Proposed sports complex

xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Proposed sports complex

Post by xjeepguy »

Hassel99 wrote:Exact wording of the referendum still has to be adopted with the new numbers in place.

I am typicaly all for progress and support the push towards addtional avenues for sports and actvities, but i can not get behind this with my current level of understanding. I have 2 concerns

1) We have a sports field at Polson Park that is empty every time i drive by. Why would we spend this kind of money when existing infrastructure is not utilized. Is Polson park not suitable for the needs of the community ? if not what would be the cost to upgrade it to acceptable levels?

2) I am concerned about the proposed location. If you think this complex will bring more money into the town via tournaments and additional visitors, would it not be wise to build it close to local business which could actually benefit from close proximity to the increase traffic? For example the under unitized land near Kin Park next to the Westbuild center might be a better location when considering the larger economic implications. ( i have no idea who owns this land)

I welcome your input on this matter.

Instead , build Vernon's version of Kelowna's H2O Complex . It would be an instant hit !

That sports complex is about as stupid of an idea as it gets for our area .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
ole smelly
Fledgling

Post by ole smelly »

This community badly needs a regulation athletics complex and proper facilities to hold sports/wedding banquets( not the smelly olde bingo, army/navy, halls ) It would be nice to have a proper facility like MacArthur island. how many of use peoples have been to the elementary /school district track meets ?? They are a MASSIVE thing for community spirit.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

that is used a few times a year.....whereas a complex like the H2O would be used year round.....and give Everyone, of all ages, something to enjoy instead of a select few
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Hassel99 wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-

I am typicaly all for progress and support the push towards addtional avenues for sports and actvities, but i can not get behind this with my current level of understanding. I have 2 concerns

1) We have a sports field at Polson Park that is empty every time i drive by. Why would we spend this kind of money when existing infrastructure is not utilized. Is Polson park not suitable for the needs of the community ? if not what would be the cost to upgrade it to acceptable levels?

2) I am concerned about the proposed location. If you think this complex will bring more money into the town via tournaments and additional visitors, would it not be wise to build it close to local business which could actually benefit from close proximity to the increase traffic? For example the under unitized land near Kin Park next to the Westbuild center might be a better location when considering the larger economic implications. ( i have no idea who owns this land)

I welcome your input on this matter.

I'm not certain that the sport facilities at Polson Park could be expanded enough to be suitable for the complex that is "needed" without ruining a gem in our city. Polson Park has been chipped away at already by road expansion. If anything P.P. needs to be protected and improved upon as a growing city needs more such green space not less.

Having said this I agree 100% that the proposed location isn't the best place in town for this complex. I know that the horse racing crowd won't agree but putting this complex at Kin Park area makes much more sense for many reasons. Move the under utilized horse track further out. O'keefe Ranch has been suggested here. Many others reasons have been discussed throughout this topic. We need a great track and sport complex more central to town and not on the outskirts of town at the height of land!!!!

I haven't seen a discussion on other areas that may also be suitable. Was the Marshal Field area looked at?
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

juz516 wrote:that is used a few times a year.....whereas a complex like the H2O would be used year round.....and give Everyone, of all ages, something to enjoy instead of a select few

That pool is packed 7 days a week , it can be enjoyed and used by all and yes an H2O type pool would be a hit . A running track , give me a break :dyinglaughing:
ole smelly
Fledgling

Post by ole smelly »

A running track , give me a break

May I ask then how do we hold a track meet ?? Where are our future track stars train? Where are the elementary meets going to take place ???
ford150

Post by ford150 »

ole smelly wrote:This community badly needs a regulation athletics complex and proper facilities to hold sports/wedding banquets( not the smelly olde bingo, army/navy, halls ) It would be nice to have a proper facility like MacArthur island. how many of use peoples have been to the elementary /school district track meets ?? They are a MASSIVE thing for community spirit.

ROFLMAO (rolling on floor laughing my a$$ off) It would be nice to have solid gold park benches also. Good one
ford150

Post by ford150 »

May I ask then how do we hold a track meet ?? Where are our future track stars train? Where are the elementary meets going to take place ???[/quote]

How about the school field like they have been doing for the past hundred years?
Track stars good one. Name three with out google.
Ill start Ben Johnson now theres a star.
Steroid monkeys running in circles ROFLMAO
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

A running track , give me a break [/quote]

May I ask then how do we hold a track meet ?? Where are our future track stars train? Where are the elementary meets going to take place ???[/quote]

OK I have been a resident of Vernon since 1965 and A tax payer since 1973 and i have NEVER EVER heard of any noteable Vernon Track stars or the sudden need for a track and field complex
ole smelly
Fledgling

Post by ole smelly »

Chantelle Deacon is a grad of VAC and is now competing in Div , many others competed in the kelowna ( july !st weekend and Kelowna and Langley meets ) with qualifications to Hershey Pa. These track events are not just kid events there is a master series.

