SPCA: And you were complaining about the RDCO?

Panzer130
Board Meister

Re: SPCA: and you were complaining about the RDCO?

Post by Panzer130 »

This story is a perfect example of why we need a SPCA!!!

Irresponsible and abusive pet owners who make poor decisions. These people were too irresponsible to get their new pet spayed so drop the burden on the SPCA. How dare they act so irresponsibly and expect the SPCA to just take over when the going is tough.

These people have clearly proven they do not have the mental capacity to handle the responsibility of pet ownership.
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

kibbs wrote:they got the dog from a shelter( did any one check their story or do you just call the liars) took the dog to a vet and found out it was sick and unspayed .they just needed help with the pups and then wanted their dog back .they were judged on their age.like old people cant have dogs .shame on the spca. whats with that shelter not knowing the dog wasn't spayed.even he admits he should have spayed the dog.We don't know his reasons for not doing it.I hope he gets another but better suited.

Well at least you're not jaded.
:200:
kloney

Post by kloney »

The SPCA is not there for people to drop off their pet for medical reasons. The SPCA has to contract anything "medical" out to veterinary hospitals which they foot the bill for. If these people "didn't have the time" to spay their dog, that is not the problem of the SPCA. You cannot surrender your animal, to have the SPCA take care of the problem, and then go back for the animal when everything is fixed. These people should not own an animal if they cannot care for it properly.

People are very quick to jump on the "the SPCA is horrible" bandwagon. But just like the dangerous dogs issues, maybe it is time people started to look at the irresponsible owners rather than putting the blame on the SPCA. I agree that these people should not get their dog back. What happens when that dog has other problems? Are they going to spay her now? Or wait until she gets pregnant again and drop her off for another visit? It costs a lot of money to properly care for an animal, and if you can't afford it, then you shouldn't have one.

Say what you will about the SPCA, but that organization does a lot of good for our furry friends. It is people like this couple that should be categorized with puppy mills and backyard breeders. If you don't spay or neuter, you will most likely end up with a problem or two. The SPCA is not there to clean up your mess. That is your responsibility as a pet owner. :purefury:
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

If they did in fact get the dog from 'another SPCA up north' - how was the dog adopted out without first being spayed? We've adopted 2 dogs from our local shelter - it was required (included in the adoption fee) that they be spayed/neutered first. Plus - a free vet check after adoption was also included. And yes, the news report yesterday said they 'didn't have time to get her spayed' - how much time does it take? You take her to the vet, pick her up when she's done, make sure she's OK after the surgery - yeah, that takes so much time. For those who criticize the SPCA for the scrutiny they apply to potential adopters - well, they do it for a very good reason. I can only speak for the shelter here - but they do a wonderful job.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Funny, two completely opposite stories but everyone is ready to jump on the SPCA bandwagon and call the elderly owners liars? The story printed on their web site isn't even the same thing they told reporters earlier !
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

I definitely wasn't suggesting the elderly couple were liars (as we all know, CHBC news doesn't always exactly present the 'facts').

I was questioning the processes at the original shelter in allowing the dog to be adopted out without being spayed, if in fact that is the case. And secondly, I was questioning the 'they didn't have time to get her spayed' comment. Again, no idea if either of those are the truth but that's what CHBC reported. Regardless, I stand by my support of the Shuswap SPCA and have nothing but respect for what they do.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Nooby wrote:I definitely wasn't suggesting the elderly couple were liars (as we all know, CHBC news doesn't always exactly present the 'facts').

I was questioning the processes at the original shelter in allowing the dog to be adopted out without being spayed, if in fact that is the case. And secondly, I was questioning the 'they didn't have time to get her spayed' comment. Again, no idea if either of those are the truth but that's what CHBC reported. Regardless, I stand by my support of the Shuswap SPCA and have nothing but respect for what they do.

Just one of the statements by the Kelowna SPCA that doesn't add up....no SPCA shelter adopts unspayed animals out.

