Mantler trial

cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Post by cutter7 »

Let's hope the other officers who feel they can beat suspects learn something from this case.

The bad guys don't always win.
animalhouse

Post by animalhouse »

cowardly
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

mantler just pled guilty. Is this a ploy in hopes he can avoid jail time?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

oh oh, civil lawsuit next? huge settlement....guess who is gonna pay!
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

Now will he be held accountable in the sentencing.

I highly doubt it
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Hopefully this development significantly lessens legal expenses, as well as frees up court rooms, for cases with a little less obvious outcome to be determined.

I'd be surprised if jail time were involved, but it would definitely be reassuring, to know that Mantler won't be in a uniform any time soon, at least not without some sort of mandatory provision implemented, to make sure he doesn't go off again.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

diggerdick wrote:Now will he be held accountable in the sentencing.

I highly doubt it

Me to, maybe 100 hours community service and will probably be put back on duty. Does everyone remember Conlins assault conviction and outcome!
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

mantler will be fired now, for sure....right? they now have cause.... too bad they cant prevent a lawsuit from the victim from proceeding... the victim just won the lottery!
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Logitack wrote:mantler will be fired now, for sure....right? they now have cause.... too bad they cant prevent a lawsuit from the victim from proceeding... the victim just won the lottery!

Usually winning the lottery involves offering a coupla bucks,,, for this lottery win he had to offer his head, dont know if thats a win. Kinda like a trade off maybe,,,,
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
KK69

Post by KK69 »

Mantler had a "Small Man" complex and now he is gonna pay!!!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Surprise move, indeed.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

I am really quite pleased that Mantler decided to do the correct thing and admit he was wrong. This should have been done from the beginning however at least its been done. My personal belief is now he could be retrained and retain his job if he continues to follow the path of reparation instead of the former silence and denial behaviour.
If fellow members learn from this that the correct course of action is to admit your wrongs and take the path to correct them then we will have a much better base within our police force based on honor not lawyers and liars.

If I were Mantler I would have quite likely not kicked my SOC in the head , however If I made that mistake as ALL of us make mistakes for various reasons then I would have chosen to admit my wrongs immediatly without hesitation. I personally would have allowed buddy to chose what happened to me given some choices such as compensation of some sort all the way to counselling. I also would have allowed buddy to deliver the exact same kick to myself to help me understand the gravity of what actually happened. Of course after he was back to 100 percent health so when if he chose to kick me he could use the same gravity and force any able bodied person could.

This is what real men do. They admit they were or did wrong and TRY all methods to reduce any damage that had been created due their mistake , whatever it may have been.
They do not hide behind lawyers and remain silent while the public display they created prepares to lynch them and fellow partners because one decided to become judge jury and executioner on the side of a highway.
This is the first correct thing Mr Mantler has done in my view since he assulted Buddy that morning.
Perhaps he needed to do this so he could sleep at night or maybe he saw the gavel falling in buddies favor and knows well that found guilty on an innocence plea will fetch more punishment than a truely remorseful admition of guilt from the very beginning.
I can't say why he changed his plea, but I will say it was the correct thing to do and better late than never. NOW the healing can begin for both Buddy and Mantler. The surface wounds may be gone but you can bet that both of them have not gone a day without replaying that event in their heads wondering if it could have been different..
admitting and understanding is a very heavy healing tool if you find yourself a victim or agressor at some point in your life.
Never run or try to hide from your mistakes.. Learn from them and DON'T repeat them is a far better set of options.
Lets hope Mantler is thinking somewhere along these lines now and is prepared to accept his punishment whatever it may be.
It was duely earned , and he knows it.
I feel bad for both Buddy and Mantler over this entire situation , not to mention the huge PR mess it created for the senior brass with the RCMP.
I smell change in the wind and it would be about time. It seems to be good change for now.

P99
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Still the kick stands and well he was the only one to see...even the other officer said that he was going unusually slow and making different jestures before the kick...so mantler as I would have done the kick regardless for protection...you can never know in these cases.

He pleaded Guilty...good now he can do some community work...or house arrest....then go to another police office and work there away from kelowna....a few years later everyone forgets.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
erazmus

Post by erazmus »

Why does it always take Castanet so long between posting "Breaking News - Details to come" and the actual story?

Return to “Central Okanagan”