Dull development moving forward

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Dull development moving forward

Post by kibbs »

I have raised my children and assisted with the raising of theirs. I am done with that age group, I am tired, I just want to live in peace and quiet. I have paid my dues and my taxes and I have earned what I have today. Let THAT generation do what they want in a town/city that is more willing to accept the responsibility of cleaning up the mess. I am done cleaning dirty diapers.

This town is too good for that .I want my kids to stay here not driven out by boredom.Id gladly change my grandkids diapers so long as i didn't have to go to Vancouver to do it .I recommend Summerland for a peaceful place to retire .Its one big nap fest all year long.
Peace be with you.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Summerland today is what Kelowna was when I moved here. Why should I have to continually move away from the _____________? Why can't I stay and all others that don't like it, find someplace that they do?
let them build and develop to suit their needs and desires instead of wrecking what I built for myself?

They want to take all the good stuff that we have built, destroy what they don't agree with and re-build whatever they desire. Guess what? "They" got one big fight to win before they are even allowed to play in the same league.

WE have OUR roots firmly set into the ground. WE have more money, power and influence than a bunch of upstarts could ever hope to obtain. WE have taken this little town and turned it into a city that others can only dream of being able to afford. WE have done this with thought and careful planning.

YOU can try. YOU can complain. BUT, YOU will have to wait YOUR turn and earn YOUR place to afford to live here and drive US out. YES we have monthly meetings, they are held in a secret location and are by invitation only. YOU will NEVER be allowed in, without a full crop of "cottontop". OR a membership card in good standing, if you are of the female persuasion. (AND YES, you will be checked for your credentials at the door.)

I have said enough for this posting and I digress.....greatly. Good luck in finding a location to plant you dream seeds. Obtaining a bountiful crop, requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Don't expect that a successful farmer will just walk away from a fruitful crop.
I bid you luck in finding your own personal piece of fertile ground.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Summerland today is what Kelowna was when I moved here. Why should I have to continually move away from the _____________? Why can't I stay and all others that don't like it, find someplace that they do?
let them build and develop to suit their needs and desires instead of wrecking what I built for myself?

They want to take all the good stuff that we have built, destroy what they don't agree with and re-build whatever they desire. Guess what? "They" got one big fight to win before they are even allowed to play in the same league.

WE have OUR roots firmly set into the ground. WE have more money, power and influence than a bunch of upstarts could ever hope to obtain. WE have taken this little town and turned it into a city that others can only dream of being able to afford. WE have done this with thought and careful planning.

YOU can try. YOU can complain. BUT, YOU will have to wait YOUR turn and earn YOUR place to afford to live here and drive US out. YES we have monthly meetings, they are held in a secret location and are by invitation only. YOU will NEVER be allowed in, without a full crop of "cottontop". OR a membership card in good standing, if you are of the female persuasion. (AND YES, you will be checked for your credentials at the door.)

I have said enough for this posting and I digress.....greatly. Good luck in finding a location to plant you dream seeds. Obtaining a bountiful crop, requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Don't expect that a successful farmer will just walk away from a fruitful crop.
I bid you luck in finding your own personal piece of fertile ground.

??????

Back OT, a drive thru seems like it would be a pain in that location.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Summerland today is what Kelowna was when I moved here. Why should I have to continually move

death taxes and change they are guaranteed ,change is good,
Peace be with you.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:WE have OUR roots firmly set into the ground. WE have more money, power and influence than a bunch of upstarts could ever hope to obtain. WE have taken this little town and turned it into a city that others can only dream of being able to afford. WE have done this with thought and careful planning.

Yes you sure made a great hand of Harvey Avenue and the mess that is downtown - decrepit, infested with bums and crackheads. Uncontrolled development run wild and entire mountain sides raped bare, horrendous eyesores for everyone to see for miles around.

Congratulations.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

WE have taken this little town and turned it into a city that others can only dream of being able to afford

if you mean to afford to live in you are correct .shame
Peace be with you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

joer2012 wrote:
Yes you sure made a great hand of Harvey Avenue and the mess that is downtown - decrepit, infested with bums and crackheads. Uncontrolled development run wild and entire mountain sides raped bare, horrendous eyesores for everyone to see for miles around.

Congratulations.

This from an Oil Patch worker...talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

joer2012 wrote:Yes you sure made a great hand of Harvey Avenue and the mess that is downtown - decrepit, infested with bums and crackheads. Uncontrolled development run wild and entire mountain sides raped bare, horrendous eyesores for everyone to see for miles around.

Congratulations.

All done by the generation that came after I was already here. I wonder why I, and others like me, want the development to stop?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:we are at war with every town in bc for tourists.

No we are not at war with anyone for tourists in the summer. Kelowna is full during the summer, just try and get a hotel room or a dinner reservation most nights in July or August. Kelowna is a city now not some little backwoods tourist trap. We may need more things for our youth to do but attracting lowlifes from around the Northwest on summer weekends to set bad examples for our kids is not in anyway helping. Regatta was a family event and when the young trouble makers felt like they weren't. or didn't want to be, included in the events they rioted and destroyed the event for eveyone

kibbs wrote:lets just plan it better next time better security and a volunteer clean up crew for after.

