Crossroads Closing

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Crossroads Closing

Post by kibbs »

Crossroads was not working because it didn't bring in enough money and was not successful enough to warrant its continuation,the writing was on the wall but they did nothing to change.Resorts for the wasted do little to address what addicts lack.The inner fortitude to battle their personal demons.Most of us manage but some need help finding that strength.i don't believe a dry out resort can do this.Programs should resemble mental and physical boot camps.i wonder how much easier it would be to control your substance use if you knew rehab would be having to get into good mental and physical condition.Healthy body healthy mind.
Last edited by kibbs on Jan 20th, 2013, 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

cv23 wrote:Could you point out where crossroads funding is being axed or even cut in some way? From all the information I've read IH is willing to continue to fund Crossroads and it is Crossroads themselves who simply can't operate within the budget provided them. No evil governments bean counters cutting them short as easy prey just a business who can not operate within the funds made available to them.

I don't have access to all the numbers any more than you do cv23, it just seems to me that as the hands on the pursestrings of government funding that it would be up to IH to see that facilities like this have sufficient funds to operate effectively. "Setting a budget" is fine as long as it allows for realistic levels of service. Somewhere in this situation there is a gap between what IH says it can supply and what Crossroads says it needs to stay open, so they either need more money or they need to spend less. Basic math. If IH has good reason to set the bar where they have then maybe it's up to Crossroads to tighten their belts, but if IH has set that level arbitrarily just to save money, and that level of funding does not allow for effective operation then in my opinion they are not fulfilling their role in the bigger healthcare picture.

With regards to the evil government beancounters, some forty plus years of watching government function in this province have left me with the feeling that our system is broken and in need of major repair. I've watched our social safety net deteriorate as cutbacks in healthcare and education constantly give way to richer and richer contracts for elected officials and government employees, yet issues of inefficiency and redundancy within the system got unaddressed. Getting the government job or contract, or getting elected to public office has become synonymous with "easy money" and the system will ultimately fail. What we are seeing in little corners of the province like Crossroads are indications of just this. Let's scoop a few bucks away from those who are least able to put up a fight and keep the money flowing to the fat cats in Victoria. Cynical? You bet. What other conclusion can be drawn?
Last edited by fluffy on Jan 20th, 2013, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote: If IH has good reason to set the bar where they have then maybe it's up to Crossroads to tighten their belts,

Bingo !!!
They say they are facing stiff competition from "spa-like" competitors. Why are they trying to compete with other businesses and not focus their attentions strictly on providing the "essential" services they are contracted to provide? I would guess that the supposedly "lowest members of our society" and IH care more about providing treatment than providing a stay at spa. Maybe because they just get money provided to them rather than work for it they have let their cost get out of control.
There is no evil empire here depriving those in need, quite the opposite. The government is and has always provided funding to Crossroads.
You have all jumped on the government and IH as being the bad guys in this situation yet won't even consider the possibility that the operation of Crossroads may be a significant part of the problem.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote: Getting the government job or contract, or getting elected to public office has become synonymous with "easy money" and the system will ultimately fail. What we are seeing in little corners of the province like Crossroads are indications of just this.

Isn't Crossroads under "government contract" to provide services?
Maybe you finally answered the question why Crossroads is in the financial trouble it is?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You can't be sure of that any more than I can, we just don't have the numbers at our disposal. Unless I miss my guess, not every patient at Crossroads is there under total government sponsorship. Applications are made for funding and if you qualify you get in, while other patients of more considerable financial means are able to bypass the funding in favour of self support, or a combination of the two. My guess is that it is these non-subsidized patients leaving in favour of the "spa type" facilities that is resulting in the financial hardship. Trying to compete with the spas would be an unrealistic goal for Crossroads as the money that would need to be spent on upgrading the "hospitality" end of the facility can be better used in the actual treatment. There is also the possibility that the ratio of "paying" customers to subsidized customers is shifting because gov't funding is getting harder and harder to come by.

