SPCA: And you were complaining about the RDCO?

pepecat
Board Meister

Re: SPCA: and you were complaining about the RDCO?

Post by pepecat »

How can you relate a case like this to the one of Diesel? That poor dog is wrapped up in the law of the courts and the RDCO. How does it relate to the SPCA and a dog that was surrendered?

Please explain in terms that make sense without accusations against people with different views than your own.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

How can you relate a case like this to the one of Diesel?

?????? That's not the one I quoted ... Lemme help you.

SHADOW .... You know thre dog that was held by RDCO for over 8 months in a really small cage because some busy bodied beatch....

Oh never mind. You'd just ask for a "link"..Proves you do live under a rock

but considering their inaction on Shadow's ABUSE at the hand of the RDCO and their discrimination of old people who thought they were doing, and IMO were, the right thing, they're out

if you were paying ATTENTION , you'd have found it.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

I have my own experience-based reasons for no longer supporting the SPCA, either financially or morally. They need to learn balance and really need to get off their high horses in their pet adoption expectations and procedures. They also need to cease treating people as if the animals in their (SPCA's) charge are human beings. They are not. While the SPCA mandate is laudable, and (sadly) necessary, they have gone way overboard in their determination to find the absolutely perfect home for every living thing they take in.

But, in the case of this thread, I believe the SPCA did the right thing. From everything I've seen and read, I do not believe the people at the centre of this controversy fully understand what constitutes responsible dog ownership, which, among many other considerations, also includes realistically assessing how their own remaining life expectancy will affect the dog. I'm not saying they are bad people, but, perhaps they'd be better off with an aquarium.

Wants, and the ability to sustain those wants, can be two totally different things. I believe that may be the case here.

The SPCA made the right call in the dog's best interests.

Ultimately, my hope is that the dog found a great, permanent, loving home with her new humans, and that her puppies all find the same.
Last edited by bipdl on Dec 29th, 2012, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Sorry, I referred to the wrong case. However the case of Shadow is along the same vein. It was a very unfortunate and sad case in the hands of the court and the RDCO, brought about by unreasonable and/or vindictive humans.

Instead of nitpicking and striving for irrelevant arguments, why not provide information for why the SPCA is so bad for the well-being of animals? How exactly is the SPCA doing a disservice to animals and prospective adopters? Please let us know so we can make informed decisions about our next additions to our families.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

bipdl wrote:I have my own experience-based reasons for no longer supporting the SPCA, either financially or morally. They need to learn balance and really need to get off their high horses in their pet adoption expectations and procedures. They also need to cease treating people as if the animals in their (SPCA's) charge are human beings. They are not. While the SPCA mandate is laudable, and (sadly) necessary, they have gone way overboard in their determination to find the absolutely perfect home for every living thing they take in.

But, in the case of this thread, I believe the SPCA did the right thing. From everything I've seen and read, I do not believe the people at the centre of this controversy fully understand what constitutes responsible dog ownership, which, among many other considerations, also includes realistically assessing how their own remaining life expectancy will affect the dog. I'm not saying they are bad people, but, perhaps they'd be better off with an aquarium.

Wants, and the ability to sustain those wants, can be two totally different things. I believe that may be the case here.

The SPCA made the right call in the dog's best interests.

A good post..But to consider the life expectancy of a master means they should also consider the life expectancy of the animal and use the same variables....

What if the master get hit in a crosswalk by an idiot motorist texting on his smartphone ? Just as likely as the dog getting hit by an idiot motorist texting on his smartphone..

Only difference might be that the dog was on a leash...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

pepecat wrote:Sorry, I referred to the wrong case. However the case of Shadow is along the same vein. It was a very unfortunate and sad case in the hands of the court and the RDCO, brought about by unreasonable and/or vindictive humans.

Instead of nitpicking and striving for irrelevant arguments, why not provide information for why the SPCA is so bad for the well-being of animals? How exactly is the SPCA doing a disservice to animals and prospective adopters? Please let us know so we can make informed decisions about our next additions to our families.

Ask the above poster....I've lost my credibility with you.

I won't lose any sleep over it though..I know I'm not alone.

Others have their reasons too.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

MAPearce wrote:

A good post..But to consider the life expectancy of a master means they should also consider the life expectancy of the animal and use the same variables....

