No free rides, really?

djbout
Fledgling

No free rides, really?

Post by djbout »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#85240

I am older, I dont go "out" on New Years, but this flabbergasted me, really no free rides, did they not offer them in previous years? I know I know, nothing is for free, plan ahead, blah blah blah....but as far back as I can remeber from my youth in Vancouver and here there was free rides on New Years!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: No free rides, really?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Of the 130 municipalities that offer some kind of transit service on a regular basis, between 15 and 20 of those places offer some sort of extra service and or free rides, but Kelowna is not one of them.

“It’s definitely a municipal decision and in the case of Kelowna it would also be with the district of West Kelowna and Lake Country and everyone would have to come together and agree on what kind of service,” says Burton.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#85240
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

Thanks one 2 o, I know whoes decision it was, this was not meant to bash BC Transit, it was a "really" are you serious thread.....I have just always taken it for granted ( yes I just said that) that buses were free on New Years where ever I have lived....just seems kinda cheesey and cheap on our city!
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

It is not like a ride on the bus is expensive.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

I agree ... no reason they shouldn't offer free rides tonight. Penticton, Osoyoos and other towns in the Kootenays are offering free rides tonight.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Graphite wrote:It is not like a ride on the bus is expensive.

True, it's only $2.25 one way but the city is offering a Family friendly New Year's Eve celebration so why not make it easier for families to attend and offer free transit?

The free celebration runs from 6 to 9 p.m. but transfers are only good for 90 minutes which means families will have to pay the fare both ways.

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I agree, and was a bit shocked at this...
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

In Vancouver not only is it free, hours are extended to 5am Jan 1st.
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

Graphite wrote:It is not like a ride on the bus is expensive.

You are absolutey correct that rides are not expensive, and that is the point, if rides are not expensive why did our city see it fit not to pay? I have no objections to paying for peoples rides for one night, either to enjoy the New Years Eve's festivities for the evening or for even more importantly a safe ride home......
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

:200: Are you seriously sugessting the taxpayers should pay for that? sarcasam off now.
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

motorhomebabe wrote::200: Are you seriously sugessting the taxpayers should pay for that? sarcasam off now.

Where's the "like" button when you need one :)
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

If you can afford to go out on New Years Eve you can afford to either
    Arrange for a DD
    Pay for a cab
    Buy a bus ticket

Why should anyone else foot the bill because you want to get intoxicated and lose your ability to get home safely?
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

Tero wrote:If you can afford to go out on New Years Eve you can afford to either
    Arrange for a DD
    Pay for a cab
    Buy a bus ticket

Why should anyone else foot the bill because you want to get intoxicated and lose your ability to get home safely?

I have always seen it as a small gesture from our community to it's residents.....many events are free for families that otherwise could not afford them, a bus ride there was a token gift, yes a "gift"...and many people young and old could, would and will find themselves in a situation where they need a ride home with no cash in their pockets...yes, not smart, yes not "planned" but sometimes the best laid plans go awry and somehow that seems to happen alot on New Years, I may not go out anymore, but I certainly remember being young and unprepared...maybe you have ALWAYS just been smarter?

Oh and by the way someone else previously mentioned in this thread that Penticton is offering free rides this evening.....
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

djbout wrote:I have always seen it as a small gesture from our community to it's residents.....many events are free for families that otherwise could not afford them, a bus ride there was a token gift, yes a "gift"...and many people young and old could, would and will find themselves in a situation where they need a ride home with no cash in their pockets...yes, not smart, yes not "planned" but sometimes the best laid plans go awry and somehow that seems to happen alot on New Years, I may not go out anymore, but I certainly remember being young and unprepared...maybe you have ALWAYS just been smarter?

Oh and by the way someone else previously mentioned in this thread that Penticton is offering free rides this evening.....

Well awesome! I live in Penticton! I'm gonna head out to get *bleep* with no plan...
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

To the OP, yes, Kelowna did used to offer free bus service on NYE. I'm not sure when they stopped.

I thought it was a nice service to offer. If it keeps even one person from "chancing it" by drinking and driving, it's serviced it's purpose IMO. I do wonder how many people used it though...and with security on buses becoming more of an issue, I wonder if it was just deemed to be more trouble than it's worth.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Central Okanagan”