Snow removal in Kelowna

johanssen765

Snow removal in Kelowna

Post by johanssen765 »

I originally come from penticton so I guess I take things like snow removal done correctly for granted. I have never in my life seen such poor removal of snow from the roads as the system they have here in kelowna. Absolutely brutal. It's like whoever is in charge had no concept of what needs to be done. But it's not only the idiot in charge its also the drivers. On the rare chance that I happen to actually see a plow truck 4 of the 6 times that I've seen on in the last five years, the plow was up in the air. Kind of hard to plow the snow off the road if the blade doesn't touch the snow. And now I find the city using that slop to spray on the roads as well which is nothing but an oil slick to drive on until it actually snows and even then its a disgusting sloppy mess that never dries out even on a warmer sunny winter day. I don't know what's in that crap but in less that two seasons it ate the finish on my aluminum wheels pretty good and I'm not a huge fan of cleaning up the dogs puke after he cleans this crap of his feet when we get in from a walk. Anyways, the idiot in charge does it entirely backwards around here. He waits to send the drivers out until there's a good foot worth of snow on the roads to get the biggest bang for his buck but then it doesn't really matter when you send the trucks out if their blades are up in the air. Theyre pretty much just driving around collecting a paycheque. Either way, waiting for a foot to accumulate is a moron decision ask anyone. You want to remove it quickly and get some sand out there before the vehicles compact the snow into ice which you will never get off with a plow. At least if ther is a skiff of ice after you hit it early, the sand imbeds itself into the ice for traction instead of a skating rink. The city may as well sell off their plow trucks and use the money to buy everyone in the town a plastic snow shovel to tie to the front of their car. Sounds funny but the truth is that would do a helluva alot better of a job than these guys do around here. I dare anyone to defend the snow removal system they have here in kelowna. One trip to Icbc to have a look at the accident reports would shut them up in a heartbeat.
Last edited by johanssen765 on Dec 9th, 2012, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Snow removal in kelowna

Post by grammafreddy »

I highly recommend a trip to Spokane after a heavy snowfall for a true appreciation of how wonderful snow clearing is in Kelowna.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
johanssen765

Post by johanssen765 »

Comparing how bad Spokane sucks at removing their snow doesn't make these guys suck any less at it. The lesser of two evils is still evil.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

How much snow didya get that inconvenienced you so much? An inch?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

I always laugh when people complain about the snow removal here. Main roads are always pretty well kept. If you can't get off your residential street because of a little snow you have a few choices:

a. need winter wires.
b. need to hang up your keys for the winter.

I have never once had an issue with winter driving in Kelowna. Not even remotely close to one. We don't need to spend a bunch more money so that bad drivers can feel a little safer, nope, take the bus please.

And now I find the city using that slop to spray on the roads as well which is nothing but an oil slick to drive on until it actually snows and even then its a disgusting

Not that most of what you said isn't just hearsay anyways, I had to point out that "slop" is magnesium chloride or "de-icer" if you want to call it that. No, it doesn't freeze, and no, it doesn't make the road slippy because they drop 4 lines of it, spaced out, which spreads when the snow melts on contact.

Source: I have worked snow removal with my best friend in the past, and he still does it. Maybe you should go outside at night and witness the work being done while everyone is asleep, it may surprise you.
Last edited by StraitTalk on Dec 9th, 2012, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Deleted by Trip
Last edited by joer2012 on Dec 9th, 2012, 11:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Uhhhhh, there is very little snow right now. Really, what is the panic? This is nothing compared to what other regions get.

Planning and preparedness, learn these skills.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

johanssen765 wrote:Mearly bringing it to everyone's attention that the job they do here sucks.

Apparently you are incorrect. They do OK, and drivers could do much better. And complain much less.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

[quote="deleted.Trip[/quote]
for the amount of snow kelowna gets every year, it is laughable that snow removal is even being discussed in the forums. i have lived in the north, snow clearing was brutal, especially on residential streets....but then again, snow accumulation on a weekly/daily basis is huge in comparison to what kelowna/the okanagan gets.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

:coffeecanuck: we get a skiff of snow and the complaints are out already.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

I'd have to agree. As I said, I've never had a problem, even back when my family lived atop Knox Mountain, we always got up safely.

I was nearly ran off the road by a semi last winter in about the harshest conditions imaginable, but winter tires helped me keep the car in control, and I am willing to bet most of the accidents occurring during the winter are caused by drivers without said winter tires, and drivers who simply shouldn't be driving in the winter.

Granted, every winter my street turns into an icy hell because snow removal cant always get here in time, but does anyone have a problem? Nope... This is Canada after all, maybe some of us should try to live up to the stereotypes rather than pretend, as someone else mentioned, that this is Phoenix.

I'm about to leave for work, and there is... a light dusting. Better put on my chains, right?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If all your driving is on valley bottom then a set of all seasons with good amount of tread.
Is all that is needed, but if this turns out to be one of those rare years of more than normal snowfalls then winter tires are advised.

That said, just having winter tires is only half the answer the other half is having common sense in driving skills.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

StraitTalk wrote:I always laugh when people complain about the snow removal here. Main roads are always pretty well kept.

I would normally agree. This morning was pretty bad though. It was a skating rink out there, even on the main arteries (KLO, Benvoulin, even 97). Saw a car on my way in to town that had hit a telephone pole - that was around 10:30 or Gordon and that road is usually at least sanded by that time. Guess they weren't expecting snow today. Or is a new contractor doing the plowing this year?
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

It would be interesting to see how some of you would get around when there is a 8 inches of fresh wind blown snow on the roads.

Reality is, if you have never lived where there is winter, you might think snow removal here is just great. They really do not have a clue.

I love it when we get the larger dumps, funny to watch people drive!
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

8 inches of fresh snow Actually provides fairly good traction

But a inch of snow That is compacted in an intersection that is not sanded

That's what dangerous.
Last edited by diggerdick on Dec 9th, 2012, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-

Return to “Central Okanagan”