What if the master get hit in a crosswalk by an idiot motorist texting on his smartphone ? Just as likely as the dog getting hit by an idiot motorist texting on his smartphone..

Only difference might be that the dog was on a leash...

Both human and dog were on the same leash, at opposite ends.
"What if" they simply outlawed texting while driving? Oh Wait...

I'm not getting into it with you MAP.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'm not getting into it with you MAP.

Good idea...To argue about life expectancy would be to deny our chances of getting struck by lightning.
I have sick children I'm tending to

Good night
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

True! :dyinglaughing:

Good night!
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Well then MAPearce, I concede to your great argument against the SPCA.

Thanks for your intelligent responses! You have convinced me that the SPCA is bad and discriminatory against old people and animals. Your insightful replies to my questions tonight have made me see the light. I will never speak up for the SPCA again and will make sure to tell all my friends to pass on the word.

Do you think they will take back my old doggy and kitten? I clearly made a mistake by adopting them from there. Anywhere but there from now on to add to my family!
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

A few things I've read tonight that I'd like to address...first off, many people are statng that the foster home that kept the dog was much better suited since they could provide the proper veterinary care needed.....has something been published today somewhere that shows the financial status of the original owners???? Were they ever even asked if they could still care for the dog, given this medical condition?

No one has ever said the SPCA did anything illegal or underhanded...yes indeed, they got the owners to sign the dog over...how? By telling an elderly couple that they would not provide help for the puppies unless the dog was signed over to them. Sorry, but I find that wrong. Did they offer this couple any advice, any resources to help them out, any alternative solutions rather than surrendering their beloved pet? If they were so concerned about the welfare of the dog...they should have been aware that it would have been much less stressful for that dog to give birth in her own home, in familar surroundings.
No, instead of offering advice or alternatives....the couple was told if you want help, surrender your dog. Nice.
The SPCA decided to be judge and jury...they decided that the couple was too old to own a young dog, they decided that this couple could not afford to care for a dog with a medical condition, they decided that their volunteer was a better fit.

Someone said the puppies have all found good homes. Really? How is that possible without them ever being up on the shelter's web site? I look at the site quite often and have never seen the pups...in fact, as desperate as they are for donations, I've never actually seen more than 3 dogs there at one time...ever. I went in last spring when I was looking for a dog...they had two. I was told they didn't usually have a lot of dogs in there, especially in the past few years. Not sure what the big new building addition is for.

Now for the money part of things....one small breed dog - $359. Eight small breed puppies under 6 months of age - $459 each. That's well over $4,000 worth of dogs for them. Nice pot.
Yes, we are all well aware that it costs money to keep those dogs for 8 weeks. They are kept at a volunteer's home...volunteer means free housing. So, there is the cost of feeding one small female for two months and getting puppies started on solid food after they are weaned. $100 at best. So, they are left with $3,900. Vet care for pups....for regular folks getting a litter vet checked and vaccinated is approx $50 per pup..$400. Vets that work with the SPCA do not charge them the same fee they charge Joe Public. At least $3,500 left over for the SPCA and their staff. Not bad.

We all know it costs money to own a pet...but the SPCA web site states that it costs them $485 for each dog that comes through their shelter. Really ??? Of course, administrative fees and salaries are included in that....you do your own math. Don't forget to factor in reduced vet care costs, volunteer work, foster homes, donated food, money, toys and bedding.

No one can argue that there is a need for animal rescue and animal welfare organizations....but one has to wonder how most rescues can adopt dogs out for less than half the prices the SPCA charges, with next to no money donated to them.

Figure it all out and then tell us that the SPCA had nothing to gain from convincing this couple to surrender their dog.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

As far as surrendering to the spca, could you imagine the liability issues they would have without this mandate?
ALL their funding would be wasted on legally defending themselves.
Surrender it, sign here, you no longer have ANY rights, its a done deal.
If muffy has kittens on the stove, we can call them cookies, and theres nothing you can do about it.
Imagine if you will, the quagmire without the surrender clause.
Muffy had kittens, they are mine, and they are muffins, not cookies.
My dog had pups, I want my dog back, but I didnt own pups when I brought her here, so I dont want the pups, but gimme back my dog.
My dog/cat/hamster has PTSS from being in your shelter.
Im giving you my pet, but we'll be back from Ontario in 3 weeks, hold him for me, K? BTW, he eats only table scraps. Certified organic Taber Alberta beef. We get it flown in weekly.
I couldnt afford to feed my 17 year old corgie, so I gave her to you for a week till I got my pension check, and she died while in your care, in my mind she was worth 4 grand, pay me.
I dont care what your vet thinks, I say she's fine. Do you have any idea who I am?
She needs to have her bowels invigorated. I didnt surrender her to you, so she's still mine.
Invigorate her bowels daily at 2 while Guiding Light is on, I do it while Im eating the yellow jujubes. I'll pick her up when Im back from visiting my sister.
I think she might be constipated. Im suing.
Im suing.
Imagine the nuisance lawsuits.
Its mandates like this that keep us from becoming the USA.