Clear;y you have no idea how these festivals work. The City does not put on these festival. The event is put on by private individuals and done so purely for financial profit. The organizers are supposed to do the planning and should be responsible for all security issues their event causes both on and off the event grounds. The organizers can not provide the necessary increased off site security their event may cause that becomes the duty of the RCMP, who we as taxpayers pay for. Increased RCMP presence to protect the community from "collateral damage" cost money so the City passes those costs along to to event organizer. In the case of wakefest this was a cost the event organizers were becoming less and less enthused about paying because it was cutting into their profits and for them profit was all that mattered.
Just why should volunteers clean up the city after pigs trash it. The event organizer only cares about making profit not providing a service or benefit to our community. They'll put on their event in any town gullible enough to have them. Again in the case of wakefest and based on experience the City proposed and increased clean up cost so we taxpayers were not left with a filthy mess and be on the financial hook to clean up the mess these pigs have left behind. Again such costs cut onto the promoters profits so rather than stand up and take responsibility for the damage/mess their for profit event caused they went looking for another more gullable community to take advantage of.

As far as the development at the corner of 97 & 33 is concerned the City has not quashed the present proposal and will likely not be able to do so. All they have said that it is dull and boring and they would like to see auch a high profile location have something with more style. The City can not really tell someone what to build on the persons own private property as long as the proposal meets the zoning and bylaws. All that Council can do is have some limited input on the projects visual impact. If a youth orientated development was profitable there would be hundreds of them in this entrepenurialistic city but sadly the present generation feels such a sense of self-entitlement that all they do is take take take for me me me or kill, smash, destroy which leaves little or no room for profit hence the lack of such facilities.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Bsuds wrote:This from an Oil Patch worker...talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

The oil patch is what it is, it doesn't claim to be something it's not. Work, industry and money. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Kelowna is all hyped up and over rated, past its best and the reality is there for all to see. Falling real estate prices, foreclosures, an exodus of youth, no jobs or career prospects for trades or professionals. Hell, you can't even give away a house in Kelowna right now. A city of mean cotton tops and people wondering what they're going to do now they're saddled with a $3k mortgage and $100k in LOC and credit card debit.
AB oil patch worker
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

off topic/trip
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

This project is obviously green stamped and it would seem most agree that is just another unneeded boring thing. That we need things in kelowna that would keep youth in town and not offend our senior population .I suggested a new pc gaming place to replace the 3 that failed due to mismanagement.not for a lack of want.what else wouldn't be so boring ?
Peace be with you.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

The "unneeded" things in Kelowna is more youth. The ones that spray paint every flat surface within sight, the drunks and the druggies that also want to enjoy/share our natural good weather. The wet-behind-the-ears drivers that drive too fast and too loud, then complain about those us that just want to drive the maximum speed limits, quietly and go about our business of shopping or going to the hospital or Doctor.
We came here because of the peace and quiet and to escape the trials and tribulations of big city life, now the young want to force us out so that they can take over what we have built for ourselves.
We are now forced to live behind locked gates and be segregated with others of our own age group, where we have some sense of security and freedom.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:The "unneeded" things in Kelowna is more youth. The ones that spray paint every flat surface within sight, the drunks and the druggies that also want to enjoy/share our natural good weather. The wet-behind-the-ears drivers that drive too fast and too loud, then complain about those us that just want to drive the maximum speed limits, quietly and go about our business of shopping or going to the hospital or Doctor.
We came here because of the peace and quiet and to escape the trials and tribulations of big city life, now the young want to force us out so that they can take over what we have built for ourselves.
We are now forced to live behind locked gates and be segregated with others of our own age group, where we have some sense of security and freedom.

You have it all wrong, on numerous points, skewed to your old age viewpoint and supposed "wisdom" of the years.

I'm not exactly "young", yet I recognize that Kelowna needs various demographics to enrich it and make a more sustainable society. It needs young professional families, couples, singles, parents with kids and teens who will settle and continue to add to the economy. However, I think there is a large group of people, in the older/upscale demographic, that really wants to shut Kelowna down and turn it into one massive cottontop housing development.

As a retirement community, it is just not sustainable. What a dull, miserable place it will be in a few years time. All these deadheaded mouthbreathers clogging everywhere up, no life or energy left in them, all tired of life. Gawd, the horror.

You perhaps forget that some of these drivers have places to be, not dawdle around town with nothing better to do that try to remember which chores they need to do today. Some are on time off and want to cram as much into their downtime as possible. Heck some may even work a job to get by, for which time is money and you need to just git'er did. For your age, you really fail to understand the wider society you live in.

Nobody need live behind locked gates and security systems in Kelowna - it is not in the least a scary, dangerous place to live. If you think that, you've not seen much of the world out there. I have a vision of you peeping through the drapes, jumping at each and every sound. Pathetic. You'd think we were talking about Kabul, not Kelowna.

And pray tell how did you "build" this for yourself? You bought in, just like every other Joe Schmoe. Laid down dollars and paid the sunshine tax like everyone else. Now some young "upstarts" want a slice, you're getting all uptight? Only in Kelowna.....really, it's quite pathetic.
AB oil patch worker
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

joer2012 wrote:Gawd, the horror.

That made me laugh. Hard.

As to the rest of your post - couldn't agree more. Same goes for your previous one.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient

Return to “Central Okanagan”