WFN rights

weatherloach

WFN rights

Post by weatherloach »

Why is it that first nations have a school of their own that they fought for yet they still school their children at non-wfn schools....but other ethnic groups are not allowed to go to the wfn school?
gjohns87

Re: WFN rights

Post by gjohns87 »

I imagine it is along the same lines as any other private school. They have the right to decide who attends, whereas a public school is just that..public.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

gjohns87 wrote:I imagine it is along the same lines as any other private school. They have the right to decide who attends, whereas a public school is just that..public.

Pretty well anyone has the chance to send their kid to a private school if they have the money. The same doesn't apply to the WFN school so it's not comparable.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

why does it matter ?? did u plan on sending your white kids to the native school ??
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

theyeti wrote:why does it matter ?? did u plan on sending your white kids to the native school ??

Do you think that you could have a school that forbids WFN members because you think none would want to go there?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

why would i want to exclude wfn ?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

theyeti wrote:why would i want to exclude wfn ?

I'm not saying you would, but even you did, it wouldn't happen. Why does WFN want to exclude everyone else?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

im taking a shot in the dark here but i would guess they see it like this ... we pay for that school its on our land we do it for our kids to learn our ways . if they want to . the reason they dont want others to come in is probably cost related . tell u what i would like to learn some of the natives ways be nice to get bye without alot of the stuff i have now
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

I actually might know the answer, and its "WFN and other first nation bands all over dont want to incorporate, the "the white man" as they are not first nation members. And First nation members are exempt from alot of federal laws.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

theyeti wrote:im taking a shot in the dark here but i would guess they see it like this ... we pay for that school its on our land we do it for our kids to learn our ways . if they want to . the reason they dont want others to come in is probably cost related . tell u what i would like to learn some of the natives ways be nice to get bye without alot of the stuff i have now

do they really teach the kids the old ways at these schools. ?????? these kids seem just as white as the rest of us. they watch the same tv shows wear the same clothing, shop at the same stores. drive the same cars,etc,etc,does anyone really think and beleive that young native kids these days want to spend two weeks in the bush,one in a million maybe
hell are white ancesters also lived off the land at one time,we are more alike than different .and thats a good thing..
Last edited by the truth on Dec 15th, 2012, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Yep, comes down to greed, money, power etc, etc.
Get used to different peoples of this country getting further apart than ever becoming one great nation. Its the way of the future. All for me.....
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Does anyone have a link to back up this claim?

But IF this is actually the case, it would likely have to do with the fact that on-reserve education dollars are funded by the federal government and only for First Nations children. That means any non-First Nations student including Metis, and non-Status would not be funded, therefore they would have to pay the entire tuition without any subsidy from a government body.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I think it's time to teach the children we are all the same.

Stop the separate schools for First Nations. Have optional classes where you can select from grade 6 onward if you choose on taking Native Cultural studies. Open to any ethnic group.

This as it currently is in my opinion draws a deeper line in the sand called RACISM.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Across B.C., more than 100 schools are run by First Nations. In addition to providing quality instruction and nurturing environments for children, these band schools emphasize and promote First Nations cultures and languages. They also work to reflect the values and traditions of the communities they serve.

First Nations schools are required to meet the same learning outcomes as regular B.C. public schools. But they do not necessarily use the same textbooks or programs. They also strongly emphasize parent and community involvement in the school.
http://www.learnnowbc.ca/Parent_Informa ... hools.aspx

The First Nations Schools Association is dedicated to serving the approximately 130 First Nations community schools in British Columbia. It is an independent, non-profit society and charity directed by representatives of those schools.
http://www.fnsa.ca/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Without funding from the government and money from stores that wouldn't exist if not for the vast majority of patrons being non-WFN, they probably wouldn't even be able to build their own school. I couldn't see it going over well if a white store-owner made his living from WFN citizens and used the profits to build a facility which excludes those citizens.

Return to “Central Okanagan”