Plows ready to roll in West Kelowna

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Plows ready to roll in West Kelowna

Post by Catz »

Like I said in my PM...I live off of McIver...that and Webber were a joke this am at 0800.
Width of only 1.5 cars, getting buy, piles of snow snow left on the road where they just stop plowing. What they have is a truck with a plow basically. Webber and McIver are bus routes...I do NOT live on them but had to drive on them.

That was really not fair to say just relax.
I am not a priority and get that.
Not ONE person I talked to today was happy.
There was a 911 call at 0800 on Webber...the fire truck and ambulances had to par almost in the middle.

If you are going to pm me, ask me questions then tell me to settle down...not really a fair thing to do.

You have your opinion, fair enough.
If you are happy, fair enough.
Do NOT make me look like an idiot, though.

And from the lady at the district...the phone calls were non stop.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

gardengirl wrote:My road was not bad at all. I am up in Glenrosa. I headed into town around 11am and saw 3 truck working the area of Old Okanagan Hwy. All the streets down there were clear and the highway was fine.
Everybody thinks their street should get priority.
I say settle down and give these guys a chance.

Right on Garden girl! I don't think we could afford the taxes if the district were to attempt to deliver the level of service that people seem to be asking for here.

Lots of km's of road to cover, heavy snow, limited number of plows equals a losing battle while its snowing and time needed to catch up once it stops. Whattcha gonna do? Leave earlier, drive slower and expect your drive to be a little chaotic and than you won't be disappointed.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

argo had a plow...and plowed.
with what I say...um...no...

Just my opinion, and everyone I talked to except 1.

It is bad.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Right on Garden girl! I don't think we could afford the taxes if the district were to attempt to deliver the level of service that people seem to be asking for here.

Lots of km's of road to cover, heavy snow, limited number of plows equals a losing battle while its snowing and time needed to catch up once it stops. Whattcha gonna do? Leave earlier, drive slower and expect your drive to be a little chaotic and than you won't be disappointed.[/quote]

Some people already cant afford the taxes, No kidding though I dont know what people expect bare pavement every time a snowflake hits it, stay home if you dont have to go anywhere, walk your kids to school instead of driving 2 blocks, drive cautiously and slow until you get to the main street that is plowed!
D machine

Post by D machine »

I think that some recent posts have missed the point. The main roads - those designated as priority one by DWK are NOT being plowed and maintained anywhere near as well as they had been by ARGO. In my neighbourhood if you walked your kid to school this morning instead of driving, as another post suggested,you were putting yourself and your child at risk. The priority one road that goes to the school was a mess and there are no sidewalks so pedestrians must walk along the road. This is not about people's little cul de sacs not getting priority treatment.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Boucherie was nice :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Apparently they are ready to roll but aren't.... :127:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Ok did a Christmas light tour and the roads were better last year, we did get alot of snow quickly. It seems to be pretty packed on the roads and I did see the sidewalks covered a foot high from the plows, Argo was better, maybe this new one just needs to figure it out. Just go slow and drive for the conditions and it should melt away soon like our tax dollars!
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

We have lived on Webber road for 22 years and have not seen it as poorly maintained as it has been this year. I personally am equipped with a heavy four wheel drive so have not had a problem but........ I'm very concerned for children walking to Glenrosa elementary when the road has only one lane semi-plowed and is a skating rink for cars. Accident waiting to happen!

With Argo, this school bus, city bus, and sidewalk lacking road with pedestrian traffic was always one of the first to get done.
Glenrosa road not a wholle lot better!
Overall rating on the first week of the new contractors services......wait for it......F-
Metdet

Post by Metdet »

Trevor,

The Plows ready to roll in WK? I guess when the side walks are cleaned within 24 hrs it should not take the new WK contractor 72 hrs to plow the road. People were driving up my sidewalk to get up the hill because Friday Saturday and Sunday the hill was not plowed (only sanded). The District should be responsible too and respond within 24hrs. just like the citizens who shovel their sidewalks. It takes teamwork. A 3 ton dump truck with 2 tons of sand, sander and the plow cannot push snow up hill and scrape the road. We have a 12-14 degree grade and it is impossible for that truck to climb up the snow covered hill loaded with sand and plow to the road. He does not have the horsepower to do so. Heavy equipment class 5-7 trucks are required for the steep roads. I had a bit of a chuckle seeing a pickup truck sanding the WK roads too. I thought at first it was a neighbor just trying to help out but it is the new contractor. WK needs to be responsible and plow the steep hills as priority within 24 hrs. not 72 hrs after when the salt and sand has had a chance to melt most of it away. There is a reason why Argo trucks are so much bigger and powered accordingly.
MB
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Ha ha it seems that DWK are patting themselves on the back rather than mentioning all the complaints and then turning the tables on the residents and suggesting that they remember to clear their sidewalks outside where they live.

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... -residents
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

What happened to the Peachland plows??? Last year they'd be up and down my street by the time half a cm had accumulated. So far in today's snowfall there hasn't been anyone by and there is no way that most of the people on this street can get out! :ohmygod:

Later Edit: They've finally been by, but to do so after 8 am is a disgrace and represents an enormous comedown from last year's level of service. When Peachland changed snow plowing arrangements they should have sent a letter out that anyone on a steep road should buy a 4WD vehicle before winter. :200:
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

dodgerdodge wrote:Ha ha it seems that DWK are patting themselves on the back rather than mentioning all the complaints and then turning the tables on the residents and suggesting that they remember to clear their sidewalks outside where they live.

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... -residents

Good thing most roads in West Kelowna don't even have sidewalks. Are we supposed to clear that little dirt path next to the road? People walking on these "sidewalks" just end up walking on the road when the weather is like this, cause the sides never get plowed!!
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Driving down Webber today...yucky...half the road was done which was done. People were sliding everywhere.
Not so good on a bus route...Mc Ivere was ans is small lane. My house, not an issue as not on a bus route. Only saw one truck today. Just my opinion...
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

If the plows are ready to roll,,,, where are they?
We live on Smid Road,, just off Elliott, and have not seen a snowplow or sand truck..( Which we used to see.... up to this year on a regular basis - when the other roads where done first) and that is fine... but NOW the street is like a skating rink... so we have to appreciate the DWK and their wisdom !!!! on snowplowing..... I guess we wait for the snow/ice to melt ?????

Return to “Central Okanagan”