Regional Districts Proposal Could Save Diesel.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Regional Districts Proposal Could Save Diesel.

Post by Fancy »

And i have had neighbors dogs relieving themselves for many many years on my property, never gave them grief about it
Good for you but that's not the point is it? Some people show no respect, don't care and it can be fruitless trying to get someone to obey the laws and keep their "property" on their own property. That's why fences are required in a lot of situations. Nobody needs their pets jumped on, bitten, bowled over, harrassed in their own yard never mind taking a dog for a walk and getting attacked.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It would be really nice if everyone learned to keep control of their animal and then dog control wouldn't be so busy, the dogs wouldn't end up in the pound and dogs like Diesel wouldn't get labelled.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

removed
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Dog fights happen because people don't have control of their animal - a leash is only good if the person on the other end uses it appropriately. Two people talking and the next second the dogs are at each other - not fun to watch.

Remember, the two maxims, “an
ounce of prevention is worth a pound
of cure” and “ignorance of the law is
no excuse”. Whether you are a
resident of a particular municipality
in Canada or are planning to visit
that location with your dog, being
informed about your rights and obligations
means that you and your
dog are less likely to be penalized
and that your best friend will not
become your worst nightmare

http://www.celap.com/lawarticles/articl ... ws-rev.pdf
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

removed
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Why does it matter whether the article is outdated when what I quoted is relevant?
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Yes, life is not fair....especially where pets are concerned. Many people see them as dispensable, and the fear mongering that has gone on about certain breeds is, although possible, not always the truth. The problem in many cases is not the dogs themselves, but their owners, but it is the dogs that suffer the consequences. Yes, there are dogs that are pretty nasty....but over the years, people have come to think of their dogs as family members....as do I. The problem is, that they also believe that their dog would never do that....and ALL dog owners need to be aware of the possibilities and act accordingly. There are/can be extenuating circumstances that can push the buttons of a perfectly sweet, sensible, trained dog.
And, IMO, people in general need to know the difference between a happy, exuberant dog that lacks good training,(ie., jumping, bouncing, bowling over etc.,) and a dog that moves/acts in a threatening manner.
And regardless, the owners need to respect the other people that are around them...period.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I didn't quote an article about Edmonton - I posted the link as to where I got the quote from - copyright.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Fancy wrote:I didn't quote an article about Edmonton - I posted the link as to where I got the quote from - copyright.

Sorry, my mistake.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's okay - the main thing is to make people aware of what's going on - the more people learn, the more people can help make positive changes. Can only hope Diesel benefits and is released to a good environment.
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

Let the dog go and put Smith in the cage. See how fast his tune changes :purefury:
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Diesel gets a new home - finally light at the end of this dark tunnel.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

:hailjo: Thank god!!! Here's hoping he can live out the rest of his life in comfort and kindness and with so much love...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Judge orders new home for Diesel
by Jennifer Zielinski - Story: 87449
Feb 15, 2013 / 1:50 pm

Photo: Contributed - FacebookAfter over two years behind bars at the RDCO dog control facility, the fate of 'Diesel' has been decided.

Diesel's owner Dave Smith contacted Castanet to say a Supreme Court Judge has stayed the euthanasia order against the dog.

"He found him dangerous under the Charter, but he has found that conditional orders are allowed, but he has not allowed Diesel to return to me."

Smith says the RDCO has been given seven days to put together potential adopters, which will be discussed next Friday during a telephone conference which Smith will be a part of.

Saddened by the news Diesel will not be returned to him, Smith says the decision is also a 'massive loss' for the RDCO.

"The argument has been in the past by all Regional Districts, that conditional orders are not allowed and this judge has reviewed that, as it was part of the appeal. He has said they are the law," explains Smith.

"So even if a dog is declared dangerous under the Charter they can still be conditionally released."

Smith sees the judge's decisions regarding conditional releases as a 'huge positive' for dogs in the province, which Regional Districts will have to abide by.

The Judge did agree with the RDCO's argument that Smith was an irresponsible dog owner.

Smith, who's owned several dogs in his life time, says that assessment is not true.

"Because of the number of tickets that were written (against me), even though I successfully disputed them in court, those formed a the basis for, 'I guess I should have done more than I did'."

He still stands firm that Diesel is not guilty of attacking another dog for which he is accused of.

Ironically the RDCO made an offer to Smith this time last year to release Diesel into his care under certain conditions. Smith made a counter offer, for which the RDCO did not respond.

The RDCO made a second, non-negotiable, offer in December stating Diesel be transferred to a new owner through an anonymous adoption by a dog rescue agency approved by the RDCO, and not be released back to Smith.

Almost the exact decision made by the Supreme Court of Appeal Judge.

The good news is Diesel will be released and get to live out his dog days, just not in the hands of Smith.

"He is a good dog," Smith sighed.

The RDCO was not available for comment at the time this story was prepared.

They are expected to release a statement later today.

Return to “Central Okanagan”