SPCA: And you were complaining about the RDCO?

Lore
Übergod

Re: SPCA: and you were complaining about the RDCO?

Post by Lore »

janalta wrote:
Not if they were mislead, misinformed, pressured or coerced into signing it

Any of which would have to be proved.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

There is no evidence the SPCA did anything wrong in this situation.
I would say that given the thousands of animals they serve every year, they get it right more often than not.

Ironically, this thread/topic has been beaten about as badly as the horses the SPCA were established to protect!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
billyflynn

And now you know… The Rest of the Story.

Post by billyflynn »

Everyday since CHBC decided to run an expose on the “terrible injustice” done to a retired couple
named Bill and Ardyth Hodson by the SPCA, the rhetoric has increased on both sides: the people
supporting the Hodsons and their quest to get back the dog they gave up for adoption has
become increasingly derogatory, critical and even threatening at times. Those condoning the
SPCA’s decision and actions throughout this have become more vocal as well, usually respectful
but at times fairly critical of the Hodsons.

So here’s the real story and most of the facts, as we know them. We weren’t privy to personal
information and in fact only found out the Hodson’s identity after they did an interview with CHBC
in their home and decided to tell their story. Unfortunately, many of the details simply weren’t true,
and combined with the human interest reporting of a local video journalist, it's created a bit of a
social media war between the two sides. This would normally be amusing but when the discourse
becomes hateful, unfairly critical and threatening at times, it needs to be addressed.

Our interest is really simple; we’re the family who adopted and fostered the Tibetan Terrier known
as Fifi and her 7 puppies.

Eleven weeks ago the phone rang and a member of the staff at the Kelowna SPCA called us to
see if we could foster a mother and her 7 pups, there had been 8 but one was dead at birth. She
had taken the mother home to deliver the babies in late October fearing that the pups would have
a difficult time surviving birth in a shelter environment. We’d never done this before, but my wife
and daughter months earlier had decided to put us through the process to be qualified as a foster
family. We weren’t sure how prepared we were, but need is need, and this little family desperately
needed a home. Between the Internet, friends and the people at the SPCA, we were pretty sure
we could figure most things out. We agreed to foster the pups and their mother, did the necessary
paperwork and on October 27th received a pile of blankets, some canned and dry food, a couple
of cozy dog beds, some plastic fencing to contain the puppies once they found their feet, one
wildly distressed female Tibetan Terrier and her 7 little puppies that looked more like guinea pigs
than dogs.

We set them up in our laundry that first night to give the mother some privacy and protection, and
also to keep them close enough so we could hear if anything should happen. We later took our
craft room downstairs (which fortunately has a sealed tile floor) and converted it to a kennel for
them. It allowed us to create a sleeping area, a waste area and a play area for the mother and her
pups.

Once we had everyone settled, we were able to start asking a few questions. Why was she so
skittish, what type of dog was the father and why did she drink unbelievable amounts of water
(over 3 liters per 12 hours), then scratch at the door every 20 minutes to be let outside. We would
set our alarm every night for 12:30 am and 3:30 am to take her out, rather than jeopardize her
health and withhold her water intake at night.

Being a mother with pups accounted for some of the skittishness, but her constant, urgent
drinking of water and demands to be let outside to urinate was a whole different level. We
decided to get her to a vet, even though she had been taken to one by the previous owners to be
tested for diabetes, we’ve always been firm believers in persistence. As for the father, there was
no indication as to who the culprit might be and she wasn't talking.

Since the media storm two days after Christmas, we learned that an elderly couple had brought
her in to surrender her and that she was in fact in labor. She had been a stray and depending
upon what you believed, she was either found up there by the people themselves, given to them,
or delivered by their grandchildren from a small shelter/kennel in Fort Nelson. I’m not sure which
is true, nor do I think it really matters in the end. The dog had never been spayed and was
allowed to run fairly free, so one and one being what it is, she was soon pregnant.
The pups grew and soon began to run and bark (which sounded more like a flock of seagulls).
While the mother usually takes care of her pups waste in the first four weeks, at some point their
ability to produce far outpaces her ability to make it disappear. We now added janitor, to our
growing list of new jobs: dog walkers, laundry maids, food preparers, night watchman and
occasional storyteller to the attentive little family. At this point I should come clean and admit that
my wife was the chief cook and bottle washer of this operation, I was the support crew and head
gopher.

We researched her PD/PU problems as they say in the business (that means drinking and peeing
for the uninitiated) and narrowed it down to three possible issues: her kidneys were shot, she had
diabetes or it was all in her head (psychogenic polydipsia). We took her in to the vet for additional
testing and were able to rule out the diabetes, at least the blood sugar variety. We then had her
blood tested twice more, and finally had a water deprivation urinalysis done. This identified her
problem as diabetes insipidus, but still left it uncertain as to whether it could be treated with drugs
or not.

