Snow removal in Kelowna

797hauler
Fledgling

Re: Snow removal in Kelowna

Post by 797hauler »

IMO, the city should only go out if theres more then an inch for parking lots and two inches for road ways or if theres extreme ice. As a rule I held and most business owners I dealt with agreed. One inch is when A plow should be out for the lot. and the city does the road way, however I did the occasional entrance from a road if it was two inches or more and I plowed 40 businesses in kelowna/ west kelowna. never had a problem or complaint against myself or my business, or my clients businesses.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

erazmus wrote:Hmmm, drove to work this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find my residential street was sanded! Within 24 ours of the snowfall. This is the first time I can recall our low-priority street ever getting attention so quickly.

LOL
I live on a residential street in the downtown area. Yesterday afternoon about 3pm a truck with its blade down plowed the east side of my street. This surprised me as after sweeping my walk I realized the accumulation wasn't that great but I thought "Good on the City" for a change.
It's now 10am the following day and the west side remains untouched as far as any snow removal goes. The approach to the intersections on the west side are all now glare ice.
So much for any kudos I was going to give the City for snow removal and sanding on the first snowfall. Hopefully they'll do better next time.
Last edited by cv23 on Dec 10th, 2012, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The dang city STILL hasnt plowed my street, and its melted already. :dyinglaughing:
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Snow removal in kelowna

Post by Steve-O »

motorhomebabe wrote:I think those SUVS and trucks think they are invicncible in 4 wheel :dyinglaughing:

Reminds me of a news article on one of the channels in Calgary in which they were interviewing a police officer about the winter driving conditions and he mentioned that a 4 wheel drive vehicle may start off better but we all have 4 wheel brakes so don't let better traction getting going give you over confidence.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Snow removal in kelowna

Post by Glacier »

blackpowder wrote:Good winter tires and leave 30 minutes early!

Good winter tires = don't have to leave early (typically). Today, I took my other vehicle to work that lacks the good winter tires, and thus I drove below the speed limit much of the way.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

Gee I wish the city wasted a bunch of diesel fuel and sand fixing up the roads before they melted and dried up today.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Ok ... s-reported

Interesting to see the comments from "an officer at one crash scene" it said and i quote "An officer at one crash scene on McCulloch Road in East Kelowna hinted the city could have done a better job clearing the road Sunday"
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

The driver of the wreck likely could have done a better job keeping his/her vehicle in one piece too.

Thousands of folks on the roads 25 or 26 crashes, I don't think the roads are the problem.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I would also take just a wild guess that tires were not the real cause, most likely speed and no attention to task at hand!

:skyisfalling: :bump: :bump: :nutzoid: :135:
blackpowder

Post by blackpowder »

dlarrivee wrote:The driver of the wreck likely could have done a better job keeping his/her vehicle in one piece too.

Thousands of folks on the roads 25 or 26 crashes, I don't think the roads are the problem.

Yes very true.
KENDRABUG

Post by KENDRABUG »

My residential road has been ice for the past two days, and now with another snowfall currently happening I don't see any progress being made anytime soon. Would have liked a sand truck at least. It's a semi-busy road, not off in the wilderness.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

http://www.onspot.com/indhisfr.htm

Awhile ago I saw these on a firetruck in Kelowna.
Coolest damm thing I`ve seen in years.
Youtube has some great videos of drop down chains.
Glacier do you have a set of these?
Last edited by featfan on Dec 19th, 2012, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

(OP)>>Buy winter tires and stop whining about snow removal or head south and complain about the lack of shade!
Sure do love Rutland!!
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

featfan wrote:http://www.onspot.com/indhisfr.htm

Awhile ago I saw these on a firetruck in Kelowna.
Coolest damm thing I`ve seen in years.
Youtube has some great videos of drop down chains.
Glacier do you have a set of these?

Unfortunately very expensive and not very effective.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

phasyluck wrote:(OP)>>Buy winter tires and stop whining about snow removal or head south and complain about the lack of shade!

Winter tires still don't do much on "ICE". If your offering a all expensive paid trip down south I promise I won't complain about the lack of shade. I hate winter but was born a Canadian.

Return to “Central Okanagan”