My issues with the spca?
They euthanize.
You've been here for x amount of time, gotta make room, thanks for being on the planet.
They have a large amount of government funding, and a paid board of directors.
The local okanagan humane society doesnt euthanize, has a spay and neuter program, gets less than one tenth in grants compared to the spca, and has a volunteer board of directors.
I invite an SPCA director to identify themselves and comment here.

They'd be a great outfit if it wasnt for that.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

janalta wrote:A few things I've read tonight that I'd like to address...first off, many people are statng that the foster home that kept the dog was much better suited since they could provide the proper veterinary care needed.....has something been published today somewhere that shows the financial status of the original owners???? Were they ever even asked if they could still care for the dog, given this medical condition?

Proper care doesn't necessarily mean having funds for a vet, it means being constantly alert of the animals condition each and every day of it's life and everyday without fail doing what is necessary to prevent constant trips to the vet. It's about knowing what to do, what the signs of a flair up looks like and prevention. It's about constant researching, proper diet etc.
With a dog who has a condition there is no room for error and because we are not perfect knowing within hours that one has been made and knowing what to do about it and insure it doesn't happen again. It is a lot of work. We have to constantly explain to people who say "oh a little bit won't kill her" that yes, actually it could. Yes begging big brown eyes are cute, we want those eyes around for a long time. It's been almost 2 years since she was diagnosed and aside from her yearly maintenance she has not required medical assistance.
I hope this couple was asked, but I am assuming that since they couldn't take care of the basic needs of this dog, and surrendered her for those reasons, I hardly believe they could handle a dog with a condition that when you don't know what to do could be life threatening. Love and companionship isn't always enough.
HarveyRichter

Post by HarveyRichter »

Babbitman wrote:My issues with the spca?
They euthanize.
You've been here for x amount of time, gotta make room, thanks for being on the planet.
The local okanagan humane society doesnt euthanize, has a spay and neuter program, gets less than one tenth in grants compared to the spca, and has a volunteer board of directors.
I invite an SPCA director to identify themselves and comment here.

Actually, I have asked them. They only Euthanize for severe aggression, or if they are sick and prolonging the animals life will only make it suffer longer..and on a Vets recommendation.

Where do you get that they euthanize for space? Have you asked them? I see animals online that are still there months later. So clearly they don't.

They have ZERO Government funding!

They also have a Spay and Neuter Program.

How about you get your facts right before you start talking?
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

My issues with the spca?
They euthanize.

I agree to all of the above.

I also agree to the criticism of the SPCA handling of RDCO cases.

Re: the signing over of the animal to the SPCA is required, and I think it has to do with the fact that animals are still considered property under law. Babbitman above me gave an abundance of repercussions that could occur if something went awry. All of our family members are from rescues - SPCA/Critteraid (well not the human children). There is a paper you have to sign that says you will get the animal spayed/neutered. If you don't, it is considered neglect (I don't think it says exactly that, but is implied)

The dog has been done right by all concerned. Surrendered, treated/cared for, rehomed.

The 79 yr old couple did the right thing to surrender Fifi, but the SPCA is not a babysitting service. Their understanding that they would get their dog back was their own problem, imho. I do think they had big hearts to take Fifi in in the first place, and big hearts don't ever go away.

Maybe this is really all as it should be. Maybe they could adopt an older dog now... these are the truly sad cases that don't seem to get the light. These are the ones usually put down within a small amount of time because they are not that "appealing"/ "adoptable"... or as appealing as a puppy or a younger dog.

One of the things with responsible animal guardians is that the research is done, and the breed matches the temperament and abilities of their potential new family.

I'm glad Fifi has a new home.

Return to “Central Okanagan”