The jury is still out; the only way outside of MRIs and other expensive testing is to give her the
medication and see if she reacts, so far so good. If she does it’s what’s called CDI (central
diabetes insipidus), that means the drugs will stop the cycle but at a cost of about $130.00 a
bottle which is good for about 40 days and will be required for life; if it doesn’t work, our only
option will be to continue to take her out whenever she wants and make sure she has a steady
supply of fresh water: withholding water from her can kill her so the late nights could be frequent.

So fast forward ten weeks and where do things stand today?

 The puppies have grown to be healthy, well socialized little canine citizens. They've been
weaned from their mother, and have now all been adopted out to great families, each
sent off with tears and a little care package to make their transition easier. The SPCA
handled the screening and application process; we kept the pups at our place until after
Christmas to keep stress levels to a minimum. (No we didn’t sell them and pocket the
cash as one poster speculated, nor did we keep them all as another poster suggested,
matter of fact, we weren’t even looking for a dog when they arrived). Each adoptive family
paid the SPCA a fee covering the vaccinations, the spaying and neutering and a first vet
visit.

 As for the mama, she’s one of us now. Somewhere along way in the past two and a half
months, this twice abandoned, slightly-broken mother of seven found her way into our
hearts, and has become family, and one of the things you never do in our world is turn
your back on your family. So we filled out the application just like the rest of the world and
are now the proud parents of the two-year-old Tibetan Terrier formerly known as Fifi. She
has settled down and no longer needs to be taken out every 20 minutes, she’s put on a
little weight, her coat looks great after a recent ‘do and she looks forward to her daily long
walks. She’s said a peaceful goodbye to each of her pups and can live the rest of her life
knowing she's done well by them.

I don’t want to be the judge or jury in this story, but I think it’s important that the details are set
right. The facts are pretty straightforward, don’t really leave a lot of room for interpretation and
are readily available for anyone willing to take the time:

 She was surrendered, knowingly and with full understanding of the ramifications to the
SPCA by the Hodsons, two days before she gave birth. They were not misled, lied to or
even given false hope. No one ever told the staff at the SPCA at the time of adoption that
they wanted her back; in fact, they wrote on her surrender documents that if the SPCA
was not successful in adopting her out, they may come and take her back. Their version,
which is very different, may play well on the local news but it simply isn’t true.

 She was brought to them in April, checked by their vet in May and never spayed, then
allowed to run free and became pregnant in late August sometime and gave birth in the
third week of October. The only reason given for not having her spayed was that they had
no time. We have three kids, full time jobs and still managed to get 7 puppies and the
Mama spayed, you only need to drop them off and pick them up that same day, not
perform the surgery.

 She suffers from diabetes insipidus and was never fully diagnosed or treated in the time
they had her.

 The family swears they were all there nursing her back to health and loving her, yet in her
time of need, the only option available to the Hodsons was to give her up for adoption,
leaving others to deal with the fallout and expense.

 Not only have they created tremendous stress amongst the employees and volunteers of
the Kelowna SPCA, they’ve also allowed them to be discredited and criticized based on
their false statements to CHBC. The proof exists in their own handwriting; the SPCA is
bound by confidentiality and therefore unable to respond directly to the allegations by the
Hodsons or be interviewed by CHBC for a rebuttal.

 Claiming age discrimination as a reason for their inability to re-adopt this dog is
ridiculous. It’s as much about age as it is about incompetence, irresponsibility and
selfishness. Enough of playing the victims: they created this situation and have let other
people clean-up the mess, pay for the cost and spend their time, never mind the fact that
they’ve blamed the SPCA for their own mistakes and allowed their friends, relatives and
supporters to defame those who are doing the clean-up for them.

So I suggest the “Where is Fifi” crowd find a new cause; Fifi is alive and well and no longer called
Fifi. She’s a happy, stable, permanent part of our family and will be cared for as one of our
own. I would also add, the next time they think to judge people, they might spend some time
thinking about the source of their information and the real reasons behind their own motivation.

And lastly, as much as this has been a great experience for us we probably won't do it again. To
have had the privilege of playing a role in bringing these puppies to a place where they will get
great starts in this world, and to now have this wonderful dog a part of our family is much to be
grateful for, but the heartache of giving those little puppies away is too much. God bless those
that are able, they are badly needed in this world.

As for the people at the SPCA, I am not one of them. We came to this place quite by accident, but
what I can say is that these are dedicated, compassionate people who for the better part do what
they do for free. They go home some nights with tears in their eyes because sometimes things
just don’t work out. They spend a tremendous amount of time caring for these animals, cleaning
up after them, deliberating over the best possible homes for them and worrying about their health
and the chances of them making it in this world.

