Who was a better mayor?

797hauler
Fledgling

Re: Who was a better mayor?

Post by 797hauler »

Could there be another new hotel for the Kelowna marketplace? Of course there could and if another development group from Alberta decide to go ahead it will be for sure, thus adding another major banner to the market. This would be considered a lakefront hotel/resort with a great view.

I thought one was going up at or near the bluffs? I also heard near the pier? or has that been scrapped? or was it just a rumor?
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

Sharon would be my pick. I found her to be much more honest about her intentions and willing to admit her mistakes. Gray on the other hand is an arogant know it all who wouldn't admit the error of his ways if you begged him. Under his previous terms I felt like the average citizen just didn't matter to Gray. With Shepherd I felt like she always gave us a voice and listened to our opinions. I felt that she respected her community. Whereas I feel that Walt continues to look down upon the average citizen and continues to knock elbow with the good old boys. It feels as though he is only interested in doing whats right for Kelownas wealthy. You can't just show up for a photo op to show your support for your citizens. You really have to work hard to help make a better community and I just don't feel like Walt does that.

No council is perfect and as GF said, you can't just expect to change mayors and have everything run by a different method. You still have the same, or close to the same, council and they are the group that together make the decisions.
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Dick Parkinson
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Could there be another new hotel for the Kelowna marketplace? Of course there could and if another development group from Alberta decide to go ahead it will be for sure, thus adding another major banner to the market. This would be considered a lakefront hotel/resort with a great view.

boardsweeper wrote:I thought one was going up at or near the bluffs? I also heard near the pier? or has that been scrapped? or was it just a rumor?

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page3980.aspx
Downtown Public Pierpublic_pier and Marina
In the spring, City Council awarded the design, construction, operation and maintenance of the Queensway Marina to Westcorp Properties Inc.

The public pier and marina will be located off the shore of Kerry Park which will include:

- A public pier, over six metres wide, extending 150 metres out into Okanagan Lake
- Moorage slips for approximately 68 boats, including 27 for hourly and day-use moorage, 30 for temporary overnight moorage and 11 for rental boat moorage
- A boat and watercraft rental business and marine fuelling station, operated by Eldorado Marina
- The existing commercial tour boats will be relocated from the foot of Bernard Avenue to a new and improved facility at the foot of Queensway Avenue

A public open house was held Saturday, June 23 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Kerry Park. To view the plans, visit Westcorp Properties website.http://www.westcorp.net/downtown-kelowna.php

Westcorp estimates the capital cost of the project at $4 million with the City contributing $200,000.

Partnering with the private sector for this project as a viable means to provide a much-desired public amenity in a cost-effective manner.

The company will also derive revenue from running the boat moorage, pier and marina for 15 years.

Provincial and federal approvals are in process. Subject to these approvals, the pier and marina will open in 2013.

Andrew Gibbs
Manager, Park and Public Space Projects
[email protected]
250-469-8836

Following Westcorp's link ...

Downtown Kelowna
Downtown Marina Project

After participating in a formal RFP process in early 2012, Westcorp was formally awarded the Downtown Marina project on March 26th, 2012. With an expectation to be open for business in the summer of 2013, work will immediately proceed with public consultation, refinement of the design, permitting and construction. With a proposed hotel planned just steps away from the new marina's location, Westcorp has a significant vested interest in seeing a high quality piece of infrastructure added to the waterfront. Westcorp is thrilled and excited to be a participant in the evolution of downtown Kelowna and trust that the new marina will be a wonderful amenity for both boaters and pedestrians alike. According to the terms of the RFP, Westcorp will own and operate the marina for a minimum of 15 years.

Marina Open House

If you would like to provide feedback on the Downtown Marina concept, please send your comments to [email protected]

Downtown Boutique Hotel PROJECT

Westcorp's Kelowna downtown redevelopment site (the former Willow Inn site) is located between Water St. and Okanagan Lake, one of the last key waterfront properties remaining in Kelowna's downtown. Located adjacent to both Kerry Park and Stuart Park, the site is very important visually, and is ideally located to integrate with Kelowna's waterfront park plan and boardwalk. With easy access to all downtown amenities and unobstructed lake views from the property, this site is extremely well suited for hotel, commercial and residential uses, and it is Westcorp's intention to pursue a vibrant mixed used development at this location.

Over the last few years, the City of Kelowna has worked through planning and approval processes for a new Downtown Plan. Plans for the old Willow Inn site formalized the expectation of a new hotel at this location (up to 19 storeys), and Westcorp is now currently working on the hotel's preliminary design.

If you would like more information regarding this, or other Kelowna development proposals, please contact Gail Temple at [email protected]. As conceptual plans are created and posted on our website, we would also appreciate any feedback you wish to provide.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

Rwede wrote:Christmas Tree Pete.

twofingers wrote:Dick Parkinson

Definitely!!!
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Mtn Biker wrote:Really, so you think it's ok for a current council to overturn the decisions of a previous council in terms of governance and covenants made with the forefathers of the city? They are agreements made in perpetuity . . you do know this right? And you think the manner of attack style politics employed by the Gray camp has a place in civil elections? If you answer yes to either, than you deserve Wally world and all the chaos to follow. I happen to agree with the Simpson Covenant and what it stands for and so should you, or everything historical and meaningful can easily be replaced . . . maybe some day in a manner that does affect you. I'd take one Shepherd over 100 Grays every single time.

