600 new jobs in Kelowna

sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: 600 new jobs in Kelowna

Post by sooperphreek »

MAPearce wrote:A new position... Our shop is very busy at the moment with booked projects in to June so far !

And you probably pay about 5 dollars an hour less for said tradesman embracing the so called sunshine tax. While it is better than a part time job it is still not great.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

sooperphreek wrote:And you probably pay about 5 dollars an hour less for said tradesman embracing the so called sunshine tax. While it is better than a part time job it is still not great.

And no overtime, so prolly stuck working crappy 8 hours a day. And layoffs. Meh.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

sooperphreek wrote:And you probably pay about 5 dollars an hour less for said tradesman embracing the so called sunshine tax.

Or less, which seems to be the MO of employers in the Okanagan.

It'll come back to bite them sooner than later though.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

NAB wrote:What's more important to track is the unemployment rate IMO. Let us know when we have recovered to where we were in 2007/08 or better.

That's still not an accurate measure. Statscan does not discern between full-time and part-time employment in their unemployment rate. Unemployed workers that were previously full-time and then hired part-time are still counted as employed (which they are). Inversely, I believe statscan also only counts those on EI or some form of assistance as "unemployed". It would be nice if Statscan would release some granular stats - size of workforce and number of employment hours.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Sn0man wrote:Or less, which seems to be the MO of employers in the Okanagan.

It'll come back to bite them sooner than later though.

Many of us have been saying that, but it never has. Maybe the cycle will end some time soon but I doubt it - the Okanagan is just "cheap" as far as valuing employees is concerned, in every sector and in type of work. "People" are just disposable junk, to be conveniently used and abused at will, at as cheaper cost as possible. Perfect capitalism, really, without the market advantage of size and opportunity.

To beat the Okanagan system, you have to break the cycle, avoid relying on it, and eject yourself from it, and head in a better direction where your skills and experience and work ethic is worth a hella lot more to the employer.
AB oil patch worker
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

joer2012 wrote:To beat the Okanagan system, you have to break the cycle, avoid relying on it, and eject yourself from it, and head in a better direction where your skills and experience and work ethic is worth a hella lot more to the employer.

I work from home for a firm with offices in Kamloops and Burnaby. Home is in Kelowna. I think I'm doing quite well, and it has broken the cycle for me.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

And you probably pay about 5 dollars an hour less for said tradesman embracing the so called sunshine tax. While it is better than a part time job it is still not great.

That's about right ...But Kelowna is as "north " as I want to go to do my kinda work....The climate here IS better than up there and who'd wanna live in the Lower Mainland ?? Not me.

And no overtime, so prolly stuck working crappy 8 hours a day. And layoffs. Meh.

NOT true at all...LOTS of overtime , pay included. No lay offs in sight with none over the last 4 years.

And I like 6:30 am to 3 pm shifts.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

love how the guy says his outfit hired one person , then everyone else is quick to cut it down saying it must be a low paying part time position. lol theres positive thinking for ya lol ..

look most of us know the wages here r weak . thats why i encourage ppl to think outside the box . find alternate ways to pay the bills . maybe an hourly wage is not worth going to work . i prefer piece work my self . it all depends on who a person is and the confidence they can present to others .

be a leader do your own things and i bet u end up alot happier than someone who works for a wage.

there is no reason to stay at a dead end job.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

And I don't do the hiring , firing , or dish out the pay....

Code: Select all

sooper freak is just bitter that the truck plant closed and lost his "do nothing " over paid job..

We got that dead weight at our shop too...Worth every thing they DON"T get...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

I get complaints daily from contractors that they just can not hire anyone decent to do the job. BTW, the job is home construction. There is lots of work, if you know anything about any aspect of home construction.

AND these are not minimum wage paying jobs, these contractors are willing to pay top $$$$ for good people. Everything from framers to tile-setters. There is Tonnes of work for those that want it.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i got ripped off lots in home construction here admittedly it wasnt my first choice in jobs but i have never been so disapointed . guys would promise u good money but it never came
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

the problem is that the people that hire and expect too much want someone who will run the company and do their job. even though you were initially hired as a tradesman. i guess they wanna just sip on ice wine at big white with their friends in winter and play golf in the summer. while making you work the 16 hour days (that is actually their job) putting out the fires of their laziness. in the end we leave and they find some poor sucker that will do it for less. and their customers get the shabby job they deserve for more costs. why? because they can. but then you walk away and become the competition. and they walk around saying that you are stealing their work. and wont take responsibility for the fact that they took their eye off the ball.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

sooperphreek wrote:the problem is that the people that hire and expect too much want someone who will run the company and do their job. even though you were initially hired as a tradesman. i guess they wanna just sip on ice wine at big white with their friends in winter and play golf in the summer. while making you work the 16 hour days (that is actually their job) putting out the fires of their laziness. in the end we leave and they find some poor sucker that will do it for less. and their customers get the shabby job they deserve for more costs. why? because they can. but then you walk away and become the competition. and they walk around saying that you are stealing their work. and wont take responsibility for the fact that they took their eye off the ball.

Finally someone else sees what I've been seeing for the last ten years!!!!
Sure do love Rutland!!
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

sooperphreek wrote:the problem is that the people that hire and expect too much want someone who will run the company and do their job. even though you were initially hired as a tradesman. i guess they wanna just sip on ice wine at big white with their friends in winter and play golf in the summer. while making you work the 16 hour days (that is actually their job) putting out the fires of their laziness. in the end we leave and they find some poor sucker that will do it for less. and their customers get the shabby job they deserve for more costs. why? because they can. but then you walk away and become the competition. and they walk around saying that you are stealing their work. and wont take responsibility for the fact that they took their eye off the ball.

True that. And the tales of contractors whining that new Joe of Joe Trades Inc has stolen their gigs and bidding 20% under their over inflated take-it-for-granted rates. True story. No place for the price gouging Okanagan fat cats any more, and the comment about absent business owners is spot on. Time to sell your 2009 Porsche and Silver Star condo - you are done like last weeks Chinese take out. Go retire or get a retail job and let the hungry, hard working, customer focused new guys take over.
AB oil patch worker
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:I get complaints daily from contractors that they just can not hire anyone decent to do the job. BTW, the job is home construction. There is lots of work, if you know anything about any aspect of home construction.

AND these are not minimum wage paying jobs, these contractors are willing to pay top $$$$ for good people. Everything from framers to tile-setters. There is Tonnes of work for those that want it.

I have been setting tile since I was ten years old. Here's a clue - thats a lot of years ago. You think I want to set tile in the Okanagan for $18/hour? And have me run around at your beck and call and pretty much run most of your business for you as I clean up your mess, make amends to your customers for your lack of business smarts, with no overtime and a laundry list of excuses and broken promises?

Screw that. $35/hour minimum required plus overtime after 8, 3 weeks vacation, 12 hour days, and a decent setup.
In exchange, is my full commitment, dedication, reliability, quality of service, I will treat your customers like they were my own, good guy to work with and no security or trust issues. Will work anywhere required, travel not an issue, and able to work on public holidays or weekends

Any takers? Thought not.
AB oil patch worker

Return to “Central Okanagan”