We're quick to demand action from our public servants and even quicker to criticize them when
they don't act; Suzanne Pugh has taken a tremendous amount of criticism for her part in this, as
have the whole staff at the SPCA. If anything, they deserve to be commended for a job well done.

To suggest that this organization is more focused on politics than they are on the animals is
shameful, and for those of you openly criticizing them from behind the safety of your keyboards I
suggest you get off your collective *bleep* and do something useful in this world rather than looking
for ways to tear it down - maybe take some of that obvious time you have on your hands and
volunteer an hour or two of it at your local SPCA.

Suzanne’s actions and her decisions were made in the best interest of the only life that really
mattered in this story: the dog’s.

In the humble words of Gandhi, "Be the change you wish to see in this world.”

photo-3.jpg

She’s a happy girl, and the kids - you be the judge…

photo-4.jpg
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters”
Albert Einstein
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

:sunshine:

Thank you!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

:rate10:

Thank You for all you have done and for posting your story. I suspected as much.
The pictures bring tears to my eyes as "Fifi" looks a lot like a dog we used to have (RIP Scamper)!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Yeah! love a happy ending! Thanks for posting Billyflynn!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
nle
Fledgling

Post by nle »

janalta wrote:http://www.chbcnews.ca/Pages/Story.aspx?id=6442779042

Unbelievable !
Just one more reminder as to why I've never donated to the SPCA

really are you serious you dont believe they understood GO to the spca and try to see the forms you need to sign to surrender a animal they arent a kennel nor are they vets ...if you dont get that when you walk in your not smart enough to own a animal in the first place WHY wasnt this animal fixed or maybe they didnt know what causes babies either give me a break geesh :digging:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Yeah ....thats sooo nice.

for a rather delayed "crafted" response.,.

NOTHING you have said has changed my mindf.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Yes - thank you for sharing your story, and for all you did for this sweet dog and her pups. Sounds like she has a great home. :cheerleader:
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

MAPearce wrote:Yeah ....thats sooo nice.

for a rather delayed "crafted" response.,.

NOTHING you have said has changed my mindf.

If facts don't change your mind then theres no hope.
nle
Fledgling

Post by nle »

hahahahahahahahahaha thats funny
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Suzanne’s actions and her decisions were made in the best interest of the only life that really
mattered in this story: the dog’s.

wow that was a real nice way to call these old people liars ,to tell you don't know what really happened and that the spca doesnt care about humans only animals
Peace be with you.
nle
Fledgling

Post by nle »

so what im hearing if you are a liar AND you are elderly people shouldnt call you on it
hmmm i was raised a liar is a liar age 5 to age 99 and if you live past 99 you can say what ya want when you want
and as for them being lied to or threatened i kinda dont know wht the spca would do that not like they arent lacking in the department of looking after other ______ people who dont care for their own animals , once again the moment you walk into that building you dont get a home away from home feeling , you get a this is their last chance please HELP feeling...oh and for all you do gooders there are a few crack heads downtown who need a place to stay tonight why not go help them too ... :dyinglaughing:
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

Thank you Billyflynn and family for being such compassionate human beings, and for setting the record straight. There will always be some who find their own reasons to bash anything. Never mind them. The majority of people on here, and I'm sure in the general public, know that the SPCA does what is best for the animals - and that is how it should be. I'm so happy that your new family member has a forever home with caring, responsible owners. She deserves this after all she has been through, and I'm sure she will repay all of your efforts on her and her pups behalf a million times over. It's really unfortunate that the SPCA has had to endure criticism for doing what obviously was the right thing to do. I'm sorry for the Hodson's loss, as I'm sure in their own way they love the dog, but after seeing the pictures you have posted I hope they will agree that Fifi (formerly) is in good and loving hands. I hope that gives them some relief, and that they have learned from this that responsibility can't be put off until convenient, or passed on to someone else without consequence.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

I'm sure the dog is wonderfully happy in her new home and very well cared for...I don't think anyone actually doubted that for a moment.

Everything else you posted about what happened before you came into the picture, what happened at the shelter, what the couple's actions or intentions were are all second hand information passed on to you from the SPCA themselves.
So, I choose to take their well planned and thought out response as it was meant to be...PR control.
You were told what they wanted you to hear.
Therefore you were no more privy to what truly went on between the staff and the previous owners than any of us are...and quite honestly, you also have no first hand information about whether or not they simply allowed the dog to 'run free' as she pleased.

( and I must have missed where people here were accusing you of selling the pups to make money ??? )

Again, I'm sure the dog is happy and no one ever blamed you or your family for anything that went on between the other two parties.
And...just for the record....some of us have done more than our fair share of fostering, rescuing and helping animals for many years....so try not to judge so quickly as no one here has judged you for anything.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.

Return to “Central Okanagan”