Mantler trial

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mantler trial

Post by Treblehook »

That post by xkite is akin to what one might expect from a troglidite. Impossible to assess what he/she was thinking or if any of that activity was actually occurring.
xkite

Post by xkite »

Well maybe I did embellish the point a hair. I don't know what factors were in play that day but whatever they were, when faced with split second decisions, you don't take the time right then to weigh it all out. That weighing out process for whatever was foundational predetermined the outcome for Buddy long before Mantler ever arrived at the scene. What we saw, was the end result of whatever were the inner workings of Mantler. He made decisions and weighed things as he saw fit. If this was customary behaviour for him, I question the training and discernment process. The video made that pretty clear. Someone should have picked up on that impulsiveness.

I suspect a more subtle secretive sort of thing crept into play in Mantlers mind by way of his partner. And no not all those blatant stereotypes need apply, just this particular man and this particular woman. Human beings maybe confiding in each other. All it would take to tip the scales minutely in that situation was for Mantler to know that his partner was hesitant and would be slow to shoot if required. He then believes he has to react quicker and sooner to compensate. Just that simple.. Yes I ascribe that due I do not wish to believe the precursors for this sort of behaviour could go unnoticed. I more believe the interplay at blame and more believe that these very important partnering decisions should be made very carefully. You end up with a Robert Dziekanski and such affair when it goes wrong, Buddy got lucky, the next?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hate to tell you but Mantler got there alone..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
xkite

Post by xkite »

Maybe but if so, someone along the line in training or on the job should have picked up on that propensitey to overreact impulsevly. The video shows someone who should not have been allowed in that position if he had been that way all along. imo.

We are supposed to learn something from every situation like this and take corrective measures to help ensure it doesn't happen again. Or at least keep on that road. To get there you first have to identify a problem. If Mantler alone is to blame here, and he has the same training and testing as everyone else, how many more Mantlers are there out there?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

anyone remember the cops in saskatoon who were dropping drunk natives off in the middle of winter with no shoes or jackets miles from there houses . there have been alot of police like mantler over the years . my guess is maybe 1 percent of them get caught so that means there r a lot more out there rite now .
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

xkite wrote:Well maybe I did embellish the point a hair. I don't know what factors were in play that day but whatever they were, when faced with split second decisions, you don't take the time right then to weigh it all out. That weighing out process for whatever was foundational predetermined the outcome for Buddy long before Mantler ever arrived at the scene. What we saw, was the end result of whatever were the inner workings of Mantler. He made decisions and weighed things as he saw fit. If this was customary behaviour for him, I question the training and discernment process. The video made that pretty clear. Someone should have picked up on that impulsiveness.

I suspect a more subtle secretive sort of thing crept into play in Mantlers mind by way of his partner. And no not all those blatant stereotypes need apply, just this particular man and this particular woman. Human beings maybe confiding in each other. All it would take to tip the scales minutely in that situation was for Mantler to know that his partner was hesitant and would be slow to shoot if required. He then believes he has to react quicker and sooner to compensate. Just that simple.. Yes I ascribe that due I do not wish to believe the precursors for this sort of behaviour could go unnoticed. I more believe the interplay at blame and more believe that these very important partnering decisions should be made very carefully. You end up with a Robert Dziekanski and such affair when it goes wrong, Buddy got lucky, the next?

As is often stated, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your ramblings where you explore or suppose that Mantler's actions were due to his lack of confidence in his partner as you put it, are baseless and pretty objectionable on several levels. They all receive the same training, but the obvious observation is that Mantler reacted to the situation differently than do other members. That would seem to suggest that the problem relates to him as an individual member, does it not? Your expressed opinion vis-a-vis the female officer vs male officer, speaks to your ignorance of fact on the entire topic. It would be interesting to know what facts, personal experience or research you are relying upon to so easily demean and belittle the abilities and contribution of women to law enforcement. Perhaps if you chose more simple language to express yourself, then the resulting diminished "fog index" in your writings would make your meaning more easily understood.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

theyeti wrote:anyone remember the cops in saskatoon who were dropping drunk natives off in the middle of winter with no shoes or jackets miles from there houses . there have been alot of police like mantler over the years . my guess is maybe 1 percent of them get caught so that means there r a lot more out there rite now .

