Whats wrong with Kelowna transit?

smarty-pants

Re: Whats wrong with Kelowna transit?

Post by smarty-pants »

What i find disturbing is that we had 200 City bus drivers upset at this young man. They own homes , pay taxes, put there kids through collage. Yet we are so quick to take Nathans side. From my understanding he has been in trouble with the law for a long time himself. Yet we wonder why are kids have no respect for authority or us!
Sweetjjp

Post by Sweetjjp »

I even wrote the transit manager about a driver with a bad attitude - and the transit authority slipped up and gave driver my email complaint, and I received an anonymous threatening email from the driver - who then harassed me the next few days in front of other passengers.. well he's fired.

I personally don't believe that it was a slip up on their end. My son recently made a complaint about a driver being on his cell phone while driving. (Found out he was fired as it was not his first time, second or third time doing it. But in the end he was brought back to work).
Some how this got out (from higher up) that it was Nathan, "a slip" I guess u can say, but someone decided to air Nathans name over the radio to all the drivers. Since then a lot of the drivers have been harassing him, some with threats and swear words. They will refuse to let him on the bus saying that they don't feel safe with him on it and so on. They have even refused to start the bus until he gets off and then tell the other passengers that he is not going anywhere til he is off the bus. Embarrassing him in front of others. So what does this say, 'You make a complaint and not to worry as nobody will know it was you.' Yah right make a complaint against us and this is what happens.
I have personally sat down with one of the high ups who works at BC Transit and well was promised it would be worked on. They patted him on the back said good job I will give you a free Dec month pass for your troubles. Then he said' please don't feel like you can't come to us if you see anything else.'
Week and a bit later nothing has been worked out on their end. Still getting refused rides and the threats. He was told during this meeting to not record anymore. I told this person that we had met with, that if he keeps getting treated the same way he should. As it is his word against their word.
I then called this person last week to let him know nothing has changed. His response was "were working on it". To be honest if these grown men were to stop acting like their 2 and do their jobs it would all work out for everyone. And to be honest, if this was never leaked out to all the drivers as to who it was, this whole situation would not have gotten out to Castanet.
He rides the bus all the time as this is his means of transportation, he is known to the drivers as he would talk to them so they do know him by name.
I am not saying all of them are doing this, but there are some who are taking this a bit to far, and feel like they can use their power to punish someone for telling the truth. AKA people like AndyS on page one.
Such a lie when they say' please if there are any questions or concerns to contact us.' Sure contact them and they will give out your information and tell you that there was a slip up. I feel that if you make a complaint be prepared to be harassed.
SirEd69

Post by SirEd69 »

smarty-pants wrote:I talked with a driver this morning and this kid is challenging the drivers trying to provoke a incident! He is not this poor abused kid. The drivers have in the past tried to help him with free rides, money, and even cigarettes . One of the drivers even before this had a police file for harassment on this young man.

:ohmygod: REALLY ! I can tell you he has been on my bus and at no time has he provoked anything. If a Driver gives him free rides money cig thats up to them, How does that justify the treatment he is getting? does that mean a I can do anything when he is on my bus because I think I paid him off ? Come on smarty pants put the blame where it lies.

I know for a fact there were no issues prior to the video. The radical few drivers are just trying to discredit the young man. As for the last issue, I checked it, That was a unrelated personal rental issue and the driver is trying to bring that to light through this. Not Related. Best to stay with the facts.

Dont shoot the messanger, the fact is a driver was caught and in the wrong, Nathan happen to record it and forwarded the safety concern on. Period ! He should get an award, you never know he may have just saved your life ! .

As a Driver, I know what I can and can not do, I am professional, and I know the result if caught. I also know that if this was caught on camera by someone unknown this whole Circus wouldnt be going on. And If your a Rider, like you say, you would agree. And if your a rider and you recorded it, you wouldn't put up with the crap thats coming on Nathan. It doesnt matter if he is or isnt a troubled person, its not about him. He didnt make the driver do what he did.
smarty-pants

Post by smarty-pants »

As a Driver, I know what I can and can not do, I am professional, and I know the result if caught. I also know that if this was caught on camera by someone unknown this whole Circus wouldnt be going on. And If your a Rider, like you say, you would agree. And if your a rider and you recorded it, you wouldn't put up with the crap thats coming on Nathan. It doesnt matter if he is or isnt a troubled person, its not about him. He didnt make the driver do what he did.
SirEd69

You drive for Transit? Then ask Nathan was he told by the supervisor he would get him a job up North if he did this! This is common knowledge. Plus i think for myself and I don't agree thank you! This young man has had a long trouble past, and we are going to take him at face value? Put peoples jobs at stake on his creditably! I have a friend that says mess with the bull you get the horns!
rioghnacha
Board Meister

Post by rioghnacha »

