No free rides, really?

djbout
Fledgling

Re: No free rides, really?

Post by djbout »

JayByrd wrote:To the OP, yes, Kelowna did used to offer free bus service on NYE. I'm not sure when they stopped.

I thought it was a nice service to offer. If it keeps even one person from "chancing it" by drinking and driving, it's serviced it's purpose IMO. I do wonder how many people used it though...and with security on buses becoming more of an issue, I wonder if it was just deemed to be more trouble than it's worth.

The article stated it was NOT the decision of the transit company, it was the Cities.....I too wondered if unruly passengers were a factor but as per the article this was not mentioned as an issue. It would be interesting to find out how the City came to this decision and what factors played into it other than money, if any.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

Why don't we make cabs free too while we're at it?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Tero wrote:If you can afford to go out on New Years Eve you can afford to either
    Arrange for a DD
    Pay for a cab
    Buy a bus ticket

Why should anyone else foot the bill because you want to get intoxicated and lose your ability to get home safely?

Agreed.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

djbout wrote:You are absolutey correct that rides are not expensive, and that is the point, if rides are not expensive why did our city see it fit not to pay? I have no objections to paying for peoples rides for one night, either to enjoy the New Years Eve's festivities for the evening or for even more importantly a safe ride home......

Do you think that the City pays for each rider that rides the bus that evening or do you think they pay the transit company one flat rate for the evening? I am willing to bet it is the latter and it is probably not cheap. Times are tough, the purse strings are tightening!
Last edited by TreeGuy on Dec 31st, 2012, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

Snarf wrote:Why don't we make cabs free too while we're at it?

This thread is about buses, which have been free in the past, by all means why dont you start a thread about free taxi's...have at it.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Graphite wrote:It is not like a ride on the bus is expensive.

No, it's cheap. But the whole point of free rides on new years was to encourage transit use and keep drinking drivers off the road.

This is the first year I am aware of they will not do so. Can't really understand why either - it's kind of a tradition.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

I was disappointed to read that there were no free rides tonight. I used the service a few times in Vancouver and always thought it was a tradition on New Year's Eve. I wonder if the taxi companies had a say in this as I'm sure the free rides cut into their profits. Hopefully next year they will bring the free rides back.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Tero wrote:If you can afford to go out on New Years Eve you can afford to either
    Arrange for a DD
    Pay for a cab
    Buy a bus ticket

Why should anyone else foot the bill because you want to get intoxicated and lose your ability to get home safely?

Well, you're kind of a bummer eh?
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Sn0man wrote:Well, you're kind of a bummer eh?

Not really. I'd call myself responsible and realistic if anything. I've had some vino tonight... if I were going to do it anywhere but home I would have figured out ahead of time how to get here... it's part of being a responsible of age adult.
mxtaylor
Fledgling

Post by mxtaylor »

[/quote]
No, it's cheap. But the whole point of free rides on new years was to encourage transit use and keep drinking drivers off the road.

This is the first year I am aware of they will not do so. Can't really understand why either - it's kind of a tradition.[/quote]

a tradition? I have lived here since 2002 and there have never been free rides since then. not once
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I bet you couch has more than enough change for a bus pass.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Black Daisies wrote:I was disappointed to read that there were no free rides tonight. I used the service a few times in Vancouver and always thought it was a tradition on New Year's Eve. I wonder if the taxi companies had a say in this as I'm sure the free rides cut into their profits. Hopefully next year they will bring the free rides back.

I would venture this had nothing to do with the taxi companies. Free buses or not, it wouldn't cut into their revenue for the night at all being that they can't keep up as it is. It's not like any of them have extra cars just sitting around waiting for fares on NYE. That was one of the points of the free buses... there's not enough taxis to go around, so the buses offered a safe alternative.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Arrange for a DD
    Pay for a cab
    Buy a bus ticket

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

It was not just the free rides the bus,s also ran later for when people were going home. Something that is not normally scheduled. Them not doing it anymore , just says, We are too worried about the budget, to share any perks with you who oays our wages.... Big razzy award to them.
Was at the skating rink, very well attended, rode my bike of course.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

While I do agree with the city for not footing the bill for free rides this year, I am surprised to hear the buses did not run later last night.

Perhaps it has something to do with driver safety?

Return to “Central Okanagan”