Mantler trial

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Post by Fancy »

Raven1 wrote:Not according ken's statement.....the only thing that matters is that all MEMBERS walk away safely, success has been achieved.
I don't agree - you took it out of context. You are the one spinning it.

I think what you have missed by anyone with law enforcement training on here is simple :

Unless you have all the facts, you don't assume or jump to conclusion!! It's just that simple.

Read the posts, not one has said how they would have done this take down. Each and every event has a number of ways of dealing with it; as long as the officers all walk away safely it was successful.

No mention of bystanders/suspect - this was specific to having officers walk away safely instead of the opposite happening.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Raven1 wrote:

A normal citizen would already be charged with assault and have a criminal record.

And that citizen would have gotten on with the rest of his life a long time ago.
That citizen may have a record, but his face wouldnt have been on every news media source daily for a year.
That citizen wouldnt be as recognizable as Arnold Shwartzenegger is.
That citizen wouldnt be shamed by an entire community.
That citizen likely wouldnt have been suspended from his job.
Etc
Etc
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Raven1 wrote:A normal citizen would already be charged with assault and have a criminal record.

Don't think so - a normal citizen still has to have his day in court.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I certainly do not condone what Mantler did, on the contrary, I find his actions deplorable and unbefitting an officer.
But I think if any citizen who got charged with assault got half the public flogging that Mantler did before even being convicted, that person would be crying uncle a long time ago.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Babbitman wrote:No citizen would get anywhere close to the negative notoriety that he got for the same thing.
I think he made a big mistake, and he paid one helluva big price for it, a much bigger price than you or I would have.

Raven1
A normal citizen would already be charged with assault and have a criminal record.

Which is true in this case. Buddy had his day in court almost immediately but let also note that in this case Buddy did take about as much as the cop, right up till now, especially here on the forums. A lot of people called him down, said he was an idiot, hung his dirty laundry out in the street. I think he may have gotten off lightly by the courts for some reason as some say but he has paid right along as well. His face and story are as familiar as the cops around town and even across the country.

But I agree, I dont care if he gets time or not. IMO, if he did wrong he shouldnt be allowed to work enforcement type jobs again and thats a price but not a huge one.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

The Abbotsford expert lamented the fact that no senior RCMP members showed up for this code 5 take down slash deadly workplace shooting. Mantler had three years of experience. Cst. Boffy (the cute one) just two years.

From start to finish, no member with more than four years of experience showed his face. Where were the more experienced cops? Where was even a *single* more experienced cop?

This is why I'm sort of starting to feel sorry for Mantler. He was forced to take this on alone. He got the job done. He made a few mistakes in hindsight. But nobody died.

What thanks did he get? The fat-assed bosses threw him under the bus so the public could back over him.

I'm starting to hope he wins, so he can drag a few of those spineless bosses through the courts.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

To Crookedmember
Even if some of the more experienced members coulda showed up, it was prit near done before more then One other member showed up. In a case like this, wouldnt 5 three year members be better then one?
We always say dont count yer chickens before they hatch. You might want more then less no matter who showed up.
Also if he was a plainclothed cop my thinking would be he has taken extra training or was found to have some great level of experience, No?
I could be wrong there but in my mind, you move out of uniform because you are recognised as able in other fields of your work. Or are they putting the inexperienced in plain clothes for some other reason maybe? Also does this plain clothed thing mean he was higher then a constable? Is there a certain rank you would have moved to drop the uniform?
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Yes, but those more experienced officers and bosses didn't know they'd be late to the party. They didn't show up period. Even when the scene was being mopped up.

The bosses' solution was to can the one guy who went in and did the job.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

crookedmember wrote:Yes, but those more experienced officers and bosses didn't know they'd be late to the party. They didn't show up period. Even when the scene was being mopped up.

The bosses' solution was to can the one guy who went in and did the job.

But why? Should he have been able? Three years and being in plain clothes tells me he shoulda or he shoulda been with a partner,,,
If three years isnt enough then what is considered experienced? Anyone know?
I kinda doubt he woulda been out of uniform and doing special work if he wasnt considered experienced.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Roadster wrote:But why? Should he have been able? Three years and being in plain clothes tells me he shoulda or he shoulda been with a partner,,,
If three years isnt enough then what is considered experienced? Anyone know?
I kinda doubt he woulda been out of uniform and doing special work if he wasnt considered experienced.

I'm not defending everything Mantler did. And I have no idea why he was in street clothes that day.

I'm just saying this was a code 5 take down after a workplace shooting and asking where the more experienced members and supervisors were.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Raven for you I'll simplify that statement as yes you are trying to pick fly *bleep* out of pepper. Yes, taking every post out of context or trying too.

As you have suggested we do not care about anyone but ourselves, sorry you are simple. Our objective is protection of Life, Public Safety, and then Property.

Police Officers even in hostage situations get warm and fuzzy if everyone including the hostage survive at the end of the day!!

Police officers like every other warm blooded Canadian do wish to come home alive, sadly at times they do not.

You sure are having fun trying to cause trouble, possibly the mods can start monitoring your posts prior to them being posted!!
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

He was not Out of uniform because he had experienced

He was out of uniform Because he had the look that the RCMP Believed would allow him To blend in with what they believe is the more lower-class side of society.

In the 1970s and 80s it used to be great fun to go to the bars and pick out the undercover cops and laugh at them :dyinglaughing: they stood out like sore thumbs
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's a difference between plainclothes and undercover. Mantler, as far as I know, was not undercover.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Babbitman wrote:
And that citizen would have gotten on with the rest of his life a long time ago.
That citizen may have a record, but his face wouldnt have been on every news media source daily for a year.
That citizen wouldnt be as recognizable as Arnold Shwartzenegger is.
That citizen wouldnt be shamed by an entire community.
That citizen likely wouldnt have been suspended from his job.
Etc
Etc

This goes for both Tavares and Mantler, I wonder how many
times they have both had to change phone numbers, or even addresses, since being
hounded to death from every media outlet known to man.

I'm sure they both will procceed with the rest of their lives quite
differently, no matter the outcome of the courts.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Fancy wrote:There's a difference between plainclothes and undercover. Mantler, as far as I know, was not undercover.

Yes there would be but also a difference between uniformed and plain clothes. I would think but could be wrong, that they would go plain clothes for a special reason, one being they have shown some abilities above when in uniform, like extra training or some special abilities, unless its just a random selection kinda deal. I would like to hear from someone if there is any difference between uniform and plain clothed cops, that would give us an idea if he was capable to do a take down as he went to do even with only three years actual time in. Sometimes different levels of training in some jobs changes how you are placed.

Return to “Central Okanagan”