Übergod

Re: Crossroads Closing

Post by theyeti »

ya my thoughts too +1
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Just wondering how much the directors and executives are pulling out of this business.

Sure on paper, it's a not for profit, but wages and expenses above the line, several people on over $100k plus salary on costs, CPP, etc, various expenses and "fees" etc adds up to a lot of disguised overhead.

We remember the reported story of the hard times being faced at Kelowna Foodbank, then we were told the director was pulling enough cash to make a junior government minister envious.

Maybe the same deal here. Boo hoo we require more funding. Harsh times for everyone, therefore costs have to be trimmed and fat burned off the carcass.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

theyeti wrote:no the other spa like places r quite a bit nicer . but u get what u pay for . some ppl dont have 15k when they r looking to dry out

So Crossroads was offering an inferior product, either in conditions or results, and could not compete on a level playing surface. They were forced rely soley on government subsidies for the facilities existence, and they couldn't even make it on that.
The people that need the help seem to be able to some how feed their addictions yet suddenly expect the tax payers to care and cure them at no cost to the addict and no requirement to repay the cost of their treatment. They created their own hell yet expect others to feel sorry enough for them to cure them free of charge. Maybe that $15k clean up fee should be added to their taxes until it is slowly paid back? By getting this treatment for free there is no incentive not to relapse and thus create revolving door facilities. People need to realize personal accountability, even on a small scale, not just totally rely on the system to pick them up every time they hit a bump in the road.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

WhatThe wrote:You know, it's pretty obvious why places like cross roads are forced to close, people are bleeping idiots. Reading this thread proves it. Unions? Pay money back? I'm so *bleep* ashamed to have some of you as neighbours and you are the biggest reason the problems are as significant as they, you're ignorant know it alls that know absolutely nothing. *bleep* I hate people, might as well be living back in Roman times and applaud gladiator games you *bleep* Neanderthals.

Why don't you fund the facility? Why should taxpayers foot 100% of the bill for bad personal choices made by individuals?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

taxpayers pay either way ..
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

theyeti wrote:ya my thoughts too +1

The answer is simple. If you want to see such facilities available then write a cheque.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

drug addicts that have money tend not to cause much in the way of problems
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

cv23 wrote:So Crossroads was offering an inferior product, either in conditions or results, and could not compete on a level playing surface. They were forced rely soley on government subsidies for the facilities existence, and they couldn't even make it on that.
The people that need the help seem to be able to some how feed their addictions yet suddenly expect the tax payers to care and cure them at no cost to the addict and no requirement to repay the cost of their treatment. They created their own hell yet expect others to feel sorry enough for them to cure them free of charge. Maybe that $15k clean up fee should be added to their taxes until it is slowly paid back? By getting this treatment for free there is no incentive not to relapse and thus create revolving door facilities. People need to realize personal accountability, even on a small scale, not just totally rely on the system to pick them up every time they hit a bump in the road.

This isn't unrealistic at all, but will probably be savaged by fluffy liberals and the leftist crowd who want the public to fund everything that deviants and addicts and weak willed people get up to in their bizarre lives. The tax pot grows bigger as does the list of excuses and social crutches used to defend deviant behavior.

At a rough guess, every third person in the Okanagan has substance abuse issues, to some extent. Yes, that wonderful Okanagan lifestyle really cuts it.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

crossroads was taking the most vulnerable . dont get me wrong it was not perfect . but the service it offered is needed . and much cheaper to the tax paying public than letting these ppl go . they become low level sneak thieves and such when that happens . then we have to jail them or probate them . u think thats cheap ?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

joer2012 wrote:Boo hoo we require more funding. Harsh times for everyone, therefore costs have to be trimmed and fat burned off the carcass.

Wanna bet that union staff at union wages shovel the snow, cut the lawns, do the laundry, wash the dishes, etc, etc?
Why couldn't those receiving free treatment help out with such menial things in an effort to reduce overheads and keep the facility open?
Why should a bad personal choice mean a free ride?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

im all for that make ppl earn it . thats a good idea

i think alot of ppl only stayed a crossroads a few days tho and then went to other programs or homes etc .. not sure about that tho
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

theyeti wrote:im all for that make ppl earn it . thats a good idea

But the unions would never allow such things yet they are among the first ones to cry when a facility closes due to high overheads.
Also wanna bet that every TV in the place has cable? More unnecessary and costly fluff
Last edited by cv23 on Jan 10th, 2013, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Suggesting that mental illness is somehow self created just shows how stupid some of you really are. Every authority that deals with this issue is in agreement about that and if you think you know better, well, you're just an idiot.

And I do pay for these facilitates by paying taxes, I don't pay taxes for sculptures , or lavish trips for politicians or all the bureaucratical BS that we pay for. I pay for healthcare and education, the idiots among us would rather spend it on prisons when the former would keep 3/4 out of prison. Those are the facts.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Christ, now some of you want patients to shovel the side walks and take out the garbage? Unbelievable.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

WhatThe wrote:Suggesting that mental illness is somehow self created just shows how stupid some of you really are. Every authority that deals with this issue is in agreement about that and if you think you know better, well, you're just an idiot.

And I do pay for these facilitates by paying taxes, I don't pay taxes for sculptures , or lavish trips for politicians or all the bureaucratical BS that we pay for. I pay for healthcare and education, the idiots among us would rather spend it on prisons when the former would keep 3/4 out of prison. Those are the facts.

So glad to have a full fledged doctor in the conversation. Where did you get your medical degree at?
Just how do you get around not paying for these things Dr?

Return to “Central Okanagan”