Waste Lots Want Lots...er...wait...

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Waste Lots Want Lots...er...wait...

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

kumazatheef wrote:We can sit here and whinge about what "should" happen, but the reality is the road received improvements ... and if you're not in favour of improving things then, well ... good luck ...

Actually the reality is, the road received improvements, but in an area that, as a person very familiar with it, could well be viewed as far less dangerous than other sections of the road.

Don't get me wrong it's very unfortunate that a life was lost, but in the grand scheme of things it appears most folks have been successfully navigating the sharp curve along the reservoir. Further down the very same road there are areas that have no barriers yet drop straight down a very steep hillside, in some spots possibly even onto someone's house, yet that hasn't been addressed.

My point is driving carries with it inherent risks, something a driver should be aware of when they get behind the wheel, and no amount of money spent is going to make all roads or highways accident proof. Even in the prairies, where mountain dwellers like us might well wonder, how anyone could get into a predicament, when you can see for fifty miles in either direction on flat roads, people still manage to get killed, regardless of the fact that compared to here, the danger levels are dramatically less.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
JUST-SAYIN

Post by JUST-SAYIN »

While not exactly relevant to this ridiculous thread, I bet some of you will get a kick out of this

Dumb ways to die!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw&list=UL

People will be people and yes, sometimes you need to help them stay safe!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I'm good that the road has been fixed. Mon Cheri worked hard if it saves another Life down the line, cool.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Graham Adder wrote:Now, as with so many roadways that offered such pleasantries, our money is being spent to ruin those qualities in trade for protecting the minute numbers of people that have an issue with driving on a road with minimal challenges.

Graham Adder wrote:If this person was unable to keep control of their car on this stretch...for whatever reason...then is it not safe to assume it was only a matter of time when they were bound to find an accident to get into.

kumazatheef wrote:I mean, seriously ...

I KNOW...seriously is RIGHT.
Good to know you're on my side.
:dyinglaughing:

Ya know...since we're talking safety (in some context), let's consider for a moment some realistic safety measures aside from simply driving in an appropriate manner.

I've had several modified vehicles over the years. In most of my "builds" I've added either a partial or full roll cage. Internal is my fave, as they (the roll bars and supports, trusses etc.) aren't seen from the outside, yet offer so very much more protection to myself and my passengers.

I've seen a program on television that displayed what a simple roll cage made from 2" steel tubing affixed to the interior of a cessna plane. They then dropped the cessna from a high crane to simulate a freefall crash. Guess what. The crash test dummies showed that both the pilot and passenger would have walked away (in all likelihood) from the crash. Why? Because a simple low budget cage absorbed the forces of the impact. Same goes in automobiles. Think NASCAR, or any other motor vehicle "sport".

So:
Why do we not all spend the couple of thousand dollars upon purchase of a vehicle to have our own cage welded in to protect us?
We can see for ourselves what an impact (untimely play on words) having a roll cage can have every time we see an auto racer crash and walk away waving to the crowd.
If we really, genuinely want to talk safety and so on, then why wouldn't we add this simple, effective and affordable modification, or ask it of our auto makers of choice to start making a roll cage a part of their build?

I've driven a lot of roadway over the years, and I've been in a few dumb accidents. My own stupidity. My own bad habits.
Although a couple of these crashes were on what would be labeled deadly and dangerous roads, I've never considered the road or the design to be at fault. I've only blamed myself.

I had a multiple roll over at the end of a dead end road that met the ocean after a blind crest.
It's true...such a road exists in our fine land.
This piece of road abruptly ends at the bottom of a blind crest with a steep drop of at least 50 feet. The barricade at the end sat back about 12 feet from a drop to the ocean.
I wasn't paying attention, didn't see the warning sign and found out that wheels on the roof wouldn't be a bad addition for times like that.
It was my own fault.
I wouldn't consider pushing for tax payers to "fix" that piece of road.
I was the one needing to be fixed (no...not like that...geezuz gutterminds).
I learned a valuable lesson that day that very well may have kept me alive up to today.
I was at fault.
I learned.
The road remains the same.
A deadly, dead end.

As an addition:
The investigating officer to that crash also lost control of his cruiser on that very same dead end blind crested road that very same night.
Yet the road remains the same.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Darwin wept.
Your bias suits you.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-84370-1-.htm#84370

In honour of remembering Driver a natural granite stone monument has been placed behind the barricades near the 30 foot embankment Driver's car plummeted down

The article I read early this morning stated that Driver's mother, Tonya Alton was campaigning to have a permanent monument placed at the curve where her daughter crashed. Now the article reads that the monument is already in place.

A permanent monument?

I'm sorry for your loss. Really I am.
You need to find closure, but I don't think we all need the constant reminder. The near half million dollar "improvement" does the trick.

Regarding the "upgrade" and monument: Is that what your daughter would have wanted? A reminder as to what happened on that corner...for all to see and think about whenever they try to enjoy what used to be a beautiful setting.

If she hadn't died that road would have stayed the same, someone had to die so changes could be made to that road and unfortunately it was my baby girl,
explains Alton.

Someone had to die so changes could be made to that road.
Why did the road need changing?
It didn't.

I'll never go to that spot and enjoy my quiet time there again.
Who do I thank for that?
Last edited by Graham Adder on Dec 11th, 2012, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Graham, that's harsh - I expected more compassion from you
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I edited Norma...as much as I feel driven to do.
You're right, I was being harsh.
Still am perhaps, but it's not my intent.
My intent is to voice my displeasure and opinion.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

You'll find another spot you like just as much - I know what a hiker you are :)
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

already have
had to
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

see? Knew you would. :) Zoe wags Hi btw.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

normaM wrote:Zoe wags Hi btw.

<pats Zoe's head>
smile
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »