SPCA: And you were complaining about the RDCO?

janalta
Übergod

Re: SPCA: and you were complaining about the RDCO?

Post by janalta »

Ali Gator wrote:I don't understand their reasoning for taking their dog to the SPCA. The poor dog would not understand why it was being brought there and the owners left? I also don't understand why the dog was not spayed in the first place if it came from another SPCA. I would never bring my pet to the SPCA just on the chance there could be a sick animal there.

A friend suggested the SPCA might be able to help them...a decision I'm sure they regret.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

janalta wrote:
They said they got her from a shelter up north in April...that she had been found as a stray.
Like the rest of us, they assumed all dogs coming from rescues are spayed before they are adopted out.
It was not until they took her to their vet that they found out she was not spayed....it does not say how long ago they found this out. For all we know, she could have already been pregnant when they found out she could even get pregnant.

Like the rest of us??? I certainly didn't make that assumption when I adopted my 2. And even if the requirement wasn't built into the adoption agreement, I certainly would have asked. But that's me - I guess they didn't know enough about adopting to do the same. I'm not totally without empathy for them - I know how attached people become to their animals.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

If we are going to be judge and jury based on what someone from the SPCA posted on Facebook....then remember there are always two...or more...sides to every story ( but only one party here that is trying to cover their butts to reduce the bad PR )....also from the SPCA FB page.. And remember also that the SPCA has now come out with three different versions of this same story.

Senior citizens rescue a dog that was found up north, freezing and starving. Take her to their home in "southern bc" and nurse her back to health...in the mean time the "dog" gets pregnant and worrying about her safety in delivering the pups, the senior citizens go to the spca to see what help they can get. In order to recieve help from the spca they are told they have to sign papers to "surrender" their beloved "dog". The Mrs Senior citizen asks how they get her back after the pups are deleivered and is told they will have to reapply to get her back once the pups are done nursing. MRS. Senior Citizen applied in six weeks to get their beloved pet back and that is when they started getting the run around about getting her back. I do NOT believe that they were ever told that there was even a remote possibility that they would NEVER get their "pet" back. And then to be told that she (the dog) would require medication for the rest of her life and was going to live another 10 years and they were not... so she (their beloved pet) was given to someone else, who already bonded with her. No thought given to the fact that this Senior couple had bonded and nursed her back to health for the past 6 or 7 months. Did the spca inquire with the Senior couple if they could and were willing to pay the medical expenses the dogg would require??? No!! They assumed....and you know what happens when you Assume!! Shame shame shame on the spca for the way this was handled!
Old enough to care less.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Janalta, do you know the couple, or have any additional information above the news story and the FB statement? From the information generally available, I think most people see this as an unfortunate story of a couple who was unable to fully care for the dog, and not some malicious attempt to steal their dog away.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Why did they not go to a vet?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Re: SPCA..and you were complaining about the RDCO ??

Post by zookeeper »

The dog in question is a 2yr old Tibetan Terrier ...... "We are both 79 years of age...(the dog) likes lots of exercise, which is ok but now (she is) pregnant!! Seems too much for us to cope with at this time. Yes, it will get so much easier for them in their 80's and 90's

Following the intake, it became clear the the dog was not just pregnant, but in labour. Yes, didn't notice that? Didn't think to take it to a vet?

After a series of health checks with the Vet, it was identified that the dog has a chronic health condition Diabetes Insipidous that had gone untreated. Treatment would come at a cost of $1000 per year for the rest of her life, 15+ years. The foster family asked to adopt the dog permanently, and as they had both bonded with her over the last 2 months, and had the knowledge and financial means to provide the necessary care that she requires for the rest of her life,

15 plus years, they couldn't handle the animal's problems now!

janalta wrote:
Give me a break ! 79 year olds have pets for the same reason everyone else does....companionship, love. Selfish? They rescued a stray from up north and gave her a loving home. If anyone truly has the time, patience and love to give a pet, it is a senior.
This was not an unwanted pet for crying out loud

I stick with my original opinion, how selfish.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Gilchy wrote:Janalta, do you know the couple, or have any additional information above the news story and the FB statement? From the information generally available, I think most people see this as an unfortunate story of a couple who was unable to fully care for the dog, and not some malicious attempt to steal their dog away.