With the same thought process you could say the same thing about any person who tried to kill a cop...remember when... You cannot judge all cops for what a few may or may not have done. That is as unfair as every cop thinking everyone they deal with is a "scumb bag" etc..when clearly this is not the case.
Not to personally attack you but your posts are nothing more then random comments about something you know little to nothing about and try and pass it off as if you were there to witness it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

That is as unfair as every cop thinking everyone they deal with is a "scumb bag"

I've felt that way as an "everyone"..... 20 years of trying to be a parent and....

never mind, I'm on the wrong thread...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

MAPearce wrote:....never mind, I'm on the wrong thread...

But yet you still posted it???
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:But yet you still posted it???

I could be wrong but I think you missed a little shot at humour,,, let it hang a bit buddy :dyinglaughing:

Meanwhile there is a difference between a cop thinking everyone wants to kill him,,,, he has lost it then, and the other point, everyone thinking all cops want to drop indians off far from their homes,,, lets not forget the general public can do things and it happens but when a cop holds a great amount of authority given to him/her by law that he could use to do things unthinkable its just different, they cant look like they would do things like dropping off indians out in the snow in a field, so,,,, it stands to reason this case would stand out as a totally scary thing when one has authority behind his actions if those actions are gonna be bad for the public.
Now I agree we cant paint every member with the same brush and have said it over and over again but Your point just doesnt make sense as a comparison. Sorry.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
xkite

Post by xkite »

When I first wrote, I made an outlandish portrayal which I assumed would be recognized as such. Some did. What I intended by that was to point out some of the variables (embellished for emphasis) that may have been at play in Mantler’s mind that day, not yours or mine. The actions he took spoke to something not being quite right in him. Same as the sort of thing I wrote, not right either. I questioned the underpinnings to his decision that day. Not to justify that thinking but to point out how something like that could come into play. In a split second decision, it may not take that much to shift the balance.

The highly embellished part was overdone to show we may not all be the same in how we think. Whether Police officer or not is irrelevant. The point was although it ended with Mantler alone shouldering all the blame, perhaps a deeper look is warranted. Not here and not by us but internally. Any partnering with that same end result should be questioned whether it be experienced and rookie or any other circumstance. Here the two individuals just happened to be male female with interplay that may have effected decisions that day. That dynamic may have played a role in Mantler’s mind, not ours. People and organizations should learn from mistakes in order to keep them from happening again. They should look deeper imo.

In the future I will be more careful not to write in that style without additional clarification and fully recognize the benefits and worthiness of female officers as a whole.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

To embellish or not to embellish,,,,
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
xkite

Post by xkite »

hah, let me count the replies... apparently not!
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

Roadster wrote:.... lets not forget the general public can do things and it happens but when a cop holds a great amount of authority given to him/her by law that he could use to do things unthinkable its just different, .

I dont think there is a cop out there that does not understand and accept this. Yes cops are held to a higher standard then the gen pub...but there should not be a double standard employed with this as well and that is the point I was attempting to drive home.
Roadster wrote:Now I agree we cant paint every member with the same brush and have said it over and over again...

You're right we cannot. I will conceed that when members do silly, stupid or illegal things it makes the rest of the membership look bad...but why is that...because they do the same job as the member that messed up? Or is it because we are all part of the RCMP or are just cops in general? My point is exactly the same as yours that the gen pub cannot and should not paint all cops with the same brush just as all cops should not paint all of the people they come into contact with on a daily basis with the same brush as well.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I could be wrong but I think you missed a little shot at humour,,, let it hang a bit buddy

You were right Roadie...And Trunk , it would be easier not to "paint all with the same brush" IF the good cops refutted the actions of the bad one instead of going with the status qou by looking the other way when they do "silly ,stupid or illegal things "...

It appears that some did in Mantlers trial...Kudo's to them.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”