Every child grades 1-grade seven in a Vernon elementary skool will use that track. Like others I do NOT like the location of proposed facility . The problem with Marshall field is proximity to airport it cannot use lights.

The polson park retro ala camden yards with a sunken field and track would have work most excellent with banquet facilities for wedding etc.

Those that are whinning do you propose we end the current elementary track and field series, and put the time and effort in getting competitive fart blowing into the skool district #22 curriculum??

People please give yer head a shake support your local athletes, the sacrifices their parents make is painful.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

So...every school grades 1-7 will load their kids up on buses and take them up the hill or across town to the "sports complex"? Do you really think that will happen? Most kids that do really well in a sport look to a coach for specialized training as they progress. Are there such coaches ie., able to take them to "the next level", in Vernon? Maybe so, but most parents with talented kids put out to make sure they get the best training.
Yes, the swimming pool is packed daily...it is cramped, outdated and cold (air). How many kids excell in swimming that would benefit from a new acquatic centre? I went one time only....and will never go back because there wasn't enough space for smaller kids....the mid range kids took over and were not careful on what they were doing....and the "hot tub" was over capacity.
These, I believe, are the things that need to be weighed out before something is built that will be a "dinosaur" in a couple years at the taxpayers' expense. IMO
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

juz516 wrote:So...every school grades 1-7 will load their kids up on buses and take them up the hill or across town to the "sports complex"? Do you really think that will happen? Most kids that do really well in a sport look to a coach for specialized training as they progress. Are there such coaches ie., able to take them to "the next level", in Vernon? Maybe so, but most parents with talented kids put out to make sure they get the best training.
Yes, the swimming pool is packed daily...it is cramped, outdated and cold (air). How many kids excell in swimming that would benefit from a new acquatic centre? I went one time only....and will never go back because there wasn't enough space for smaller kids....the mid range kids took over and were not careful on what they were doing....and the "hot tub" was over capacity.
These, I believe, are the things that need to be weighed out before something is built that will be a "dinosaur" in a couple years at the taxpayers' expense. IMO

sounds like we need a new swim pool complex a lot lot worse than a track and field.However the pool is not near as crowded
as u ascertain in many other times of the day? have you thought about going at a lower useage time?
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

ole smelly wrote:Chantelle Deacon is a grad of VAC and is now competing in Div , many others competed in the kelowna ( july !st weekend and Kelowna and Langley meets ) with qualifications to Hershey Pa. These track events are not just kid events there is a master series.

Every child grades 1-grade seven in a Vernon elementary skool will use that track. Like others I do NOT like the location of proposed facility . The problem with Marshall field is proximity to airport it cannot use lights.

The polson park retro ala camden yards with a sunken field and track would have work most excellent with banquet facilities for wedding etc.

Those that are whinning do you propose we end the current elementary track and field series, and put the time and effort in getting competitive fart blowing into the skool district #22 curriculum??

People please give yer head a shake support your local athletes, the sacrifices their parents make is painful.

U have given one example? We can not be spending this kind of money which all has to be borrowed because of a FEW possible (potential)track stars. You show me that we have 1000 school kids wanting to use track and field system as part of their everyday life and i would vote in favour.problem is there is not even a 100.spending this large and all borrowed money makes no sence to satsify a very very few people
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I remember one of our city councilors, years ago, trying to tell us during an election campaign that Vernon had the best sporting facilities in the southern interior. I just about fell over. I had seen McArthur Island at Kamloops and the huge area that was dedicated to sports facilities. Kamloops has had it right for decades. What a great place. And yes, I considered moving there once, but my job was here. We had a chance to duplicate McArthur Island, or come close, when Marshall Fields came into the city, but a huge chunk of that land went to developers....... as per usual.

This city needs to catch up. We need these facilities to be built. Have a look at McArthur Island below.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=McArthur+ ... a=N&tab=wl
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

bob vernon wrote: I had seen McArthur Island at Kamloops and the huge area that was dedicated to sports facilities. Kamloops has had it right for decades. What a great place. And yes, I considered moving there once, but my job was here.

Would you have changed your name to Bob Kamloops ?

Return to “Central Okanagan”