No, I don't. Do you happen to have any additional information about which of the SPCA's statements is true? Any information that would indicate exactly what this couple was truly led to believe when they took their pet in asking for help?

I don't see any indication that they were unable to fully care for their dog. They were worried about the safety of she and her pups and wanted help with that. There are many very loving and responsible pet owners who don't have the slightest idea what to do when a dog is whelping.
The dog did have vet care and there is also no indication that the owners were aware of the dog's diabetes...which may or may not even have been present before her pregnancy.
Old enough to care less.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Triple 6 wrote:Why did they not go to a vet?

I assume because it wasn't a medical emergency....and they thought the shelter was there to help pets???
Old enough to care less.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

of course they couldn't care for it- How did it get pregnant.. a Miracle?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

janalta wrote:I assume because it wasn't a medical emergency....and they thought the shelter was there to help pets???
They help pets by giving them to people who are likely capable of supporting pets. They are not a subsidy for those who didn't realize what a pet costs.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

I'm simply going to point out that when you adopt an animal from the SPCA, you get a free vet check up.

If this couple adopted their dog from an SPCA branch, why did they not go for their free vet appointment? If they had taken this dog for a check up when they first received her, they would have been told by the vet that the dog needed to be spayed.

I do not see how the SPCA is at fault for taking a dog from owners who surrendered her, who clearly had no idea what they were doing.

Sorry Janalta, I don't see anything to be outraged about.
Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ali Gator »

The responsible thing to do when you adopt a pet, no matter from where, is to get a vet check up. The dog must have gotten pregnant while in their care as they said they had the dog for 6 months. I feel very bad for the dog.
janalta
Übergod

Re: SPCA..and you were complaining about the RDCO ??

Post by janalta »

zookeeper wrote:The dog in question is a 2yr old Tibetan Terrier ...... "We are both 79 years of age...(the dog) likes lots of exercise, which is ok but now (she is) pregnant!! Seems too much for us to cope with at this time. Yes, it will get so much easier for them in their 80's and 90's

Following the intake, it became clear the the dog was not just pregnant, but in labour. Yes, didn't notice that? Didn't think to take it to a vet?

After a series of health checks with the Vet, it was identified that the dog has a chronic health condition Diabetes Insipidous that had gone untreated. Treatment would come at a cost of $1000 per year for the rest of her life, 15+ years. The foster family asked to adopt the dog permanently, and as they had both bonded with her over the last 2 months, and had the knowledge and financial means to provide the necessary care that she requires for the rest of her life,

15 plus years, they couldn't handle the animal's problems now!

I stick with my original opinion, how selfish.

Funny that the worker's at the shelter also didn't notice that the dog was going into labour until AFTER they had taken her in. You think maybe she hadn't started to show signs of larbor yet when the couple left their home? Stress can bring on labour more quickly. You are also simply believing what one anonymous poster on their FB page said.....do you know the dog was already in labour? Neither do I.

Do you have any proof that the couple was aware of the diabetes? That they were not treating a condition they knew about either because they didn't want to or couldn't afford to ? Did it ever occur to you that the condition was not caught by the couples vet yet...that it did not become a real issue until her pregnancy?
Do you, or the SPCA know that the dog's owners do not have the means to provide her medical care? NO, you don't.

Does the SPCA have some magical ball that allows them to see the exact life expectancy of animals...or humans ??? Nope, they don't.

I manage a complex with many seniors.....many well past 79 years of age. The majority of those seniors have pets and those animals want for nothing.
How dare you suggest that once a person is past a certain age they should not be allowed to share their lives with animals.
Old enough to care less.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Amarow121 wrote:I'm simply going to point out that when you adopt an animal from the SPCA, you get a free vet check up.

If this couple adopted their dog from an SPCA branch, why did they not go for their free vet appointment? If they had taken this dog for a check up when they first received her, they would have been told by the vet that the dog needed to be spayed.

I do not see how the SPCA is at fault for taking a dog from owners who surrendered her, who clearly had no idea what they were doing.

The couple never said they got the dog from the SPCA...and the dog was recieving veterinary care.
Old enough to care less.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Amarow121 wrote:

I suppose that all depends on who's story you choose to believe.
Old enough to care less.

Return to “Central Okanagan”