Who was a better mayor?

bigchef
Fledgling

Re: Who was a better mayor?

Post by bigchef »

Well, our downtown core still looks like crap and doesn't attract a lot in the way of shoppers/diners etc. So, I'd say neither. Get some people in there with some cajunas and get some things done!
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

EdCase wrote:My concern if that Wally and the rest of the FourChange gang were promoted as being able to 'get Kelowna moving again' by 'being open for business'. What radical new directions have they put forward in their first year? None.

This community is stagnating and needs fresh new thinking to revitalize itself. It's not a question as to who is the better Mayor but what is Wally going to do to deliver on his promises?

Kelowna is "closed for business".

Nobody of any importance/connections wants jobs, industry, and the mess that goes with that. Keep Kelowna looking pretty, don't want any business sprawl ruining the real estate prices. lol.

Retail, service, tourism, low paying seasonal work. All good. Keep the development and real estate dollars in the good ol' boys books.

Yep - Kelowna is closed for business.

Industry will not some here - too many entitled unreliable stoned whiners with a poor work ethic, no market, expensive operating costs, etc.

No entrepreneur is going to start up a decent sized business with any long term growth potential here. There is no market and most skilled professional have left, or are leaving, town. I know a bunch of techie people who went to Silicon Valley. The Silicon Vineyard is a joke - the same old Kelowna media schmoozers and the wine/golf club crowd using government funding and employment initiatives to make something look like it is useful and viable.

One thing Kelowna has in abundance is grow-ops. Lots of knowledge and experience, market connections, and generally socially accepted in the community (at all levels, right to the very top). Get on that, create legit well paid jobs for all the old school indoor farmers and errand boys and clipper chicks. Force the hand of the big boys to share their big old profits. Tax the hass out of it with business taxes, permits and legal fees. Because in all seriousness Kelowna has nothing else going for it.

Beaches, lakes, and small hills do not make an economy or create jobs.

And these mayors you speak of, they know nothing about real life. Day dreamers, just like 95% of politicians who wouldn't know a days work if it hit them on the head.

Loserville, BC.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

joer2012 wrote:
Kelowna is "closed for business".

Nobody of any importance/connections wants jobs, industry, and the mess that goes with that. Keep Kelowna looking pretty, don't want any business sprawl ruining the real estate prices. lol.

Retail, service, tourism, low paying seasonal work. All good. Keep the development and real estate dollars in the good ol' boys books.

Yep - Kelowna is closed for business.

Industry will not some here - too many entitled unreliable stoned whiners with a poor work ethic, no market, expensive operating costs, etc.

No entrepreneur is going to start up a decent sized business with any long term growth potential here. There is no market and most skilled professional have left, or are leaving, town. I know a bunch of techie people who went to Silicon Valley. The Silicon Vineyard is a joke - the same old Kelowna media schmoozers and the wine/golf club crowd using government funding and employment initiatives to make something look like it is useful and viable.

One thing Kelowna has in abundance is grow-ops. Lots of knowledge and experience, market connections, and generally socially accepted in the community (at all levels, right to the very top). Get on that, create legit well paid jobs for all the old school indoor farmers and errand boys and clipper chicks. Force the hand of the big boys to share their big old profits. Tax the hass out of it with business taxes, permits and legal fees. Because in all seriousness Kelowna has nothing else going for it.

Beaches, lakes, and small hills do not make an economy or create jobs.

And these mayors you speak of, they know nothing about real life. Day dreamers, just like 95% of politicians who wouldn't know a days work if it hit them on the head.

Loserville, BC.

So when are you moving? Clearly Kelowna has nothing for you so it must be time for you to pick up and make a new plan. What I've learned in life is that most people who complain, are just complainers, and complain about everything and everyone. They don't anything to help themselves, they rather stand with their hand out, their attitude rampant, and just spew out of every orifice they have to make a point that no one cares about or agrees with. As for the mayor(s), you probably don't know either of them personally so really can't say what kind of daydreamer they are. I read a lot more fantasy in your post then I've heard from either our previous or current mayor. But thanks for coming out. I think I will go skate in Stuart Park along the lake shore of Okanagan lake. Can't say that about any other place . . . on earth.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Done plenty to help myself, and no need of any handouts or favours, especially from anyone in Kelowna.

Skating, lol sounds like a typical Kelowna pass time instead of getting a decent job and working hard. Instead of being a BC welfare bum.
AB oil patch worker
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

joer2012 wrote:Done plenty to help myself, and no need of any handouts or favours, especially from anyone in Kelowna.

Skating, lol sounds like a typical Kelowna pass time instead of getting a decent job and working hard. Instead of being a BC welfare bum.

Now this is just what whiners do. They make generalized sensational rants masked as opinion and hardship. You're implying I don't have a job or I am a welfare bum because I appreciate the skating rink? Rather, I am happy the community in which I own a home, raised my children , spent my life has the fortitude to provide such a great experience as the skating rink. The only ones laughing out loud are those reading your comments. Like I suggest, seems like time to move for you, or maybe go for a skate, it's free.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Mtn Biker wrote:Now this is just what whiners do. They make generalized sensational rants masked as opinion and hardship. You're implying I don't have a job or I am a welfare bum because I appreciate the skating rink? Rather, I am happy the community in which I own a home, raised my children , spent my life has the fortitude to provide such a great experience as the skating rink. The only ones laughing out loud are those reading your comments. Like I suggest, seems like time to move for you, or maybe go for a skate, it's free.

I don't need or want a skating rink. Much more important things in life than skating rinks and beaches.

You come across all smug. Typical Kelowna.
AB oil patch worker
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

joer2012 wrote:
I don't need or want a skating rink. Much more important things in life than skating rinks and beaches.

