Man tasered after fighting with RCMP officers

Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Man tasered after fighting with RCMP officers

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are about this.

http://www.am1150.ca/News/Local/story.aspx?ID=1839242

Wendy McLeod
12/11/2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kelowna RCMP had to taser a prolific offender after he rammed into a police cruiser and tried to fight members.
The incident happened around 8:45PM Monday night when plainclothes officers observed that man make an apparent drug transaction in the downtown, then try to pick up a sex trade worker.
Officers followed the 39 year old man who began driving erratically, nearly causing multiple collisions after speeding through red lights and blowing stop signs.
Constable Kris Clark says the suspect then led police on a chase.
"At the end of the flight, he ended up getting stuck in an orchard. He rammed one of the unmarked police vehicles and side-swiped another and proceeded to fight with several members."
A total of three unmarked cruisers were damaged. Officers then had to taser the man in order to subdue him.
"He received medical attention for minor injuries received during the arrest. From my understanding the probes that were deployed from the conducted energy weapon didn't even break the skin."
The man will appear in court on Tuesday and faces a long list of charges including possession of a controlled substance and assaulting a peace officer.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Man tasered after fighting with RCMP officers

Post by Sn0man »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:Kelowna RCMP had to taser a prolific offender after he rammed into a police cruiser and tried to fight members.
The incident happened around 8:45PM Monday night when plainclothes officers observed that man make an apparent drug transaction in the downtown, then try to pick up a sex trade worker.
Officers followed the 39 year old man who began driving erratically, nearly causing multiple collisions after speeding through red lights and blowing stop signs.
Constable Kris Clark says the suspect then led police on a chase.
"At the end of the flight, he ended up getting stuck in an orchard. He rammed one of the unmarked police vehicles and side-swiped another and proceeded to fight with several members."
A total of three unmarked cruisers were damaged. Officers then had to taser the man in order to subdue him.
"He received medical attention for minor injuries received during the arrest. From my understanding the probes that were deployed from the conducted energy weapon didn't even break the skin."
The man will appear in court on Tuesday and faces a long list of charges including possession of a controlled substance and assaulting a peace officer.

Sounds like exactly the kind of situation the taser was designed for.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Sounds like he need it..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Sounds like he need it..

LOL, Sounds like someone I know, and yes he needs it
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

First, I'd like to apologize for my actions last night.
Second, I think I had it coming and I doubt you guys will catch any grief over this.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Sounds like a text book example of why Tasers are a good option for members.

Assuming that the members did not feel their lives being immediately threatened therefore negating the need for lethal force, prior to Tasers being available, the members would have had to go hand to hand or asp/baton to body to subdue this person. The person would have likely received injuries as a result, and the members could easily have been injured as well.

Thank you for providing an excellent example of why our police have Tasers.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:Just wondering what everyones thoughts are about this.

I'm in agreement with it being a good time to use a taser, although according to the story, the taser would have been ineffective because the probes didn't break the skin. I'm wondering why you're wondering... whatcha fishing for TM?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

zzontar wrote:I'm in agreement with it being a good time to use a taser, although according to the story, the taser would have been ineffective because the probes didn't break the skin.

The probes do not need to break the skin to deliver a shock.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Works for me.

Question ... if someone has a heavy winter coat on, would a taser make any impact if it hit the coat? Does the taser have to make contact with skin to be effective?

And noooooooooo ... I do NOT want a personal demonstration to find out.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

All in agreement here. If anything I'd say the officers showed great restraint. After all the suspect did ram their vehicles with his. If not for a Taser the police would have had to put themselves in even more danger. I believe one of the officers was injured any way.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

grammafreddy wrote:Works for me.

Question ... if someone has a heavy winter coat on, would a taser make any impact if it hit the coat? Does the taser have to make contact with skin to be effective?

And noooooooooo ... I do NOT want a personal demonstration to find out.

I believe this is correct GF. The probes need to both connect with the skin.
JoePlanner
Fledgling

Post by JoePlanner »

At first blush it seemed an appropriate use of the tazer, but then I did notice the mention of a drug transaction. Given that taser deaths tend to be associated with those who are in a frenzied state (e.g. drugged, heart condition, and/or having anxiety/mental break - think Mr. Robert D at YVR) it does make me wonder if the tazer's use was appropriate. It seems that any implication of drugs at all should mean a switch to the baton and hand-to-hand rather than tazer. Better a few broken teeth and bruising than a stopped heart. All in all a fairly restrained response on the part of the officers, however.

It does make me wonder... how are police supposed to "see" a heart condition? It's worrying, and makes me wonder if the tazer is really ever appropriate. *shrug*
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Castanet posted a story about this yesterday as well:
Flight, fight no delight
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I just heard a rumour that the cops made the guy stand in a puddle before they tasered him. Can anyone confirm?
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Troy wrote:Castanet posted a story about this yesterday as well:
Flight, fight no delight

Is it properly edited?
If it's "typical" of the source, I'll save my eyes for the other reads.

Return to “Central Okanagan”