SPCA: And you were complaining about the RDCO?

robik

Re: SPCA: and you were complaining about the RDCO?

Post by robik »

Hey Kibbs, you really have to start paying attention... SPCA had nothing to do with making this story public, the adopting owner had finally reached his fill of speculative rhetoric and general misinformed opinion and felt compelled to set the record straight in a very well written and thorough public letter.

To assume the Hodson's were mislead or deceived in any way is total propaganda. Please ask anyone who has surrendered a pet to the SPCA if they were not totally informed of the probable outcome of the surrender. For reasons I believe Babbitman has already mentioned, ownership of a surrendered animal must be given to the SPCA and that is always made very clear.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Kibbs. You keep talking about the SPCA being pro animal versus pro human. They are in the business of caring for animals. Not humans so I don't get where the disconnect is.

Humans can take care of their own grief and their own pain in their own way; animals cannot without the help of humans. They suffer in silence because they are animals.

Your posts are well written but they leave me wondering what it is about you that makes me ask why, given your eloquence you are basing your opinions on a perception that what the original older couple have stated is the truth?

Given the two very different stories, I would think that rationality would point to what in fact is written; that being the signed paperwork versus the spoken word.

If a member of the SPCA staff did in fact skew the truth (which I cannot fathom but OK, stranger things have happened) with regard to the likelihood of them getting their dog back, I would have to believe that it was because they felt that the animal needed to be better protected than what she was being offered at the time.

These people are in their mid to late 70's and I find it very difficult to believe that you can live that long and not know what the acronym SPCA stands for. No where in the title does it state or imply that they are in the business of caring for pets on a temporary basis as a relief measure for pet owners who need help with their charges.

Let's suppose that they truly didn't understand what the society can and cannot do. It's even harder to believe that no one in their family or circle couldn't have at least said "Geez, i don't think that's what they do, but let's ask".

So here they are standing at the counter at the shelter and if what those of you who believe that the Society lied or misled them is true, you are saying that the person who they spoke with immediately flagged them as a risk and then concocted a story based on age discrimination but then changed their tune to where they nodded their heads and said " absolutely, we will look after Fifi and once the pups have been tended to and are ready for adoption, you can have her back because that is what we do". "Oh. and sign here, this basically confirms everything I just lied to you about".

That they state in their story that they were discriminated against because of age is, in my opinion, merely a way to get people to pay attention and to possibly get those who they feel have wronged them to bow to their wishes. It brings to mind those who play the race card whenever they feel that they have been slighted.

I will not state emphatically that their story is impossible however, it certainly is improbable.

It simply would not be in the best interests of the Society to lie so blatantly because they as a business would know that this is what the outcome would be and why would you willingly and knowingly put yourself in the position to be publicly outed and crucified by the very people to whom you look to for support?

Occam's razor I think explains it best.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

For reasons I believe Babbitman has already mentioned, ownership of a surrendered animal must be given to the SPCA and that is always made very clear.

I signed the same form with an exception that we had to pick him up in 3 days (we did)

they wanted to as well....

file away.

the $200.00 would be well worth it, let the judge decide, we all know that wrong information is given out by companies employees all the time...

exceptions have been made before and i would seriously doubt spca would make this public
Peace be with you.
robik

Post by robik »

I am certain that our local SPCA would more than welcome an inquiry or "Judge" go over the paperwork and statements as made by all parties involved. Unfortunately, they have been made out as the "bad guy" when this story really doesn't need a bad guy!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

hey are in the business of caring for animals. Not humans so I don't get where the disconnect is.

because i believe animals are here to service humans,humans are here to service other humans and a deity if they wish.we are not here to serve animals .we care for them to serve humans.the spca denied this man his human rights. i've heard so any people say i like animals better than people and seen so many people dress there animals up and confine the in human like environments .this is CRUELTY.these are not animal lovers .if you truly loved animals you would set them all free.no these are animal worshipers .they have put animals supposed needs above humans and the animal is there deity.
Peace be with you.
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

kibbs wrote:How can i feel sympathy for spca staff when they only care about animals.just as long as the animals are ok,there isn't a problem.

????

That's their job. Just because you believe that animals are here to service humans does not mean others who have different ideas, ideas and ideals btw that are supported by the general community, and those different ideas/ideals are wrong.

Again as someone else pointed out, in any contract the onus is on the signer to understand its contents.

I read where one of the previous posters said they gave their animal to the SPCA but came back in three days (or less?) sorry can't remember the details. That's a hell of a difference than 7 or 8 weeks.

In my mind, it is very unfair and selfish of those who did surrender Fifi to expect to get her back after all the hard work has been done and someone else has fallen in love with her. Guess the Flynns feelings don't count either.... not to mention the $$ so they could provide Fifi with proper medical care and diagnosis.

Lesson for all of us: If you want to keep something, don't give it away or take it for granted.

Billyflynn and his home sounds like heaven to me, if I were Fifi. Heart body and soul, what more can anyone want?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

kibbs wrote:because i believe animals are here to service humans,humans are here to service other humans and a deity if they wish.we are not here to serve animals .we care for them to serve humans.the spca denied this man his human rights. i've heard so any people say i like animals better than people and seen so many people dress there animals up and confine the in human like environments .this is CRUELTY.these are not animal lovers .if you truly loved animals you would set them all free.no these are animal worshipers .they have put animals supposed needs above humans and the animal is there deity.

Because the SPCA is there to put the needs of animals first.

"These are not animal lovers"...who are you referring to? Pretty obviously you're speaking of yourself since you think that the SPCA is somehow there to serve the purpose of human and not the well being of the animals.

And what "right" are you speaking of? The right to neglect your duties as a pet owner, have an organization take on your responsibilities and foot the bill, and take your pet back when all of the hard work is done?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I did as you suggested, I set my dogs free. They played in the snow for a few minutes and came back to the door. Should I let them into the house, ignore them till they freeze or starve, or take them up into the bush to be free ?
Black Dogs Matter
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

And what "right" are you speaking of

the right to own a young dog despite your advanced years.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I did as you suggested, I set my dogs free. They played in the snow for a few minutes and came back to the door. Should I let them into the house, ignore them till they freeze or starve, or take them up into the bush to be free ?

then you are a true dog lover and this dog is your friend and has chosen to loyally serve you. honour that by letting him be a free dog don't confine him teach him the rules to be safe around humans.let him run play and be out doors as much as possible.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

When you are raised to process animals as food you have see animals that way.you cant say this animal is a cow ,so it gets penned grain fed and slaughtered. This animal is a cute dog with babies so it gets treated like human. this guy is old and poor so we treat him like a dog.
Peace be with you.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

kibbs wrote:the right to own a young dog despite your advanced years.

This has been proven by what?

The obvious facts have been stated that these original owners were unable to care for this dog/puppies as required.

Ageism is a nice excuse though.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

The obvious facts have been stated that these original owners were unable to care for this dog/puppies as required.

Ageism is a nice excuse though

the adoption decision not to give the dog back and to give it the young family was based on their advanced years made him the less suitable home despite the previous bond made.
Peace be with you.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Lets stay on topic here. Thanks!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

The obvious facts have been stated that these original owners were unable to care for this dog/puppies as required
none of these cruel assumptions are proof get your facts strait
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”