Regional Districts Proposal Could Save Diesel.

Triple 6

Re: Regional Districts Proposal Could Save Diesel.

Post by Triple 6 »

So happy for Diesel. The RDCO should be ashamed that they have kept this animal locked up for 23 months. Disgusting.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Doubly ashamed if they don't prohibit Dave from future pet ownership.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

In all reality, could they do that? I kind of don't think so....not legally. I would think that he, although maybe a jacka**, has not shown that he is cruel depending, of course, on one's idea of what cruel means. He fought for his dog....right or wrong...but I don't believe that is sufficient to prohibit him from owning pets. IMO If that is the case, I am doubly happy I don't live in RDCO's jurisdiction.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

kgcayenne wrote:Doubly ashamed if they don't prohibit Dave from future pet ownership.

People can change. Learn. Maybe this will be a wake up call for Dave. I think he has dogs now.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

juz516 wrote:In all reality, could they do that? I kind of don't think so....not legally. I would think that he, although maybe a jacka**, has not shown that he is cruel depending, of course, on one's idea of what cruel means. He fought for his dog....right or wrong...but I don't believe that is sufficient to prohibit him from owning pets. IMO If that is the case, I am doubly happy I don't live in RDCO's jurisdiction.

I doubt they can.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

totally agree, Triple6....totally.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Regional District Chief Administrative Officer Paul Macklem says he is pleased with the ruling because it saves Diesel and is consistent with the RDCO's previous position that protects the public and places ‘Diesel’ in a new home with a responsible owner.

"This judgment is absolutely in line with what we requested and we stand united with all those people in our community and beyond who wanted a new life for Diesel.”

lol That last sentence kills me. They, IMO only, are a joke.....but, regardless, I am so happy for Diesel.
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

Seven more days for Diesel to be in doggy prison. I am glad he is going to go to a new home.

If you know anyone who would be responsible and a good home for Diesel, outside the Regional District, please get them to contact the RDCO, and get them to do it within the next seven days...

On another note, the changes in the RDCO animal control department are "underway" according to Paul Macklem. They are looking for a consultant to help them get started on the changes. From a friend of mine in Calgary, she tells me that Bill Bruce, the person who came up with the Calgary model and got it working, is available for hire. How wonderful that would be to have him lead the way. He's been through it all, and knows ways to make things efficient. If any of you have contacts with the RDCO, do let them know.

The RDCO has a long way to go with regard to public trust in the Animal Control department.

if they don't want this situation to ever happen again...

There are some solid questions in my mind as to the leadership provided in that department, which I perceive now (after giving a very generous benefit of doubt) to be very disrespectful to their clients.

I went in to that meeting with Paul Macklem at the beginning of January with a very open and objective and Hopeful stance. I thought I was getting the same back, but when I challenged some statements he and an employee made, he closed the rank and only defended the employee. So what I got out of that was that I have to be objective and fair when addressing my concerns to the RDCO, but he does not have to respond in kind. Disappointing, and eye opening. No. Disappointing is too soft a word for it.

Yes I have documents to back that claim up, and am happy to share them if you would like to see them. Contact me via pm.

Let's hope that Diesel goes to a really good new home.

And remember, RDCO, the eyes of the world will be on you. Rescuers talk to each other, and sometimes they whisper if there is a gag order, but rest assured, any news of Diesel's destruction will reach public ears somehow... then there will be no escape from the condemnations......
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

The reason Diesel is not going back to Dave Smith....

Smith v. Central Okanagan (Regional District) Page 25

There are two options in the matter at hand.

One is to order the dog returned to Mr. Smith under various conditions, such as fencing his yard and never permitting the dog to be at large otherwise than on a leash. I am not persuaded that making such an order would adequately protect the public. I agree with the trial judge’s conclusion that Mr. Smith has shown himself to be both unreliable and profoundly irresponsible in his care and control of Diesel. His assurances that he will now do that which any reasonable person would have done long ago are an insufficient basis on which to rest the public’s safety. Further, a conditional order that involved Diesel being returned to Mr. Smith would require the Regional District to continue to deal with Mr. Smith in relation to Diesel. He has shown himself to be singularly uncooperative and unreasonable in his dealings with the Regional District’s staff to this point, and there is no reason to think that will change.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Deisel Decision Made

Post by Treblehook »

I could not find the thread where the cost of Deisel's detention and court battle was stated a couple or so months back. At any rate, someone suggested at that time that Dave should be responsible for paying all of the costs relating to this issue. I wonder if we the taxpayers are going to be on the hook for over $100,000.00 If that is the case, it seems the perfect circumstance to fit the statement...."you can't fix stupid".
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Deisel Decision Made

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maxwall

Re: Deisel Decision Made

Post by maxwall »

No money for health care
No money for education
No money for Penticton hospital
No money for Crossroads
No money for special needs kids
Etc Etc Etc
But thousands and thousands For a mut called Diesel
I am deeply offended that my tax dollers are being spent like this.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

Yay Diesel!

If I didn't already have 2 dogs, I'd go snatch him up! Someone will have a good home for him. I'm so happy for him!!!!!
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

Triple 6 wrote:So happy for Diesel. The RDCO should be ashamed that they have kept this animal locked up for 23 months. Disgusting.

I'm sorry Trip, but how dare you put any kind of shame on the RDCO for this. They didn't have any choice here. Both judges have agreed that this owner cannot control Diesel. Add to that the fact that Diesel's owner was unwilling to work out an arrangement that Diesel could be sent to live with another owner. The only legal option the RDCO had was to keep him in a controlled facility until it made its way through the courts. Throughout that process, the RDCO offered compromises which would have the dog placed with other owners but the current owner wouldn't agree to it. How dare you fault the district for this. They had no other legal options. The fault here lies with the irresponsible owner who could not care for Diesel, could not control Diesel, refused to allow him to go to someone who could, and forced the RDCO to go through the legal routes they went through to get to the same result. Mr. Smith's actions here have been despicable, and the RDCO did what they could to deal with those actions. I say good on them for doing what they could to care for this dog along the way!
sammym

Post by sammym »

Triple 6 wrote:So happy for Diesel. The RDCO should be ashamed that they have kept this animal locked up for 23 months. Disgusting.

While I agree that poor Diesel being locked up for so long is disgusting, I can't blame the RDCO. And to help you understand me, I will tell you that I despise the mentality that the RDCO has regarding dogs in general. Their rules/bylaws (whatever they are called) are so anti dog and it sickens me.

Now to why I can't blame the RDCO in this case is because of my opinion of Diesel's owner. The guy is a wing nut. The amount of time and money that he probably spent to drag this out for 2 years could have simply been spent to build the fence. If he truly cared about Diesel, he would have accepted the conditions (even if he feels they are wrong) and he would have sucked it up and got his dog back 2 years ago.

There are definitely times when the average Joe needs to take a stand against government. If no one ever did, nothing would ever change. But when another person OR dog is going to suffer from you taking that stand, you should ask yourself what is more important...the stand, or the dog...

I blame the owner for Diesel being locked up for so long, not the RDCO.

And lastly, YAY DIESEL!!! You are almost free. I hope your adopters are kind people and that they have experience working with unstable dogs. I'd be willing to bet that with the right person, Diesel will be a wonderful family dog within a year.

Return to “Central Okanagan”