Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Who was a better mayor?

Post by fall »

Who could be a better mayor next?
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

gardengirl wrote:Short answer. Yes I have met Mrs. Shepherd. Yes I have had dealings with her. I stand by my opinion.
She spent a lot of time trying to be liked. She kissed a lot of buts. I guess that was very effective for some people as is evidenced by the comments here. If she told you what you wanted to hear, that makes her good does it?"
I had less than positive experiences with her from the time when she was on council and when she was mayor. She was not nearly as knowledgeable as some people here seem to think she was. Over a period of years, I was witness to several "directives" from her office which were either totally off the mark, or totally inappropriate for her to comment on as they were not within her authority.

Wow, you have met her. I can line up 500 people who have met her and worked with her and not one of them will share your opinion, just like no one else on here does. What I am waiting to see is a retraction regarding the Simpson Covenant statement you made, because you were way off the mark on that comment as has been stated and shown by others following this thread. Given how inaccurate your comments in that regard were, it doesn't bode well for the rest of your argument. I just read sour grapes and that's fine, no one here says you have to like her. But let's not confuse the difference between not getting your way and dressing down Shepherd as you are, because she is nothing like you report.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

All I have is an observation, Walter was mayor , then sharon.... the majority of voters wanted walter back.

If the majority of voters wanted walter back you have your answer who most people think is the better mayor.

Unless of course you voted for wally and wished you picked sharon,,,,,thats a whole different question
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

cutter7 wrote:All I have is an observation, Walter was mayor , then sharon.... the majority of voters wanted walter back.

If the majority of voters wanted walter back you have your answer who most people think is the better mayor.

Unless of course you voted for wally and wished you picked sharon,,,,,thats a whole different question

That's very true. However, given the margin of victory was less than 1% or less than 400 votes, I'd say it was a fifty-fifty split. A recount could have been asked for and was not as Shepherd had just completed 15 years on council and simply had enough. An unofficial audit of the process was completed and revealed many irregularities that cast a dark shadow on the whole election for both camps. These will be addressed and corrected in time for the next election. Either way we're stuck with Wally and it's up to us to keep him on task. It's our city and we have a say on how it's shaped now and in the future.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:Short answer. Yes I have met Mrs. Shepherd. Yes I have had dealings with her. I stand by my opinion.
She spent a lot of time trying to be liked. She kissed a lot of buts. I guess that was very effective for some people as is evidenced by the comments here. If she told you what you wanted to hear, that makes her good does it?"
I had less than positive experiences with her from the time when she was on council and when she was mayor. She was not nearly as knowledgeable as some people here seem to think she was. Over a period of years, I was witness to several "directives" from her office which were either totally off the mark, or totally inappropriate for her to comment on as they were not within her authority.

Mtn Biker wrote:Wow, you have met her. I can line up 500 people who have met her and worked with her and not one of them will share your opinion, just like no one else on here does. What I am waiting to see is a retraction regarding the Simpson Covenant statement you made, because you were way off the mark on that comment as has been stated and shown by others following this thread. Given how inaccurate your comments in that regard were, it doesn't bode well for the rest of your argument. I just read sour grapes and that's fine, no one here says you have to like her. But let's not confuse the difference between not getting your way and dressing down Shepherd as you are, because she is nothing like you report.

You are entitled to your opinion, as are the "500" other people. None of you has had the same experiences I have had with her.
As I said, there have been a number of times, over a number of years, in which I have had direct contact with the Mayor's office and have had "directives" sent by Mrs Shepherd. I have received calls and emails from her office. Each time, the contact was regarding something which is not under the City's control.

Were you working on some of her pet projects with her? If so, I am sure your experience was all warm and fuzzy.

She was involved with the Simpson covenant and I never heard her speak against what the council was doing. Someone else here said she was being a "team player". Of course, she was a puppet, always wanting to make everybody happy. Whatever the council decided, she would go along with. Leader or follower? Hmmm.

Also; you conveniently neglect to comment on the Pandosy Merchants debacle.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

gardengirl wrote:She was involved with the Simpson covenant and I never heard her speak against what the council was doing. Someone else here said she was being a "team player". Of course, she was a puppet, always wanting to make everybody happy. Whatever the council decided, she would go along with. Leader or follower? Hmmm.

Actually Sharon voted against a legal challenge of the Simpson Covenant. The majority of Council voted for it so as Mayor and spokeperson Sharon had to go along. Any mayor has to "go along" with what the majority of Council decides as the mayor is just one vote.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

... and the Pandosy Merchants?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

gardengirl wrote:... and the Pandosy Merchants?

Refresh my memory, please?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

gardengirl wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/47616/South-Pandosy-merchants-suing-city

http://www.kelowna.com/2009/06/18/try-r ... merchants/

http://www.kelowna.com/2009/07/30/pando ... grinds-on/

Have you read the links?
Please show where Sheppard acted on her own, not as Mayor and therefore spokesman for Council and its decisions.

If such an occurrence happened today Wally should do the same thing as Sheppard but knowing the classless media hound he is rather than doing his job he'd use the occasion as yet another platform to further his own adjenda
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Thanks, GG. How'd that all end up?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Well. The building went up, the parking was lost.
The merchants got screwed.
I am guessing they looked at the costs of going to court and figured the city would have deeper pockets.
Last edited by gardengirl on Dec 11th, 2012, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

gardengirl wrote:Well. The building went up, the parking was lost.
The merchants got screwed.
I am guessing they looked at the costs of going to court and figured the city would have deeper pockets.

Describe how merchant's got screwed? The parking spaces were replaced and like I said, how many are b-otching about it now?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

gardengirl wrote:I am guessing they looked at the costs of going to court and figured the city would have deeper pockets.

Or maybe a compromise was worked out?
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

You are entitled to your opinion, as are the "500" other people. None of you has had the same experiences I have had with her.
As I said, there have been a number of times, over a number of years, in which I have had direct contact with the Mayor's office and have had "directives" sent by Mrs Shepherd. I have received calls and emails from her office. Each time, the contact was regarding something which is not under the City's control.

Were you working on some of her pet projects with her? If so, I am sure your experience was all warm and fuzzy.

She was involved with the Simpson covenant and I never heard her speak against what the council was doing. Someone else here said she was being a "team player". Of course, she was a puppet, always wanting to make everybody happy. Whatever the council decided, she would go along with. Leader or follower? Hmmm.

Also; you conveniently neglect to comment on the Pandosy Merchants debacle.

I have not had the same experience as you. I know 500 other people who have not had the same experiences as you. So maybe the issue lies with you and not Shepherd? She seems to be well liked by everyone who can see Wally for who he is and see her for what she did. Hmm, just maybe your issues with her you would have with anyone, female or male. Again, maybe it's just you. I say this because you're descriptions of her are very far removed from my experiences and those of 500 more.

Return to “Central Okanagan”