Mantler trial

Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Post by Roadster »

Treblehook wrote:These police related topics give those poor unfortunate souls amongst us, who have had the bad luck or misfortune of [repeatedly] running afoul of the police, a stump from which to voice their displeasure. From their comments it would seem that not a single one of them had done anything to contribute to the unpleasant interaction with the police. It is truly unfortunate that these few citizens have been singled out by demented officers, while the vast majority of our population goes through their entire lives with little or no official contact with the constabulary. A travesty I say which is indicative of their being far too many police officers in our communities ... I mean, when they have time to go out and randomly select law abiding citizens for "special" treatment!!!

Now ther's an assumption from a quarter back, you think everyone here has had a run in? My closest run ins where when I called them and they ended an attempted break in and a possible attack on a oman next door from me,,, you are maybe the one who has it in the bum about all of this.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

I havn't bothered to read through all the non-sense posts on ALL of the "Mantler" threads on this forum. How many is there now anyway 18?!

However, from simply seeing the video when it first came out it's obvious he used excessive force however:

He will serve no time in jail and
He will have a job with the rcmp after everything is said and done.

Whether it's the same position or not I doubt it, but he WILL be employed by the rcmp

Unfortunately it's the way things go in our country.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

Mantlers actions put the lives of Tavares and others at risk with his hollywood drama movie takedown. I don`t want to crucify Mantler but he really screwed up badly as a cop.
ZaftigBoy

Post by ZaftigBoy »

i think you are right it is only makes sense that when pwople watch police and gang movies and shows it is easy to get caught up in it and evcen for a law enforcemnt officer and perhaps Mantler willl need to discuss this

i have read this is a condition that can affect an office :skyisfalling:
Live Balanced - Live Free - Live Kind - If you think thats hard try to sit on an egg
mrsocial

Post by mrsocial »

this donkey needs to have an example made of him... kicked off the force and thrown in jail. :discodance:
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I think Roadster, you have misunderstood my comment. My remarks were not directed at everyone who has offered some criticism about the police; rather, at those very few who spin anything and everything into a negative observation about police officers; those individuals who very obviously have an anti-police agenda, and who take the actions of one officer and credit the entire police community with the same conduct or shortcoming. I don't know about you, but in my humble opinion, posters who show no capacity to be objective and who are obsessive in their distrust, dislike and vilification of an entire group of dedicated public servants .... well, they lack credibility. I lack the self-discipline to keep that opinion to myself. Reference Mantler, I have said that I think his actions were inappropriate and that it will be up to the court to determine whether he committed a criminal offence. It would be neither logical, nor is there evidence to support a contention that all of the cops out there would and do react the same way that Mantler did in this case. I hope these added comments make my position clear.
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

as other people have said, a lot of poeple have have done a lot worse and gotten less to nothing.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Treblehook wrote:I hope these added comments make my position clear.

Just the way you said it or I read it but yes you did clear it up nicely, thanks.
And I agree, you cant paint the whole group with the same brush, I have said many times I have had nothing short of excellent service the few times I needed them and they do give me a great sense of security in our country knowing they will do what they do for us.
But I think the way it was of covering an act of wrongness gives a few people a bad taste as well, hoping that is all changing now and there will be more transparency because after all they are "expected" not to screw up but they are human like we are and things can happen just as easily as it can for the rest of us who are not cops.
I am sure this cop is as good as the rest but he did have some kind of issue or a bad day if he did something wrong and the best move for the system would be to work with the public and their members to make sure its being fixed. Once people see that we will see less of the cop hater "looking" stuff, it will be just the very few who had their bad run in who will slam the system.
The RCMP is a big part of our Canadian history as well as our law enforcers and we dont need other countries thinking its got dirty bits happening and being covered from us. We need to trust and respect them too.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

