Man tasered after fighting with RCMP officers

FreeRights
Guru

Re: Man tasered after fighting with RCMP officers

Post by FreeRights »

JoePlanner wrote:At first blush it seemed an appropriate use of the tazer, but then I did notice the mention of a drug transaction. Given that taser deaths tend to be associated with those who are in a frenzied state (e.g. drugged, heart condition, and/or having anxiety/mental break - think Mr. Robert D at YVR) it does make me wonder if the tazer's use was appropriate. It seems that any implication of drugs at all should mean a switch to the baton and hand-to-hand rather than tazer. Better a few broken teeth and bruising than a stopped heart. All in all a fairly restrained response on the part of the officers, however.

It does make me wonder... how are police supposed to "see" a heart condition? It's worrying, and makes me wonder if the tazer is really ever appropriate. *shrug*

A taser is deployed for the safety of the officer and the suspect, but I do not believe that a suspect's condition plays a role in the Use of Force continuum (nor should it). A taser is deployed often because it is unsafe for the officers to go hands-on with a suspect, so I think the burden should be on the suspect to not resist if they have preexisting conditions.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

ouch.

All posts 100% moderator approved!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Oh great another police episode in Kelowna, something to go on about for a few years!
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

zzontar wrote:
I'm in agreement with it being a good time to use a taser, although according to the story, the taser would have been ineffective because the probes didn't break the skin. I'm wondering why you're wondering... whatcha fishing for TM?

Not fishing for anything...just wanted to know what the gen pub feels about it.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Yep here we go again. Won't be long before we're hearing how the police screwed the pooch and should have clubbed him and wrestled Sumo style. Or perhaps they should have lured him with candy and flowers. A prolific offender, known to be dangerous was arrested without any innocent bystander being hurt. If anything the police out themselves at more risk than needed all because of the myriad of armchair police chiefs second guessing their every move. Personally I'm quite tired of praising the criminals while scolding those who look to protect me and mine. Next time just shoot the *bleep* and save us all the cost of putting up with this crap.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

nextimeround wrote:Yep here we go again. Won't be long before we're hearing how the police screwed the pooch and should have clubbed him and wrestled Sumo style. Or perhaps they should have lured him with candy and flowers. A prolific offender, known to be dangerous was arrested without any innocent bystander being hurt. If anything the police out themselves at more risk than needed all because of the myriad of armchair police chiefs second guessing their every move. Personally I'm quite tired of praising the criminals while scolding those who look to protect me and mine. Next time just shoot the *bleep* and save us all the cost of putting up with this crap.

Uh yea? the op asked for peoples opinions , I could have predicted your response too but nobody wants to read peoples predictions on what other people might think.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Personally , I don't think they should have tasered him. He is a perfect candidate for several 9mm slugs though. This would undoubtedly save an innocent life somewhere in the future.

Sorry for my lack of sympathy for "prolific offenders "
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

Perfectly appropriate use for a Taser if ever there was one.

Good on the boys for showing such restraint... musta been hard to resist the temptation to.... oh never mind.

Can't say I'd have been so, er, gracious.

Some people are just pi$$ in the gene pool.
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

My thoughts on this...damn lucky I'm not a cop and wasn't there. I would have shot him. Another waste of skin will be back on the street next week.
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

It would be interesting to hear the suspects version of the incident , I don't buy the police version.

I'm not saying this guy isn't criminal and didn't deserve to be tasered , I just know from experience police reports often resemble a fairy tale more than the truth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

here we go again with your cop bashing again,give it up already
WE KNOW YOU HATE COPS
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

cutter7 wrote:It would be interesting to hear the suspects version of the incident , I don't buy the police version.

I'm sure he could convince you of all kinds of things. He seems like the kind of guy who's word you can trust, doesn't he?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

One article says the police followed him until he safely away from heavier traffic. Smart. That makes total sense as long as they don't lose him in the process.

If ever a taser was warranted, this was it. To bad though that it wasn't a phaser which could have accidentally been moved from stun to vaporize.

I agree to with a couple of the more pragmatic respondents though. A couple of 9mm slugs to the vacuous space between his ears and voila! No more proliferation. Or better yet, procreation.

Nice job on the police though. No fault here. Maybe too much restraint.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Sometimes you gotta taze a dude.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

the truth wrote:here we go again with your cop bashing again,give it up already
WE KNOW YOU HATE COPS

Cant do it. I don't hold authority as the the truth .. you find honesty as cop bashing?

Return to “Central Okanagan”