Summerland Seniors Village Problem

my5cents
Guru

Re: Summerland Seniors Village Problem

Post by my5cents »

Queen K wrote:Gambler has got it almost perfect.

Did this fellow even have home support or not is part of the question.

But there is a whole more to that too.

Even if he did, protocol is that two people go to a room together, one would be the Villages staff member with the CHW.

Seeing that IHA has THREE investigations going I'm not sure what else I can elaborate on.

Bipdl has it down to the buck stops at the desk of the Village. Correct in my view too.

I don't see where the question of "Did Bonaldi have home support (or whatever level of care) or not enters into this".

For the sake of safety, the staff serving the meals have a proceedure that if someone isn't present for meals, the serving staff advise the care staff who check of the resident.

Either the serving staff didn't advise the care staff or the care staff were advised and didn't take action.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

It wasn't this facility but I can tell of one that left my mother for two hours face down in her unfinished lunch in their common dining room with staff, visitors and residents wandering through.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Yeah right. And I have a bridge to sell you.....
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

0gopogo wrote:Yeah right. And I have a bridge to sell you.....

Thanks. I don't need a bridge. And I ain't prone to telling lies, either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

The way this article reads to me the family had complained about the treatment their Momma got at the same place - wonder why they didn't move Dad? Maybe he really liked it there, maybe they were stuck with a contract..
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/year ... story.html
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I like how each subsequent story is adding more and more detail to the tale. He was found in bed. That means a lot to me and tells a bigger picture.

Summerland is really small, and Penticton may be full up as in, not a suitable independent living room available. Not telling why the family didn't move dad. But a move can be very tramatic at age 92, even for someone billed as with it and doing stuff.

Myfivecents, I think you've misunderstood what I was saying about the homesupport. All I'm saying is that since he wasn't on the homesupport list, there was no reason for any homesupport worker to go to his room and do a check. It'd be exactly as if a homesupport worker pulled a car up to a random house and knocked on a door to do a check. Doesn't matter if all the "homes" are all in same building.

I just want you all to know that some independent living situations have barrier free coming and goings, meaning, though it is not necessary to check in to the desk to announce you'll be away for lunch, it is prudent.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

lets hope this brings positive changes that will be longlasting!

Summerland care home to get review
by Ragnar Haagen - Story: 83986
Dec 1, 2012 / 3:15 pm

Photo: Contributed
According to Interior Health, a clinical consultant has been brought in to ensure that proper care is being delivered to residents living at Summerland Seniors Village.

“An overall review of the residential care section of the facility was already underway,” says Karen Bloemink, Regional Director, Residential Services.

“However, in light of recent concerns brought to us, we believe additional steps are required and we want to assure residents living at Summerland Seniors Village and their loved ones that we are taking these concerns seriously.”

This consultant will remain on site to work with existing management and staff to address concerns and improve care.

In addition to having a clinical consultant on site, the Ministry of Health is also investigating and taking steps to ensure residents living in other parts of this facility, whether assisted living or independent living, are also receiving safe and appropriate services. The Ministry of Health will be sending an inspector to the facility on Monday.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

In addition to having a clinical consultant on site, the Ministry of Health is also investigating and taking steps to ensure residents living in other parts of this facility, whether assisted living or independent living, are also receiving safe and appropriate services. The Ministry of Health will be sending an inspector to the facility on Monday.

HALLELUJAH!!!! It's about time!!!

Let's hope that both the "consultant" and the Inspector properly see the forest... not just the trees - with an eye to overall improvement in what this facility is actually supposed to be to its inhabitants. I hope the Inspectors get some alone time with a few of the longer term employees as part of their review! No sense in just quickly flashing a light into a few select corners for the simple sake of being able to say you looked into it and it's not that bad. Come to think of it, a comprehensive inspection of all physical infrastructure and apparatuses would be in order too. (I'm always suspicious of politically motivated window dressing whenever the obvious need for full scale, in-depth systemic evaluations and upgrades are indicated.)

My suggestion would be that a safe process be implemented for bringing internal operational problems to the attention of independent outside authorities if and when management fails to effectively address legitimate issues brought to their attention (as opposed to just sweeping the problems under the rug and then terminating the identifying "messenger's" employment). Afterall, it's the people in the trenches who are best able to identify shortcomings and recommend workable solutions... not the suits or the bean-counters (and certainly not the shareholders)!

I find it quite curious that Retirement Concepts' facilities seem to so frequently be the ones mired in controversy, especially the Summerland Senior's Village, considering how many senior care homes there are being successfully operated by a myriad of other companies, not just in the Okanagan, but throughout the province.

I guess the old adage holds true... the one that goes: "All that glitters is not gold".
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

[/quote] Thanks. I don't need a bridge. And I ain't prone to telling lies, either.[/quote]

Sorry, but I highly doubt your mother was left for two hours face down in her unfinished lunch in a common dining room with staff, visitors and residents wandering through.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

It is entirely possible that it was 2 hours...........my Dad was in a local facility and I spent a lot of time with him and some of the things I saw just make you sick,I would go after work and sit with him while he had his dinner, his fine motor skills were not good and they would come and plunk the plates of food in front of the residents and they were left to their own devices after that.The salad dressing was served in those little containers with the peel off tin foil cover, well, I would get my Dads and his table mates salad fixed up for them,and cut their meat otherwise they would not have been able to do that themselves.I am fortunate that I could go and help but what about those poor follks who don't have family to come help. My Dad would use the pool that they had but he had to be transfered by staff....I have sat with him at times for more than an hour waiting for a transfer to get out of his wet bathing suit, meanwhile I was piling on the blankets to keep him warm,He has been left sitting on the toilet for lengthy periods of time as well..........these are only a few examples
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It strikes me that problems lay where the bottom line of the business of providing care overrides the principle of providing care. People out there scraping by on minimum wage have their minds on their own problems.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

Could staffing levels be an issue here? Do we know if the staff have too much to do? I suspect this may be the case.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Captain77 wrote:Could staffing levels be an issue here? Do we know if the staff have too much to do? I suspect this may be the case.

This is exactly the case and has been the case for years now.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Article in todays Kelowna Capital News.
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/front ... dence.html
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Egads I'm going to be sick.

Terrible track record.

Thanks for posting the lastest Daily Courier article Lore.

To everyone out there I assure you, I know some mighty fine people who work in Independent living homes and they'd be stricken if any of their work collegues acted in this way to tarnish where they work. Ultimately it comes to to the actions of a few that have made it so terrible.

Listen I have a lot more to say about these places but can't really be misintrepreted as to directing my comments at one particular place. And I don't just mean Summerlands.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”