Fire plan too rich for taxpayers

acrossthebridge

Fire plan too rich for taxpayers

Post by acrossthebridge »

I am surprised that no one has talked about this plan. Considering they want to hire 40 new fire fighters that will cost the taxpayer up to 8% alone? That is not including the costs for two new fire stations. Any thoughts?
cv23
Guru

Re: Fire plan too rich for taxpayers

Post by cv23 »

Sounds like a far better use of our tax dollars than fancy light poles for Bernard or a parkade for use by IH workers
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

acrossthebridge wrote:I am surprised that no one has talked about this plan. Considering they want to hire 40 new fire fighters that will cost the taxpayer up to 8% alone? That is not including the costs for two new fire stations. Any thoughts?

Whats 8% to the taxpayer per year $12-16..... so a dollar a month for 40 more people to help aid a place that has multiple fires every year...

thats my thought..
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

Math was not your best subject in school. ^^^^^^^^^^^
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

rutland1 wrote:Math was not your best subject in school. ^^^^^^^^^^^

why would you say that..
verve_80
Fledgling

Post by verve_80 »

I'd like them to build the halls and hire the firefighters. Far better use of our tax dollars than grizzly bears that light up, etc, etc. There are getting to be some really long response times to a lot of areas of Kelowna. The two additional halls would definitely help, especially the one in North Glenmore. 8% would be about another $120 a year for the average tax payer or a whopping 33 cents a day. Well worth it.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

oh i see what I did, forgot the *0* in my post..... $120-160 per year.... :ohmygod:
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

I guess it shows some poor planning that they got rid of the fire hall at KLO and Gordon in the first place. At least they turned it over to the Parks department.
acrossthebridge

Post by acrossthebridge »

I don't think adding two more halls to kelowna and 40 plus firemen would benefit the taxpayers of kelowna. I think the majority of money would be better spent on adding more ambulance stations and paramedics to aliviate the responses the fire department does. Acording to the city of kelowna website the majority of responses they do is first medical response. So would it not be financially prudent to spend the money where it is really needed, and that's more emergency medical responses by bc ambulance? It would free up the department to focus what they are good at, and that's fighting fires.
commonsense65

Post by commonsense65 »

Spend more on BC Ambulance??? Hmm not sure about that one... They came to get my aunt and had three people in one ambulance and two in another... Adds up to 5 perople and two ambulances in my math. Firefighters showed up with two first and did the same thing except give aunt Pam a ride to the hospital.Ill pay the extra tax to have enough fireman to do the job of fire fighting amd medical and all the other things they do. Ohh and spend more municipal tax dollars on Provincial matters?
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Traffic accidents, medical emergencies , safety programs and of course fire fighting. We really do get more bang for our buck when we support the fire department.

I hate to admit it though as my brother in law is a fireman and he doesn't need his head to get any bigger.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

No I do not want my tax dollars for new halls & new firefighters. As was previously explained the majority of calls are of the medical nature which can be handled by ambulance staff even though they are mostly provincially funded . New ambulance stations would be more appropiate . Currently we have an ambulances as well as a half million $$ fire truck with 4 highly paid crew on board both going to the same call . Makes no sense.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

When my old fella fell down the long flight of steps I didn't care who got there first. First aid attendant, first responders, police, firemen, ambulance .... they all knew what to and whoever was able to get there first was just fine by me. When time is of the essence, life or death, it matters how close the help is - any help. If someone wants more money for closer emergency response, I'd sure pay to be able to have it. New fire hall, new ambulance station ... worth every penny and the amount they say it will cost seems quite reasonable.

I'm just guessing but I'd say the naysayers have never been in a situation where they are waiting for medical help in an emergency - and waiting and waiting and waiting .... watching someone they loved die.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

I couldnt agree more grmfrdy . Waiting for medical aid to arrive can seem like forever but why do we have to double up on the same service ?? I guess this day and time perhaps its the only thing we get a double whammy for our tax dollar.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

One might consider the mustering and travel time if help has to come from the other side of town during rush hour. Or how fast help can arrive if there's a major emergency somewhere else and all centralized units are there, but you are many miles away.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”