Mantler trial

crookedmember
Banned

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Post by crookedmember »

KL3-Something wrote:
But within minutes there were cops walking around with some that they found somewhere...Just goes to show that each person involved will have a different perception of what was going on.

The truck had a canopy. He had them stored back there. Not exactly within easy reach. Or wrong. Or illegal.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

KL3-Something wrote:
But within minutes there were cops walking around with some that they found somewhere...Just goes to show that each person involved will have a different perception of what was going on.

crookedmember wrote:The truck had a canopy. He had them stored back there. Not exactly within easy reach. Or wrong. Or illegal.

...Or known for certain to anyone at the time.

Once again, hindsight doesn't count.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

KL3-Something wrote:Once again, hindsight doesn't count.

Hindsight is when you say, "dang, I shouldn't have bought Apple at $700."

It's not hindsight when you regret kicking someone in the face because it was caught on silicon.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

KL3-Something wrote:Once again, hindsight doesn't count.

crookedmember wrote:Hindsight is when you say, "dang, I shouldn't have bought Apple at $700."

It's not hindsight when you regret kicking someone in the face because it was caught on silicon.

noooo....that is not what I mean.

Hindsight is when someone says "there was no risk of that gun Buddy had with him being used on the cops because, when they found it, it was nicely tucked away in the canopy out of reach.". The cops on scene didn't know that, couldn't have known that and couldn't approach Tavares with that in their minds.

That is hindsight. Your Apple story is buyers regret.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

KL3-Something wrote:

crookedmember wrote:The truck had a canopy. He had them stored back there. Not exactly within easy reach. Or wrong. Or illegal.

How do you know they were there?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

KL3-Something wrote:noooo....that is not what I mean.

Hindsight is when someone says "there was no risk of that gun Buddy had with him being used on the cops because, when they found it, it was nicely tucked away in the canopy out of reach.". The cops on scene didn't know that, couldn't have known that and couldn't approach Tavares with that in their minds.

Now I agree with this, so if they knew there was a gun then why would he go it alone before someone else came along? Why was he close enough to even make a kick let alone have Buddy yank his leg out from under him if that could happen? Shouldnt he have been back behind the vehicle or behind his car maybe yelling for Buddy to get down and waiting for others?
In my mind he wasnt as worried as you yourself would think he shoulda been over some info given ahead but instead at times he was very close to Buddy, face to face almost when he was standing in front of the truck. So he too might not have had worries as the lady cop did not. This is what confuses me still.
And could you tell us, do plain clothed cops wear steal toed boots, is that a safty standard like in certain work places? Just curious, I have asked many times but never got an answer.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

If Mantler thought Buddy was so dangerous, why is he standing at the truck door talking to him through the open window with his gun held loosely down at his side?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

KL3-Something wrote:

Wait! Some guns? I saw one come out of the back of the cab with a gun lock on it, didnt see others, could we clear this up? Did anyone see a second gun? I would have missed it then if there was.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

grammafreddy wrote:

I believe that's what I remember reading . . .
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Hassel99 wrote:Mentally ill person involved in a domestic depute, returns to his former place of employment, angry, with a gun, fires multiple rounds. When pulled over by police, still angry, gun is visible.

Buddy is lucky to be alive.

I sense an acquittal.

I agree. Where is the ex and her co-workers in all this.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:I seemed to recall the ex-wife being on Tavares' side.
Anyone remember this.

No, I remember a different story.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

grammafreddy wrote:

crookedmember wrote:I believe that's what I remember reading . . .

Back seat maybe?

Doesn't matter really.

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

KL3-Something wrote:Hindsight is when someone says "there was no risk of that gun Buddy had with him being used on the cops because, when they found it, it was nicely tucked away in the canopy out of reach.". The cops on scene didn't know that, couldn't have known that and couldn't approach Tavares with that in their minds.

Yet Mantler took it upon himself to break from protocol, and not wait for backup, which would suggest he wasn't exactly in fear of his life.

I can't seem to shake the feeling, that this whole thing is playing out to where Mantler wants to have it both ways, first he's not worried enough to observe protocol and wait for backup, then all of a sudden he's so concerned that he has to administer a boot to the face? That when in fact there was now backup on scene?

For a trained professional that simply doesn't add up.

I also fail to see what bearing Tavares' ex has on the Mantler trial since some are asking where she is? Who cares, it has zero to do with what went down in the street on KLO and the actions of Mantler.

The furor about this whole case was Mantlers action/behavior, which was seen as crossing the line, not whether Buddy is a good fine upstanding citizen or not. I'd possibly even side with Mantler if there were the slightest sign of aggression on Buddy's part in that video, I saw none. Muttering or saying something under ones breath, if by chance that happened, hardly qualifies as aggression.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Nov 27th, 2012, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Seems from the report of Buddy Tavares' evidence under cross examimation, that he stated that if he wanted to "vent" by shooting off a gun, it would have been easier for him to use his handgun at the range. That testimony brings a couple of thoughts to mind. Firstly, what the heck is a guy who has suffered a brain injury doing with a handgun, which it seems must have been registered? Second, I wonder if it is possible that the officers had checked and were aware that Tavares had a handgun registered to him when responding to the complaint? They would have no way of knowing if he had taken the handgun from the house in the morning would they?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

grammafreddy wrote:If Mantler thought Buddy was so dangerous, why is he standing at the truck door talking to him through the open window with his gun held loosely down at his side?

Thats true too, he is standing right at the door with his gun waving around down by his side the whole time till we lose view for a few seconds, then it looks like he is pointing it at Buddy when he makes the kick, lucky it didnt go off then if the finger was in the right place,,, or wrong place.

Return to “Central Okanagan”