Well smarty-pants, that sounds like a threat.
You work for transit?
I know this young man as well. comment removed by Trip
Lying and making stuff up will not win people to your side, it's kinda making you look desperate.
There are some good drivers and some bad drivers. A lot of the ones I met that did the glenrosa and peachland routes were the worst. Out of all the drivers my kids and I have met in the last 9 years I think there are only 3 that we haven't reported for being plain nasty and unprofessional. Not a good track record.
smarty-pants

Post by smarty-pants »

Deleted. Duplicate post. Trip
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

kdc001 wrote:I am a professional driver. I hold a BCDL Class 2 with 15 Endorsement. For those not familiar with the BCDL classes and endorsements, that means that I am trained and licenced to drive any bus with air brakes. The transit driver video recorded while using the cellphone will have the same licence and endorsement. I do not work for BC Transit, but I do drive buses on a regular basis.

It is illegal to use a hand held device while driving a vehicle in BC. Period. There are no exceptions. All drivers are expected to obey this law for the safety of themselves, the people in their vehicle, other drivers and their passengers and the general public. While all drivers are expected to obey these rules I believe that professional drivers can be expected to be held to a higher standard than the average motorist.

This driver was caught breaking the law red handed. He, and his union, need to admit it, suck it up and deal with it.

Further, they need to keep in mind that although they may try to ban the young fellow that took the video of the driver using the hand held device while driving for "safety concerns", they can't ban all youth that have cellphones with cameras from riding the bus. Rest assured, the young fellow has friends that ride the bus.

The transit drivers, transit management and their union will lose if they try to take on all of these kids. If these kids decide to try to "get" transit drivers that don't follow the rules, they will "get" them. The drivers will have to be constantly watching their backs.

Deal with the driver. His conduct was illegal and unprofessional. Leave the kid alone. Everyone will be better off for it.

:rate10:

I'm with you, if he was obeying the law he wouldn't be distracted!!
SirEd69

Post by SirEd69 »

Smarty pants, Sounds like you know them both, maybe you should ask them youself, I bet you wont for fear of the truth, but that sounds pretty ridicules considering Nathan is still in town. let me know what you find as fact not rumor created by others. Again dont try to shift the blame on the issue and sway public opinion based on stories or you may find your quite correct regarding those horns. I have to get back to work, let me know what you find out. If nathan gets on in next few days I will ask him to find my own conclusion.
For the record, he is more than welcome on my bus anytime, and I thank him for being so brave. I believe he has the right to ride. I wouldnt want to be held accountable for denying anyone against the Canadian Charter of Rights. Those horns will hurt.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It seems to me that the drivers are blaming the rider for their own shortcomings. If they did their job professionally as they should be they wouldn't have to worry about being on video. If they are worried about how they come across on video then maybe they should look for another job.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

So... 7 pages later... who's right who's wrong?
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"crookedmember"

Ken, as far as I know, the driver was using a bluetooth device, so what rules of the road was he breaking?

If someone followed you around with a video camera for a day, is it possible they'd catch *you* breaking some rules set by your employer?

I'm not the BUS driver.... and am I employeed?? Do you know me> I don't think you do. I actually pull over when my phone rings, or wait until stopped to answer the missed call. Do you?? :dyinglaughing:
1life2live

Post by 1life2live »

Are we getting the whole story or just the media spin. I am hearing rumors of personal differances between a manager and the driver. I am hearing rumor that the Manager used the kid to do his dirty work in trade for some whimmis training and a job up north. The fact is it is not illeagal to drive while using a hands free device. The media report says that the driver was terminated and then reinstated. Why is this? Either the allegations were untrue or it was a setup. I am sure we are not getting the whole truth only what the spin doctors want us to hear and I would include the young man's dad as one of those taking into account his bias.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bsuds wrote:It seems to me that the drivers are blaming the rider for their own shortcomings. If they did their job professionally as they should be they wouldn't have to worry about being on video. If they are worried about how they come across on video then maybe they should look for another job.

Or hire an agent, a make-up artist and a wardrobe girl ....
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

"crookedmember"

Ken, as far as I know, the driver was using a bluetooth device, so what rules of the road was he breaking?

If someone followed you around with a video camera for a day, is it possible they'd catch *you* breaking some rules set by your employer?

Ken7 wrote:I'm not the BUS driver.... and am I employeed?? Do you know me> I don't think you do. I actually pull over when my phone rings, or wait until stopped to answer the missed call. Do you?? :dyinglaughing:

Ken, it depends if it's my wife or my girlfriend calling. My point is we all break some rules and laws at some time, wouldn't you agree?
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"crookedmember"

Ken, it depends if it's my wife or my girlfriend calling. My point is we all break some rules and laws at some time, wouldn't you agree?

I think you have a point, but don't waste your time following me. You'll get *bleep* if you tailgate me as I travel the limits and stop for colored lights other then green.

Maybe your wife is .... no she's not!

Return to “Central Okanagan”