From the outside looking in, I really don't know what the man in charge of Kelowna Detachment could have done much differently than he did, especially when the drama of the takedown was being played out on the six o'clock news as it were. He sure didn't try to cover anything up in my opinion. In essence, McKinnon said in a promptly held press conference, that after viewing the tape and with the information he had at that very early juncture, that he was concerned that excessive force had been used. He informed the public that the member was being taken off the road and that an investigation was being initiated; both statutary and internal. As early as was feasible, McKinnon sought a suspension of the member [with pay] pending the outcome of the investigation. Since this occurred prior to the formation of the independent investigative body that now exists, McKinnon had the investigation completed by officers from an outside police force ... Abbottsford. Following the findings and recommendations of the Abbottsford police investigation and the formal charges being brought against Mantler, the RCMP in Ottawa stopped Mantler's pay.. which is as we all know is an uncommon decision. Further, Ottawa decided that Mantler's lawyer would not be paid for by the Force. If my understanding of that provision is close to correct.... the Commissioner of the RCMP decided that the officer's actions were outside the scope of his duties. I guess that point could be argued all day long, but nonetheless his lawyer is apparently not being funded by tax dollars. After the charges were laid and the matter before the court, the nature and extent of comment by the RCMP on the incident was greatly reduced as required in all cases. The last thing they needed to do was contaminate the prosecution of the case by some careless disclosure/comment to the media. So, my point is the criticism of the Force or the Kelowna Detachment that they were less than transparent in releasing information to the public on this case seems unwarranted to me. McKinnon takes the guy off the road and asks that he be suspended when it looks like the member may have committed a serious wrong and he is accused by some of throwing his guy under the bus. Go figure!!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mrcycle wrote:this proves how much people ACTUALLY know about this case and policing, when they dont even know why he was in plain clothes and just used his loud hailer to exit the car. Oh wait he was driving an unmarked vehicle that didnt have one. The simple fact people are actually questioning why he wasn't in uniform is a clear example that they are arm chair quaterbacks. :ohmygod:

I don't understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that some people have suggested that Mantler should have used his loud hailer to get Buddy out of his truck ?

You are saying that he couldn't because he was in an unmarked police car that didn't have one ??
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Agree with that Trebblehook, his bosses didnt throw him under a bus at all, they did what they needed to till its cleared up and will do whats next after this is done.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

The bosses didn't suspend another officer when he chased after a guy and punched him in the face just because he got mad and felt like it. And this officer actually did end up getting convicted of assault.

Mantler may have made some mistakes, but this sad saga was a cluster**** from the 911 call forward.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

crookedmember wrote:The bosses didn't suspend another officer when he chased after a guy and punched him in the face just because he got mad and felt like it. And this officer actually did end up getting convicted of assault.

Mantler may have made some mistakes, but this sad saga was a cluster**** from the 911 call forward.

You are right concerning the no suspension of the member who punched the guy in the face during an incident at bar flush.. but, you would have to concede that the nature and extent of evidence relating to that case against the officer and the graphic nature of the evidence presented to McKinnon on the Mantler case differed considerably. No? But, I guess you can spin it however you like it. This thread is about the Mantler case isn't it?
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

crookedmember wrote:The bosses didn't suspend another officer when he chased after a guy and punched him in the face just because he got mad and felt like it. And this officer actually did end up getting convicted of assault.

Treblehook wrote:You are right concerning the no suspension of the member who punched the guy in the face during an incident at bar flush.. but, you would have to concede that the nature and extent of evidence relating to that case against the officer and the graphic nature of the evidence presented to McKinnon on the Mantler case differed considerably. No? But, I guess you can spin it however you like it. This thread is about the Mantler case isn't it?

Well, let's see. The evidence presented to McKinnon that officer "B" chased after a guy who told him 'get to work' and punched him in the face for no good reason must have been pretty solid because the court eventually convicted him.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

You know as I sit here sometimes and read these posts and I chuckle to myself. As much as some of you would like to think that you know everything about the occurrence...trust me you dont and nor do I. Why dont we all let the man have his day in court. I mean I read a post where someone said he should be made an example of...blah blah blah. Yet another stating the reasons he was not in a uniform or why he did not use his mic to call Buddy out of the car...this is nothing more than white noise.
Again...this will all be covered in the only forum that matters...a court of law....everything else is mere speculation...and yes that includes the video because at the end of the day...the only thing that matters is what is presented in court and what is used to explain said presentation and if the judge lends any weight to it.
LET THE MAN HAVE IS DAY IN COURT...just like any of you or I would want.

Return to “Central Okanagan”