this guy or another I doubt words matter all that much. It happened, I really thought they were gonna assess the kick and its need or non need during the actual arrest.
When you think about it, if you were being arrested and you had been mad earlier does that judge how the arrest should go? I dont think so, It might judge how they set up the arrest tho, like maybe preparing for precautions,,, like using back up, just in case. But, again I am not a cop so what do I know,,, I do think this court thing should be about what was said from the call taker to those going in on the chase.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Raven1 wrote:She also acknowledged that while in training, she learned the first car on the scene should always wait for backup

This is what Boffy is reported to have said about a suspect with a brain injury: "Boffy also testified that depending on the situation, when a call comes in that a suspect has a brain injury, it’s fair to say there is a heightened risk, especially when a weapon is said to be involved."

Perhaps the reason Mantler did not wait for back-up was for the reason underlined in the quote above. Back-up was also seconds away so he wasn't really alone in dealing with the suspect.

It also isn't stated in the news report that I recall, but I believe it is common knowledge that the most dangerous 9-11 calls are those involving domestic disputes. One never knows what to expect and one is almost always dealing with at least one individual in an emotionally volitile and reason-impaired state. I would expect that type of a call and also knowing there is at least one firearm AND someone with a brain injury involved, would be responded to with more speed and more force than say, a 9-11 call about an intoxicated person who shoplifted a steak off the barbeque and is feasting upon it on the neighbour's lawn.
So far what I've gotten out of the new reports is that Tavares didn't know why he was being pulled over and he froze and the 2nd officer thought Tavares wasn't moving very fast to comply with Mantler's request, so stands to reason that Mantler thought the same thing.
I have to say I'd probably move like Tavares...so I guess I'd be getting kicked. :200:

Return to “Central Okanagan”