600 new jobs in Kelowna

Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: 600 new jobs in Kelowna

Post by Joe Public »

There is no way 600 jobs were created in Kelowna. StatCan is reporting federally that 600 jobs were created in all of BC. This is just more Liberal lies leading into the next election.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

wouldnt it be great if there was a purgery law against political parties?
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Not to mention that a lot of these people hired on for Christmas are now either laid off or have had their hours and income cut in half.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Maybe 600 full time Father Christmases/Mommy Christmases in Kelowna in December?

lol....stats fail

Seriously, there isn't 600 decent jobs in all of Kelowna
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
zyzzx
Fledgling

Post by zyzzx »

personal attacks removed/trip
Doing drugs supports crime. Are you happy that you support crime? Just think how much society would save if you didn't support the criminals that are producing drugs. Medicinal? Good on you! That is why the Doctor gave you a prescription.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Sorry.

My mistake above in thinking the 600 jobs figure came from StatsCan. I was both excited to see how there may have been so many full-time jobs come available here and disappointed because I’d obviously missed seeing where they were all advertised—considering my daily routine of scanning the job ads from several sources.

So, this morning, as usual I went to the WorkBC site and plugged in Kelowna to note today there are 166 job listing in total going back to Dec 17. I plugged ‘full-time’ in as a search term and got 38 full time jobs going back to Oct. 17. A quick san told me that approximately 22 of those jobs came listed in December. So, does that mean there may have been around 580 more jobs go through that site in December, and how I could have missed seeing them?

Also, I wonder now where the BC Ministry of Jobs got their stats, and if there really were 600 full-time jobs come available in Kelowna in December. And, if there were, would WorkBC have actively campaigned the employers to list those jobs on the WorkBC site? As well, would WorkBC now have tabs on the employers who may not have advertised with them in December, and now be actively campaigning them to consider advertising with Work BC in the future? Could there be a big disconnect between what becomes available for the Ministry to tabulate as stats after the fact and what gets advertised in advance on the WorkBC site?

Can anyone, here, answer my questions? And, if not, does anyone here think our MLA and / or our Minister might answer them if I sent them in an e-mail?

Here’s a rough copy of the BC Ministry of Jobs news release to go with the story on Castanet:

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2013JTST0001-000007.pdf

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release 2013JTST0001-000007

Jan. 4, 2013

Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Responsible for Labour

B.C. economy remains strong and steady at close of 2012

VICTORIA – At the close of 2012, British Columbia’s job growth remains strong and steady with a gain of 600 new jobs last month and a drop in the unemployment rate to 6.5 per cent.

In December 2012, B.C. gained 4,300 full-time positions. Regionally, Vancouver Island and Coast gained 3,300 positions, the Kootenays gained 800 positions, the North Coast and Nechako region gained 400 positions and the Northeast gained 300. Of B.C.’s main metropolitan areas, Kelowna reported a gain of 600 jobs and Victoria gained 1,500.

The construction sector continues to experience steady growth, showing strong gains of 14,800 jobs last month. Other areas of job growth include educational services (+12,000 jobs) and wholesale and retail trade (+6,900).

B.C.’s average hourly wage rate in December was up by 2.2 per cent compared with December 2011. For B.C. youth under 25, the average hourly wage in December was up by 5.8 per cent over last year.

Since December 2011, B.C. has added 19,400 jobs as a result of a gain of 30,800 full-time positions combined with a loss of 11,400 part-time positions. With 19,400 job gains since December 2011, B.C. ranks fourth compared to other provinces, behind Quebec (+138,000 jobs), Ontario (+100,300 jobs) and Alberta (+31,800 jobs).

Quotes:

Pat Bell, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour –
“We are living in challenging economic times, but government has a solid plan in place to help ensure that B.C.’s economy remains strong and steady and that the province continues to attract new investors and businesses.”

“Government continues to invest in infrastructure and programs that will help British Columbians gain the skills they need to take advantage of the many job opportunities available in communities throughout the province. Continued progress in job creation this month demonstrates that B.C. remains on the right path.”

Quick Facts:

Since August 2011, B.C. has added 42,400 jobs and ranks fourth in job gains compared to other provinces, after Ontario (+110,400 jobs), Quebec (+79,200) and Alberta (+54,400 jobs).

The estimated investment for all major projects currently under construction – projects ranging from shipbuilding to natural gas, mining to manufacturing and transportation to commercial/residential development – is approximately $80 billion, an increase of $11.7 billion since June 2011.

$48 billion is projected to be invested in liquid natural gas (LNG) alone between 2013 and 2022.

Two mines have begun production, one is under construction and three more have received permits with construction expected to start this year. Five mine expansions have been permitted.

Venture capital investment grew by 71 per cent compared to the same period in 2011, the largest gain in the country.

Learn More:

Visit B.C.’s one-stop working resource: http://www.workbc.ca

Canada Starts Here: The BC Jobs Plan: http://www.bcjobsplan.ca

Media Contact:

Government Communications and Public Engagement
Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training
250 356-8177

Connect with the Province of B.C. at: http://www.gov.bc.ca/connect
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

the truth wrote:6 ,new jobs yes , 6oo not

Ya and those were at McD's
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Wow !!! I didnt know there were that many new fast food joints in town !!
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Yeah if there were 600 new decent paying jobs for skilled trades people lets say , it's probably because at least 600 left there last year to pursue proper wages and a more comfy life style.
Sure do love Rutland!!
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Alright, I got the calculator out and tried to crunch the numbers in the BC news release I posted above from http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2013JTST0001-000007.pdf, and, as NAB suggests in this thread at http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48420#p1402896
it looks like the BC Government is saying there was a gain of 600 full time positions over the whole year. BS baffles brains I suppose—not that I claim to have any brains to baffle.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

We hired one of those 600....

And it's a ticketed trades job.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

MAPearce wrote:We hired one of those 600....

And it's a ticketed trades job.

Was it a new position or replacing someone that left?
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

A new position... Our shop is very busy at the moment with booked projects in to June so far !
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

What I don't understand is, if they know there are 600 new jobs, why can't they say what and where they are?
The same with Canada. 40,000 new jobs in December. They know they are full time not part time, then why don't they tell us what and where they are ?
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Didn't the statscan information indicate they were most everywhere except BC, Alberta, and Nova Scotia? With the vast majority of them (33,000) in Ontario? We'll see how many of them permanently stick through this next year cause monthly stats are relatively meaningless, and the way the BC government spins them even more meaningless.

Edit to add: What's more important to track is the unemployment rate IMO. Let us know when we have recovered to where we were in 2007/08 or better.

The Canadian economy created more jobs than economists expected in December.

40,000 new jobs were created last month. Good enough to drop the unemployment rate by one-tenth of a percentage point
to 7.1 per cent.

Kelowna's unemployment rate dropped as well as more people found work. The rate is down from 7.8 per cent in November to 7.5 per cent in December.

Manitoba 5.2%, Sask. 4.6%, Alberta 4.5%, BC 6.5%, Kelowna 7.5%, Nanaimo 4.4%, Victoria 5.4%, Calgary 4.2%, Vancouver 6.2%.

Nab

Return to “Central Okanagan”