Crossroads Closing

cv23
Guru

Re: Crossroads Closing

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote: The idea that an addict's thought processes are basically different from "normal" people is foreign to them so they can't help but view the issue in their own terms. .

So are you saying addiction is a mental health issue rather than a physical health issue?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i will say with out a doubt or a shred of proof that it is both a mental and physical issue . depends on the substance crack is all mental heroin its more a physical addiction .
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

cv23 wrote:Necro , could you explain the link between your very eloquent physical abuse post and the lack of available funding the Crossroads treatment facility is facing which after all is the topic of this thread?
You say you attended Crossroads, are you a success story?
What do you think the problems are that have resulted in Crossroads losing money to the point they are forced to close?
Could you also tell us other than paying the same taxes all working people in Canada pay what you have given back to the system that has given you treatment for some form of addiction?

ho hum.

Crossroads is facing the same spending cuts as are many facilities that have been the focus of a variety of public witch hunts. Google is your friend.

"You say you attended Crossroads, are you a success story?"

Yes.

What do you think the problems are that have resulted in Crossroads losing money to the point they are forced to close?

public funding, the stigma attached to mental heath. I could not imagine living in a society where health care is not a right..could you?

"Could you also tell us other than paying the same taxes all working people in Canada pay what you have given back to the system that has given you treatment for some form of addiction?"

Gnashing your teeth behind a keyboard does nothing to solve any problems.

I said before I have paid my taxes for 25 years, that entails me to whatever benefits being a Canadian Citizen may entail, show me an addict that has not paid their um...dues?

you have nothing.

at all.
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

So to paraphrase you have no real answers to correct the problem Crossroads faces other than raise taxes to generate more government funding because by paying taxes we all should all be entitled to free healthcare no matter the issue or the expense?
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

cv23 wrote:So to paraphrase you have no real answers to correct the problem Crossroads faces other than raise taxes to generate more government funding because by paying taxes we all should all be entitled to free healthcare no matter the issue or the expense?

um.

we all pay taxes for free heath-care.

just an an fyi.

:)
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

cv23 wrote:So to paraphrase you have no real answers to correct the problem Crossroads faces other than raise taxes to generate more government funding because by paying taxes we all should all be entitled to free healthcare no matter the issue or the expense?

in a word..

yes.

increase taxes.

problem with that?

I've paid 100's of thousands of dollars in taxes, why not for those that need it?

why not?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Not buying the act
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

cv23 wrote:Not buying the act

"moving the goalposts" does little to advance your cause.

thanks for trying tho.

cwannabe
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

cv23 wrote:So are you saying addiction is a mental health issue rather than a physical health issue?

It has both it's physical and mental aspects, but treatment is generally mental in nature. There is no medicine to correct addiction, only to relieve discomfort.

Within reason, yes. Healthcare is something we expect in this country. Mental health issues are not as "glamourous" as cancer or heart disease in the public eye so are subject to funding cuts because there are plenty of people like you to not give a damn. It's not that these service are not worth supporting, it's that the government bean-counters see them as easy prey when money gets short.

cv23 wrote:Could you also tell us other than paying the same taxes all working people in Canada pay what you have given back to the system...

How about you cv23? Free primary/secondary education, healthcare, etc., what have you given the system in return?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote:How about you cv23? Free primary/secondary education, healthcare, etc., what have you given the system in return?

I could say like some others here "Look here, I pay and have paid lots of taxes that is more than be enough" but as I've previously stated I make what I feel is a sizeable annual donation to the Cancer Society.. I also do some (limited) volunteer work not related to healthcare, education or any other government programs. Thankfully I have been healthy enough not to have taken more from the healthcare system than I have contributed.
Fluffy you've told us you volunteer for AA. What have any others of you posting in this thread given back?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I get where you're coming from, I just don't agree with your position. I think addiction treatment should be subject to full healthcare coverage like any other affliction. I think it comes under the economic axe too often because the government realizes full well that a significant portion of the electorate don't addiction as a "legitimate" disease. I disagree with them too.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

With the volumes upon volumes of research findings already so easily accessible from the Internet a mere few key strokes away, I find the ignorance of this topic as displayed here on this thread simply mind-boggling.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

well to be fair if it hasnt touched u in some way .. there is no reason for a lot of ppl to even think of the problems faced by some ppl on the edges of society
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

theyeti wrote:well to be fair if it hasnt touched u in some way .. there is no reason for a lot of ppl to even think of the problems faced by some ppl on the edges of society

You mean other than compassion or social responsibility? I don't know much about lung cancer either, other than that it is mainly caused by smoking, but I don't advocate that we make them pay extra too.

There is a basic tendency among much of the populace to hold mental health patients in general, and addicts in particular in a second class position when it comes to the healthcare most take for granted. To me this is not right. It's there to be sure, but it's not right.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote: I think it comes under the economic axe too often because the government realizes full well that a significant portion of the electorate don't addiction as a "legitimate" disease.

Could you point out where crossroads funding is being axed or even cut in some way? From all the information I've read IH is willing to continue to fund Crossroads and it is Crossroads themselves who simply can't operate within the budget provided them. No evil governments bean counters cutting them short as easy prey just a business who can not operate within the funds made available to them.

Return to “Central Okanagan”