The couple obviously misunderstood, or were mislead when they took their dog in....they simply wanted help with the whelping process to ensure that it all went well....that they would care for the dog until the pups were born safely They had no intentions of dumping a problem onto the SPCA or of getting rid of their dog.

That is when a friend suggested the SPCA could help them out. The couple brought Fifi to the Kelowna shelter where they signed papers to turn her over into the society’s care. However, Ardyth says they emphasized they wanted to re-adopt the dog after she finished giving birth.

Read it on Global News: CHBC Okanagan | Seniors claim age discrimination by Kelowna SPCA
Last edited by janalta on Dec 28th, 2012, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old enough to care less.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

janalta wrote:Funny, two completely opposite stories but everyone is ready to jump on the SPCA bandwagon and call the elderly owners liars?

I didn't call them liars, I called them irresponsible pet owners.

I hope they never get to have another dog.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Well I may be a little sensitive today, I am so tired of people "needing" pets they end up not wanting or can't take care of. There are lots of good homes out there that take on "special needs" pets (knowing the full responsibilities that come with them, including the heartaches). Without an opinion on the SPCA I have only one question, what in the name of dog does a 79 year old couple need any kind of freakin pet for?? IMHO how incredibly selfish.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Captain Awesome wrote:
I didn't call them liars, I called them irresponsible pet owners.

I hope they never get to have another dog.

Other posters did indeed call them liars. ( Carmencat )
And how is asking for help when your dog gives birth because you have never done it irresponsible ? Seems to me they were concerned about the health and safety of their dog and her pups.
They adopted a dog they assumed was spayed....and when their vet said she wasn't, yes they put off the surgery too long...but they hardly sound like irresponsible, neglegent pets owners.
Old enough to care less.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

zookeeper wrote:Well I may be a little sensitive today, I am so tired of people "needing" pets they end up not wanting or can't take care of. There are lots of good homes out there that take on "special needs" pets (knowing the full responsibilities that come with them, including the heartaches). Without an opinion on the SPCA I have only one question, what in the name of dog does a 79 year old couple need any kind of freakin pet for?? IMHO how incredibly selfish.

Give me a break ! 79 year olds have pets for the same reason everyone else does....companionship, love. Selfish? They rescued a stray from up north and gave her a loving home. If anyone truly has the time, patience and love to give a pet, it is a senior.
This was not an unwanted pet for crying out loud
Old enough to care less.
Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ali Gator »

I don't understand their reasoning for taking their dog to the SPCA. The poor dog would not understand why it was being brought there and the owners left? I also don't understand why the dog was not spayed in the first place if it came from another SPCA. I would never bring my pet to the SPCA just on the chance there could be a sick animal there.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

So was the dog a stray they took in? Or a pup they rescued from the SPCA up north? At the end of the news segment, it is said that they regret not spaying her. So I take that as they found her. A stray.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

janalta wrote:
Other posters did indeed call them liars. ( Carmencat )
And how is asking for help when your dog gives birth because you have never done it irresponsible ? Seems to me they were concerned about the health and safety of their dog and her pups.
They adopted a dog they assumed was spayed....and when their vet said she wasn't, yes they put off the surgery too long...but they hardly sound like irresponsible, neglegent pets owners.

Irresponsible = 'assuming' the dog was spayed, and when realizing she wasn't, 'putting off the surgery too long'. However, they definitely did the right thing by surrendering her once they realized she was pregnant.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Triple 6 wrote:So was the dog a stray they took in? Or a pup they rescued from the SPCA up north? At the end of the news segment, it is said that they regret not spaying her. So I take that as they found her. A stray.

They said they got her from a shelter up north in April...that she had been found as a stray.
Like the rest of us, they assumed all dogs coming from rescues are spayed before they are adopted out.
It was not until they took her to their vet that they found out she was not spayed....it does not say how long ago they found this out. For all we know, she could have already been pregnant when they found out she could even get pregnant.
Old enough to care less.

Return to “Central Okanagan”