You come across all smug. Typical Kelowna.

Maybe, but you come across all entitled, typical of those who think Kelowna needs to be something it's not. Like I keep saying, if you don't like it leave, because all your whining won't change anything. What you don't like, is exactly what makes Kelowna great. We've heard all the belly aching from AB types before. I see you like to play here, so why would you complain about beaches? It's a lake side community, what else do you expect Kelowna to promote? Well enough of this because clearly your opinion is to slight Kelowna because it doesn't meet with your ideas. So be it. But it does for 100K other people, so it can't be that bad and you can always go back to AB.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Mtn Biker wrote:Maybe, but you come across all entitled, typical of those who think Kelowna needs to be something it's not. Like I keep saying, if you don't like it leave, because all your whining won't change anything. What you don't like, is exactly what makes Kelowna great. We've heard all the belly aching from AB types before. I see you like to play here, so why would you complain about beaches? It's a lake side community, what else do you expect Kelowna to promote? Well enough of this because clearly your opinion is to slight Kelowna because it doesn't meet with your ideas. So be it. But it does for 100K other people, so it can't be that bad and you can always go back to AB.

Entitled, to what, exactly?

Whining - since when has having an opinion become whining? Only in Kelowna, I guess.

I want nothing from Kelowna. What I have done and achieved has been without help or assistance from anyone in Kelowna.

At least I am not smug, and as a realist I believe the centre of the universe is not little old Kelowna BC and skating and spolied lazy drunk stoned Okanagan prima donnas and third rate wine. Meh.
AB oil patch worker
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

joer2012 wrote:
Entitled, to what, exactly?

Whining - since when has having an opinion become whining? Only in Kelowna, I guess.

I want nothing from Kelowna. What I have done and achieved has been without help or assistance from anyone in Kelowna.

At least I am not smug, and as a realist I believe the centre of the universe is not little old Kelowna BC and skating and spolied lazy drunk stoned Okanagan prima donnas and third rate wine. Meh.

Wow, not smug but maybe a little bitter? Back on track, Shepherd was the better mayor. Had you been around during her years maybe you wouldn't be so bitter and annoyed with Kelowna. It's only a city, an inanimate object, it can't affect you if you don't let it. Sorry to hear she's gotten under your skin. Maybe then AB is the better location for you. With snow in July, no beaches, redneck drunk stoners instead of lazy, and no wine to speak of, would be a good fit for your rosy outlook. Have you considered Airdrie or Stoney Plain? I hear there a no beaches or lazy people there and you can even buy wine in a 5l jug for those days your shooting mosquitoes with your bb gun. No that sounds like fun. Not, I will keep my sunshine, beaches, and skating rink thanks. Have a better day.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

The better mayor is always the one who used to be! Same with premiers and prime ministers!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

James H. Stuart July 1, 2001

Born and raised in Kelowna James (Jim) Stuart has dedicated more than 31 years of his life to help make the community a better place.

First elected to public office in 1967 Jim served on the Board of the Regional District of Central Okanagan for 29 years including 15 years as Chairman. In 1973 Jim embarked on a 23-year career in municipal politics when elected to the City of Kelowna Council. In 1986 Jim successfully ran for Mayor, a position he held until 1996.

Renowned for his stringent financial management and willingness to listen to all concerned citizens, Jim successfully nurtured the growth of Kelowna from a small town of the 1970’s to a vibrant and dynamic city of the 1990’s. Dedicated to Kelowna’s economic, social and environment well being Jim created a strong foundation for today’s growth and prosperity.

Committed to excellence in health care Jim served on the Central Okanagan Regional Hospital Board for 29 years and the Kelowna General Hospital Board for 11 years.

While Jim was extensively involved in local affairs, he also played a significant role provincially. He was an executive member of the Municipal Finance Authority for 17 years, of which 12 were as chairman. He was also appointed to the B.C. Transit Authority for five years and served a one-year appointment to the Financial Institutions Commission.

As an active member of the tree fruit industry, Jim was a director of the Fruit Growers Mutual Insurance Company and served on the Board of Directors of B.C. Tree Fruits and Sun-Rype Products Ltd.

In recognition of Jim’s dedication to the community the City of Kelowna named a new waterfront park in his honour in 1996. Stuart Park will be developed in future years.

Jim is married with three children.
Peace be with you.
Ari Gold
Board Meister

Post by Ari Gold »

joer2012 wrote:At least I am not smug, and as a realist I believe the centre of the universe is not little old Kelowna BC and skating and spolied lazy drunk stoned Okanagan prima donnas and third rate wine. Meh.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I agree that industry is lacking in Kelowna. But if you think the wines produced in the Okanagan are 3rd rate, you're way off. This region has possibly one of the best grape growing conditions in the world, particularly in Oliver/Naramata/Osoyoos.

Perfect, nutrient rich, easily drained soils...fresh water and air. Not too cold in the winter (when vines are hybernating)

In the growing season, the Okanagan gets more sunlight and has higher average temps than Napa, which is critical for big red varietals.

Even the wine makers have come from France, California, Australia, etc...

Only problem is there's not enough suitable land to grow grapes, so BC is limited in production volume
bigchef
Fledgling

Post by bigchef »

This thread sure took a sharp left!
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Okanagan; very good overpriced wine.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Walter still calls an area of Kelowna, "Hootervile"
and tells really bad Will Rogers jokes about women, publicly.
He lives in his growing up years-1950s?

Sharon is much more current and connected to the people.
She does not get testy with those who diagree with her and maintains her dignity.
She should run again, with a slate of candidates.

Return to “Central Okanagan”