It would be interesting to have a closer look at a couple of other factors as well, treatment methods and success rates.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

cv23 wrote:Isn't Crossroads under "government contract" to provide services?
Maybe you finally answered the question why Crossroads is in the financial trouble it is?

I'm just trying to cover all the possibilities. As I've said a couple of times, we don't have the information to draw any conclusions on the financial situation. It's not like I've never seen anyone get complacent in a government job, but it would be unfair to assume that is what is going on here without more insight.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

http://www.xrdstc.net/fees/

Women’s Single Rooms
Accommodations include a private bedroom with access to shared washroom facilities.
$250.00/Night

Men’s Double Rooms
Accommodations include a two person, shared room with shared washroom facilities.
$200.00/Night

New Deluxe Apartment style rooms are now open. Rate of $325 per night.

*Government funded beds and subsidies available; contact the Admissions staff for details and eligibility.

Medicard offers a simple and affordable way to finance your medical care and allows you to immediately acquire the care you desire.

1-888-689-9876

www.medicard.com

Crelogix offers a simple and affordable way to finance your medical care and allows you to immediately acquire the care you desire.

1-877-621-8686

www.crelogix.com/apply
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote: It's not like I've never seen anyone get complacent in a government job, but it would be unfair to assume that is what is going on here without more insight.

You and others have jumped on the government for not providing more/enough funding without any information on the subject yet now when the operation of the facility providing the service, under government contract which you claim is considered "easy money", is questioned you want more info?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote:Trying to compete with the spas would be an unrealistic goal for Crossroads as the money that would need to be spent on upgrading the "hospitality" end of the facility can be better used in the actual treatment.

Yet Crossroads themselves admit they have tried to compete with the spas and you still maintain it is unfair to believe the operation of the facility as a possible reason for its failure until you have more info.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

cv23 wrote:You and others have jumped on the government for not providing more/enough funding without any information on the subject yet now when the operation of the facility providing the service, under government contract which you claim is considered "easy money", is questioned you want more info?

It can go either way cv23, my experience holds the possibility of arbitrary cutbacks higher than the possibility of inefficiency at the site in question, but I have to admit that it could go either way.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

cv23 wrote:Yet Crossroads themselves admit they have tried to compete with the spas and you still maintain it is unfair to believe the operation of the facility as a possible reason for its failure until you have more info.

People go to spas these days when they fall off the wagon?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

cv23 wrote:Yet Crossroads themselves admit they have tried to compete with the spas and you still maintain it is unfair to believe the operation of the facility as a possible reason for its failure until you have more info.

I didn't read that article cv23, is it still online somewhere?

Facilities like Crossroads and the spa-type operations are two different animals. The higher end outfits are more like a resort, Crossroads could be better termed a clinic. It's how the money is spent and how much the "patient" has to spend. And yes, I do maintain that it is unfair to draw conclusions without adequate information at hand, it should be understood here that we are speaking in likelihoods and possibilities.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote:I didn't read that article cv23, is it still online somewhere?

Check the start of this thread
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote:It can go either way cv23, my experience holds the possibility of arbitrary cutbacks higher than the possibility of inefficiency at the site in question, but I have to admit that it could go either way.

There has never been any mention of funding cutbacks to Crossroads.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

cv23 wrote:There has never been any mention of funding cutbacks to Crossroads.

No there hasn't, just Crossroads saying it needed $132.00 per day per bed and that IH was offering $92.00 per day per bed. Perhaps a more adequate term would have been "funding shortfall". Again, the info is incomplete, we know little of Crossroads alternate funding sources if any, and just what sort of expenses the $132.00 is meant to cover. Couldn't see anything about the spa/competition aspect either.

It seems there are two separate discussions going on here, one specific to Crossroads' financial situation and one of a more philosophical nature, that of providing free treatment for addiction. It would be good to keep these two topics separate, as I can't comment on the specifics of Crossroads' finances since I'm not privy to the numbers, I can only generalize and speculate.

As to the topic of providing addiction treatment as part of provincial healthcare, I'd say by all means go for it. Personally I see no valid reason not to.

Return to “Central Okanagan”