Dull development moving forward

theyeti
Übergod

Re: Dull development moving forward

Post by theyeti »

lol this is true captain way over priced i wanna get a building but its just out of reach rite now
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

John500 wrote:Agree. Much better place for skycrapers then downtown.

Skyscrapers are for downtowns...

Every big city downtown has skyskrapers and left the outskirts for low lying stipmalls and residential... we would be backwards...skyskraper next to your house to save the downtown area...Skyskrapers bring people to the area.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Imagine if the Landmark buildings were built downtown. How much busier the stores would be down there.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Funny thing though, the rates for commercial space isn't dropping. Still expensive as hell...

The taxes on commercial properties are crazy - $25000.00 per year for a 10000 sqft building at springfield and spall . For a sewer hook up and a road ???? And then the hoops you have to jump through to satisfy the city ,with every new tenant.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

John500 wrote:Agree. Much better place for skycrapers then downtown.

Symbonite wrote:
Skyscrapers are for downtowns...

Every big city downtown has skyskrapers and left the outskirts for low lying stipmalls and residential... we would be backwards...skyskraper next to your house to save the downtown area...Skyskrapers bring people to the area.

I don't mind if Kelowna is "backwards". I think skyscrapers can be anywhere (except on our lakeshore). I like the Landmark buildings where they are and wouldn't mind seeing more like them in other pockets of the city as residential/commercial/recreational complexes. The days of trying to move people into downtown cores for work (the daily commute) are history. The trend now is to create live-work-play areas within the suburbs that were created in the past rather than creating more suburbs and more freeways/highways/commuter routes and the expense of maintaining and servicing those routes.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

That corner would be a perfect place for the city to build a velodrome and maybe even a bicycle museum!

and probably cheaper than fixing up bernard home sense style
Peace be with you.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Symbonite wrote:Skyscrapers are for downtowns...

Kelowna won't have skyscrapers in the downtown core for many years - if ever - along Lawrence and Leon especially.

Even though the zoning allows for higher buildings (up to 26 storeys on certain parcels) http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDF ... rocess.pdf developers are forced to build lower because taller buildings need bigger footprints - and the land in that area has many small land owners who are not willing to sell out to the big development companies.

Here's an example - this building is going up on the parking lot at 285 Lawrence behind the heritage firehall. It is zoned for up to 26 stories. The lot doesn't allow for that height.

285-Lawrence.jpg

There was another new building announced for Leon not that long ago - same thing - they had zoning allowing for up to 26 storeys but the building that is going there is only 3, I think.

And ... FWIW ... prior to the new downtown plan, any lot in the downtown core could have been built up to 20 storeys - and none did. The exception to that is the "24" project on Bernard - and it is a no-go because they can't presell enough units to make it financially viable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Seeing that MOH won't likely allow direst access off 97 ( and maybe not off 33 either) anything that goes in there will definitely face accessability issues.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

what do u suggest cv 23 u seem to have some knowledge about civic issues , I like what the company put forward i think that is about what ought to go there . can the market support it ? not sure thats why maybe a city building could go there ???

as for access this is an open question .. why r there no service roads in kelowna ??? nearly anywhere else u go they have service lanes running along side the hi way . that way the local traffic does not have to deal with hi way traffic. this would do wonders for our harvey avenue. now u can call enterprise a service road if u like but i am hard pressed to think of anything else resembling one around here . westbank has one near the best western that runs for about 90 feet away from all the businesses ?!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

theyeti wrote: can the market support it ? not sure thats why maybe a city building could go there ???

Why on earth would, or should the City buy this property? Why would anyone even suggest such a ludicrous idea?
Do we need it? No. Is it the City's mandate to buy commercial property without a specific public purpose in mind? No
This suggestion is almost as asinine as the one someone made to build a floating velodrome in Kelowna :dyinglaughing:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

This suggestion is almost as asinine as ne someone made to build a floating velodrome in Kelowna

i suggested it be built in lake okanagan but it sank right after the flying velodrome was shot down in flames .i was only making that suggestion to show what a really crazy idea looked like compared to moderately crazy one.
'the road to enlightenment is lightening up'-buddhist monk Leonard Cohen
Peace be with you.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

city r the ones who dont like the idea put forward let them do something better if they know so much
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

There is frontage road on HWY 97, south side, just east of Spall Rd..runs up to Barlee, or Ambrosi.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

ok i forgot about that 200 ft of access by the m and m meats there u r rite . i would like to see that all along both sides of the hwy . that would allow lots of exits to go to businesses but at the same time they could kill a few lights on harvey and stop the bottlenecks in the summer
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

theyeti wrote:city r the ones who dont like the idea put forward let them do something better if they know so much

Is that what our city hall does?

Return to “Central Okanagan”