Kelowna has highest rate of domestic abuse cases in B.C.

joer2012
Fledgling

Re: Kelowna has highest rate of domestic abuse cases in B.C.

Post by joer2012 »

boardsweeper wrote:Not saying I trust it, I dont know if its even true, only asked if the sign remains. and im aware of the different forms of abuse. thanks. and im sure kelowna does NOT have the highest rate, not with the population it has anyways, vancouver has 500,000 people in it, no way kelowna out ranks vancouver.

I would think they are talking about percentage of incidence against population size. For comparative measurement.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

I would think they are talking about percentage of incidence against population size. For comparative measurement.

If thats the case, then yes, but it says BC, not bc communities.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm still puzzled why Kelowna be on top of the list.

If you would have read the article it pointed to two reasons:
    1) People spending too much time on Castanet forums, and refusing to cut back until they get a frying pan to the back of the head. (it's a proven fact that 100% of cases where someone complained about a headache on Castanet was suffering from the frying pan treatment)
    2) A relatively high percentage of men work out of town, and this puts incredible stress and strain on families.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Not saying that's the case, but it's also possible that crown counsel puts more emphasis on such things in this area.

I also recall an acquaintance in law enforcement mentioning, that there was much more pressure put on officers to deal with such cases, after that tragedy in Vernon, where I think 9 or 10 people were killed a number of years back, due to some sort of domestic situation.

I think even some laws were changed if I remember correctly, or perhaps someone else can recall.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

after that incident it was changed so that if a call came for a domestic police had to respond by entering and clearing the home . or something to that effect .

pretty much ensured that if u get so loud and beligerant that someone calls police u will be spending the night in a cell . seems pretty fair to me , but i know there r two sides to each story .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

On average a woman who is abused, will be physically assaulted 27 times before stepping out for help!

When you hear that, it makes you wonder although like a child who is sexually assaulted the accused makes the victim feel it's well deserved and it's their own fault.

Return to “Central Okanagan”