It was Mrs Shepherd that was messing with the Simpson covenant. Then there was the Pandosy merchants that got screwed over with the NOW Canada thing, the City almost got sued over that one. I think she may have personally had good intentions, but I think she is not a particularly smart person. She made some really questionable decisions. I also really hated that "girly" thing she would do when dealing with men. I saw it first hand, it was an embarrassment.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

gardengirl wrote:It was Mrs Shepherd that was messing with the Simpson covenant. Then there was the Pandosy merchants that got screwed over with the NOW Canada thing, the City almost got sued over that one. I think she may have personally had good intentions, but I think she is not a particularly smart person. She made some really questionable decisions. I also really hated that "girly" thing she would do when dealing with men. I saw it first hand, it was an embarrassment.

You can correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sharon voice her opposition and vote against what happened with the covenant but was put into a "cohesive team player" position when council's majority voted for it? As mayor, she was obligated to be the "voice of council" when projects were announced and was hardly in a position to state her own personal opinion after council voted. Sometimes being mayor is a really rotten job when you have to go against how you really feel about something and be the team voice to the public and the media.

As far as the "girly thing" ... I'd rather have that than the "look-down-your-nose-and-screw-what-the-people-want" attitude of a lot of people on council now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

It's funny how people get ideas in their head or heard rumors that somehow become fact to them. I'm pretty sure GF is correct, Sharon was pretty vocal about wanting to uphold the Simpson covenant. In fact from my perspective she was one of the most upstanding mayors I've ever seen (in any city). As has been stated, a mayor is only one vote on council. Many of the council members then (and some that are still Councillors today - think 4 change) were behind many of the things most people consider bad decisions. The sad part is that the population was duped into believing the opposite by one of the most despicable campaigns I've ever witnessed.

As for intelligence, sorry GG, Sharon is incredibly intelligent. Have you ever met or talked to her? I have. And, BTW, I'm a guy and there was no "girly thing". She was down to earth, respectful and seemed pretty genuine to me. No doubt certain electronic business owners, et al, did not like a mayor who forced accountability. I wonder if she cut into profits of side deals? Don't know but she made enemies out of some less than above board business men in this town (yes men).

I know one thing to be true. Most people don't have a clue what was or wasn't accomplished by their mayor and council. I've witnessed this first hand. I challenge you all to actually look for yourself (watch some old council meetings - don't believe the propaganda spread by the 4 change and Walter Gray campaigns).

I suspect you know who I would vote for....
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

gardengirl wrote:It was Mrs Shepherd that was messing with the Simpson covenant. Then there was the Pandosy merchants that got screwed over with the NOW Canada thing, the City almost got sued over that one. I think she may have personally had good intentions, but I think she is not a particularly smart person. She made some really questionable decisions. I also really hated that "girly" thing she would do when dealing with men. I saw it first hand, it was an embarrassment.

Get a little education on your facts regarding the Simpson covenant . . it was Councilwoman Shepherd that through the wrench into then mayor Gray's plans for that property and it became one of the key reasons Wally lost his seat. As for NOW, again a bunch of uppity Mission socialites through wrenches into that one, which is where the law suits originated, but now that it's all said and done, you don't hear any complaining do you?? Not a particularly smart person . . have you actually met her . . got any examples? I doubt it or you wouldn't make such an uneducated comment. The only thing questionable is to use a word like "girly" when referring to Shepherd . . . nothing girly about her, tom-boy maybe, but again, it's clear from your post that your referring to your person opinion about her without any real knowledge or facts, because it's very unlikely you have ever met her.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

a wholesale change is needed....I mean

All new everybody...

and ones that are not supported from 4change....seems shady and seems like 4 change seems like 4 saythesame!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Short answer. Yes I have met Mrs. Shepherd. Yes I have had dealings with her. I stand by my opinion.
She spent a lot of time trying to be liked. She kissed a lot of buts. I guess that was very effective for some people as is evidenced by the comments here. If she told you what you wanted to hear, that makes her good does it?"
I had less than positive experiences with her from the time when she was on council and when she was mayor. She was not nearly as knowledgeable as some people here seem to think she was. Over a period of years, I was witness to several "directives" from her office which were either totally off the mark, or totally inappropriate for her to comment on as they were not within her authority.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

gardengirl wrote:Short answer. Yes I have met Mrs. Shepherd. Yes I have had dealings with her. I stand by my opinion.
She spent a lot of time trying to be liked. She kissed a lot of buts. I guess that was very effective for some people as is evidenced by the comments here. If she told you what you wanted to hear, that makes her good does it?"
I had less than positive experiences with her from the time when she was on council and when she was mayor. She was not nearly as knowledgeable as some people here seem to think she was. Over a period of years, I was witness to several "directives" from her office which were either totally off the mark, or totally inappropriate for her to comment on as they were not within her authority.

I would say my experiences with her were the opposite to yours and had nothing to do with being told what I wanted to hear. So it's fair to say we have our differing opinions of her simple as that.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

WALLY , WALLY , WALLY !!!

Yeah ....I voted for him ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Its simple, Gray has no time for the little people like us. Sharon always had time for the little people like us. Rest my case.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

John500 wrote:Its simple, Gray has no time for the little people like us. Sharon always had time for the little people like us. Rest my case.

Does this make or break a mayors performance, though? I do think the general population's sentiments do matter when deciding on paths forward, but at some point, there is a line between "considering the people's input" and "listening to people long after it stopped being effective".

Return to “Central Okanagan”